PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays, thanks for another great year

Johann
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
I just wanna wish everybody a Merry Christmas, one filled with cinematic gifts and treasures.

It's been a great year for movies and movie discussions. I've learned a lot and continue to learn from everyone who posts on these boards. We have a really great group of opinionated people here, and hopefully we'll have more in 2005.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.
(Let's pray Scorsese gets his Oscar this time)

pmw
12-16-2004, 10:26 AM
and to you, sir. Thanks for keeepig it interesting. Really hoping to make some improvements to the site this year. Time time time time....

Great to have everyone here. Have a gret New Year!
P

PS Bestt of 2004?

arsaib4
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
I wish you the same, Johann.

JustaFied
12-17-2004, 06:06 PM
You too Johann. It was a great year...kind of, except that there was once again a rash of bad to mediocre films, and then there was that damn election thing. Things are a little nuts down here, thinking of moving to Canada, how's the weather up there? Just kidding, I'm proud to be An American.

Appreciate the vast film knowledge of the regular posters here, including you of course.

JustaFied
12-18-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Johann
Hey, America rocks man. The people in the States are not the problem. It's your government.
But I don't wanna start any more wars, so, that's that.

Unfortunately, it was U.S. people who elected this government. We had a chance to throw them out on their collective asses and we didn't do it. Yeah, they were manipulated in many ways to believe that Bush & Republicans are more moral and patriotic and better Terrorist Fighters than the Dems, but still, the election of Kerry should have been a no-brainer this year after all the shit the Bush Administration pulled. But, agree, no more wars, so end of discussion on my part.

Disappointing that Brooks has apparently gone downhill with Spanglish. It looked like it could have been decent, but apparently it's not. I won't waste my money and time to see it. Remember, he was one of the early producers of The Simpsons, and he supported Wes Anderson at the beginning by producing Bottle Rocket, so there was some hope there for this film.

Did you like Ocean's Eleven? The sequel looks like more of the same, so I'd imagine one's reaction to the first film would be a good go-by. Soderbergh's a professional at least, so it can't be that bad, though watching a bunch of pretty stars preening may get old.

One film that looks absolutely terrible to me is National Treasure. Evidently the story involves stealing the Declaration of Independence because a hidden treasure map is encoded on its back. It's an absurd concept, and it's really cynical for the filmmakers to play off some misguided sense of patriotrism, as well as Middle America's fuzzy interest in American history and government. I bet some people left the theater thinking they were more enlightened about the Founding Fathers and Checks & Balances and all that other government stuff. Maybe I'm the only one who's cynical here.

Also on the list: The Passion of the Christ. Don't really want to rekindle some of the past arguments here, but this was a grossly manipulative, Biblically inaccurate film. I'd put it on my "Worst of 2004" list if I were to make one.

cinemabon
12-21-2004, 03:07 PM
There's a rumor out there that the Republicans have been preparing for this election for four years, making certain to have key people in places where they could discount thousands, if not millions of votes.

Oh, wait. Maybe that was just a delusional result of that joint I shared with a few of my friends last week.

At any rate, I would join with our fearless leader in wishing everyone a great holiday season and hoping our new year will bring us many enjoyable hours before the silver screen.

Johann
12-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Rummy sounded so sincere today on CNN: "It affects me to the core" re: needless deaths.

Sure.
I can feel your grief, Donny.
I feel it good.
Right through my f*@#ing T.V.

Didn't see Oceans Eleven. I couldn't see how in any way they could improve on the original.

Spanglish is one of those "warm and fuzzy" movies marketed for the holidays. It's supposed to be Hollywood's attempt to connect with all the "real" people in Middle America who live lives just like those in Brooks' movie. Why the hell do I want to see "reality" in this way? I don't. I get NOTHING from movies like spanglish. Except maybe a true test of my patience. I avoid movies like this like the PLAGUE. Think Home Alone only much, much worse..