PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption

cinemabon
10-09-2004, 12:29 PM
The shrimp shick what? The shank shrim redeemer? It was great to see Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, Clancy Brown, James Whitmore, Gil Bellows along with writer/director Frank Darabont recall their memories of one of the greatest films ever made. If you have somehow missed this film in your lexicon, I would suggest you rush out now and rent or buy it right away.

The Shawshank Redemption is a magnificent story told by a prime storyteller, Steven King. Based on his book, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, the film tells the story of Andy Dufresne, wrongly accused for the murder of his wife, and the time he spends in prison, dreaming of the day when he can finally be vindicated for the crime. But this is no ordinary film about life in prison. It goes way beyond that. And this difficulty to describe that very feeling goes to the core of why the film failed to be a commercial success on its initial release. A prison film? No, thanks. And many did pass.

But the thing about this movie is that it resembles more of a film lilke "It's a Wonderful Life" than it does a movie about life in prison. This isn't Oz on HBO. This is a period piece that offers hope and enlightenment to those who suffer through life. It is a tale that lifts the spirit and mind together. Few films can boast those qualities.

The DVD is wonderful to watch with all its secret-revealing extras on disc two. To any who loved this film, you must have this disc set, if only for watching the first documentary alone (that runs over two hours). I laughed my ass off when Tim Robbins and others were telling how people came up to them on the street and told them, "I just loved you in that Shrim shaw thing..." There is nothing not to like about The Shawshank Redemption, except maybe the title.

arsaib4
10-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Yes, it's me. I'm the only person left in this country who still hasn't watched this film. I'm somewhat ashamed of the fact that even though I've seen films from countries most people haven't even heard of, somehow this film has continued to elude me. I don't believe there's another film which has played on TBS more than this but the couple of times i've come across it, i've ended up switching the channel at the next commercial break but not becuase it bored me but I just didn't get involved. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I always miss the beginning.

However, I'm interested to know the reasons it has grown so much in popularity both among critics and the masses since it's release considering the fact that it doesn't have any big names attached to it nor it's a sci-fi extravaganza.

wpqx
10-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Honestly the more films I see, the less I like this particular movie. Not to knock any fans of it, lord knows I was one of the biggest, but it seems to be a film that people not too familiar with film love. Plus it is impossible to break through ductile iron with a rock, I don't care who the hell you are, I'm a plumber and I know, it is really, really impossible.

cinemabon
10-10-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm detecting a certain level of guilty pleasure here, gentlemen. A film does not have to come from Sweden or Japan and be great. True these countries are turning out amazing stuff. Just look at a post by Oscar Jubis or the highly regarded Howard Schumann, or Johann. Still, if it waddles, quacks, and goes to water like a ... oh, well, you get the analogy. Great films sometimes have universal appeal. Perhaps that is what makes them great. To say they are great all the time is redundant. I feel The Third Man is sublimely great. But not every single day. I put it into perspective.

Shawshank is a film that hits on many levels. It is both personal and yet universal. But aren't most films an acquired taste? I love a good story. But a good story about mass murderers is not a good story to me. Some like horror. Some like westerns. This is a story about being able to redeem yourself when the world has turned against you. If you've never felt that before, I suggest you go out and live for a while. Believe me, sooner or later, life will come up and kick you in the gut. When it does, The Shawshank Redemption will seem like a classic.

I will now set my orange crate aside and go on with my life.

HorseradishTree
10-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Nice post, cinemabon! I wholeheartedly agree!

JustaFied
10-12-2004, 05:45 PM
This movie really moved me when I first saw it (10 years ago, or so), but I'm afraid to say I've become somewhat cynical about it since then. When you think about it, the obvious theme of the movie is the parallel of life to a prison term, the only thing you have is hope, keep chisseling away at the wall in the hope of escape (i.e. retirement to the beach). To me, one reason for its widespread popularity (as evidenced by its seemingly non-stop running on cable TV) is its connection on this level with the mainstream TV viewer, and I think that's kind of depressing. It seems to suggest some sort of widespread feeling of futility or an inability to escape the shackles of life.

Am I wrong? What else is there? Why is it such a personal movie to so many people?

vintine
01-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmm... I still enjoying the ending part...
Morgan Freeman's monologue is significant
and defined the spirit of this film.

cinemabon
01-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I had to laugh at the voice over from Freeman and Robbins when they stated they were about to have their "gay" moment on the beach at the end. Freeman's argument seemed pedantic at first, until I started thinking about it. Two men spend their life in prison, and as soon as they're released, they can't wait to get together in Mexico? Freeman then begs the question, "... and do what? My character knew nothing about ship building. What else was he going to do for Andy? As for Andy, he had already professed his disdain for the opposite sex." He goes on to say (kiddingly?) that he felt the public "miss the boat" on that one.

At first I found the idea appalling and revolting until I saw Freeman's point, that it does strike one as being rather odd, that's all.