PDA

View Full Version : Code 46 - One of the Best for 2003-4

tabuno
09-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Initially I had rated this movie as a seven star. But on reflection and the more I thought about it, this movie like Bladerunner it builds on a movie style and adds its own flare to it.

Code 46 is a mixed between "Lost in Translation" and "Clockwork Orange." The cinematograhy in Code 46 is amazing and the subtle layered but simple use of futurist concepts is perfect. The atmosphere is well captured and adds not detracts from the storyline, the actors do not take over the movie but their story and their characters do.

The blend of different languages, the sleek lines and appearance, the surrealistic images, and the backdrop all lend real substance to this movie. Like "Lost in Translation" this movie allows its audience to absorb and experience the powerful images and sounds that can seep into one's inner core.

The concepts of cloning, parenting, memory, corporate conspiracy...are powerfully presented in an experiential way, not trotted out in simple, easy to understand, by the numbers mainstream movies.

Although there were a few script, plot weaknesses perhaps, especially one towards the end, hopefully they really do not detract from the movie's real breakthrough significance. It would be wonderful to have a sequel to continues this story. Nine out of ten stars.

arsaib4
09-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Even though I'm not willing to call it one of the best films from this year, it's certainly one of the more 'interesting' films i've seen recently. To me it's narrative just didn't remain coherent enough to be called successful in the end but just the idea itself is noble and well executed running roughshod over most of the pseudo-scifi films produced in this side of the Atlantic every year. What Winterbottom is able to do with a very small budget is remarkable and it's a pleasure to watch the immensely talented Samantha Morton in anything. Too bad the film hasn't registered with most people in the U.S upon it's release last month. Code 46 certainly will be on my most underrated list from this year.

HorseradishTree
09-20-2004, 08:27 PM
What the--? This came out?! Wow, I thought it had a while to go...

arsaib4
09-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by HorseradishTree
What the--? This came out?! Wow, I thought it had a while to go...

LOL,....... that's exactly what I meant and i'm sure you're not the only one who didn't know. It opened in NY/LA on Aug 6th and has expanded since then. To my knowledge the most screens it played on was 21 on Aug 25, then basically MGM/UA didn't go any further as the grosses weren't up to par. It's safe to say that it didn't make it to where you live.

'Code 46' premiered at Venice late last year and has also played at Toronto and Rotterdam where it generated good reviews but for some reason it got lost along the way. It just opened in the U.K last week even though it's a british film while the Russian dvd is already available.

arsaib4
10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
MGM will release the R1 dvd of Code 46 on December 28th.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5004&n=1&k=code+46&burl=r%3D0%26g%3Dinfo%26s%3D1%26k%3Dcode%2B46