PDA

View Full Version : Atom Egoyan recomendations?

pmw
09-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Can anyone recomend some Atom Egoyan films; Id like to rent something. Ive seen "Sweet Hereafter" and "Exotica" and loved both of them.
Thanks,
Peter

Johann
09-24-2002, 02:27 AM
Atom is in my town two weeks from now for the International Film Festival. I hope to meet the man. He will be discussing his new film Arrarat. I'll let you know how it is.

BTW I live in Calgary Alberta Canada

pmw
09-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Great, please do. Im looking forward to Arrarat. Not playing at the NY Film Fest, happening here this week.

pmw
10-07-2002, 11:06 PM
Nice work on the conversational front. Its always goods to go off-topic with smart directors. Looking forward to Ararat.

8 women is actually showing here and I need to go see it. Thanks for the rec.

Seeing Friday Night by Claire Denis tomorrow at NYFF. Looks to be good; Ill let you know...

Whats Rabbit Proof Fence about?

P

Johann
10-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Rabbit Proof Fence is about a family who beats the oppression of it's govenment- by running for a fence. A "rabbit proof fence"- literally. Very moving. Very powerful. The music by Peter Gabriel really drives it home.

A story about a political situation I had no clue about. Films can be educational. Like "The Endurance", I was very moved by this film. Like I say, highly recommended.

Johann
10-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Oh, I'd like to say that 8 Women was AWESOME. A little bizarre, but if you're open minded enough, you should get a few laughs.

Yes, they sing.....a naughty funny film. Your review yay or nay would be great.

pmw
10-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Just an addendum. This is part of the forthcoming update to the NYFilm Fest review. Claire Denis' "Friday Night":

Every rose has its thorn. Carpe Diem. When God gives you lemons... And so goes the film "Friday Night" by Claire Denis. The moral: Sleeping with random guys you see in traffic jams can be liberating and modern. True perhaps, but there must be easier/cheaper ways of getting at that, like an advice column in a glossy magazine or something. Two hours with very little dialogue and lots of empty space. The silence is deafening (note the cliche).

pipsorcle
10-31-2002, 01:24 AM
I believe the release date for Atom Egoyan's "Ararat" is November 15th, limited. You should check at Landmark Theatres because they're great supporters of independent, foreign, and auteur filmmaker's motion pictures.

www.landmarktheatres.com

oscar jubis
11-03-2002, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pmw
[B]Can anyone recomend some Atom Egoyan films. Ive seen "Sweet Hereafter" and "Exotica" and loved both of them.
Sweet and Exotica are his best. By then, this Cairo-born Canadian had developed narrative continuity to go along with his wit and courage. Many of his early films had their American premiere here at the Miami Film Fest. I'd say watch Speaking Parts first. If agreeable, rent Family Viewing. These films are brilliant though a bit cold and detached. By The Adjuster, Egoyan was finding ways to inject feeling into his films and refine his narrative skills. The rest of his films are at least worth watching.

docraven
11-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Johann
Now, films I saw that I recommend highly as well:

Hollywood Bollywood (Mehta- met her as well, sweet woman) Johann:

Could you tell me a bit about "Hollywood Bollywood" as you saw it? I'm familiar with "Fire" and "Earth", and it was my understanding that she was heading into the final film in her trilogy, "Water", but had her original location sabotaged. She has found a new shooting location, and the film will be finished in 2003. I don't know how "Hollywood Bollywood" fit into the picture. I presume it is highly tongue in cheek, but would be quite interested in your assessment.

Johann
11-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Bollywood Hollywood was indeed tongue in cheek. It had great musical numbers and was filmed in Toronto. If you're familiar with Bollywood at all (I've seen about 50 films or so) you will love all of the pointed references to forbidden love and family values, which pretty much ALL bollywood movies are about....

Some classic Bollywood:

Mother India
Devdas (take your pick of three versions)
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Mohabete
Shakti

docraven
11-05-2002, 02:30 AM
I've only seen some fifteen or twenty Bollywood films. My favorite is DIL SE, but that film seems not to be very typical. They all seem to be about three hours long, and no matter what kind of story, there have to be about four or five musical numbers. India's answer to MTV. I'm going to check out some of the titles you've suggested.

Johann
11-09-2002, 05:38 AM
Dil Se is very good, but there are better ones with Shah rukhan- the famous bollywood actor- Devdas premiered at Cannes this year (I think that was a first for bollywood!) and you should see it. Some great scenes- the two mothers arguing is stunning, and I loved the songs so much I bought the soundtrack.

Also, this week I watched a powerful film about the 1947 separation of India (Hindustan) and Pakistan that a hindi friend recommended to me. It's called GADAR and I would recommend it in turn to anybody. A little more serious than most bollywood, it still has humour and of course the standard singin' & dancin'.