PDA

View Full Version : No Movie Can Compare with Television's 24

tabuno
02-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Sometimes in comes down the medium. Sometimes the visual and audio experience cannot be satisfactorily presented in a movie format and it is the intimate, long-length, character and plot twist driven material of "24" on Fox Television that can only be produced for television that such an experience cannot be replicated as a theatrical movie. In short television, has at times a superior position when it comes to complexity, opportunity to experience character growth and development, a historical and intimate connection with a film-like experience that movies will never be able to obtain, unless sometime in the future some radical paradigm shift occurs. After having watched 24 episodes of 24 of season three, I have come to the solid conclusion that true movie-afficionados who eskew television are truly missing out on some of the greatest psychological and emotional experiences in the entertainment business.

Chris Knipp
02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Interesting and valid points. One remembers that Kieslowski's Dekalog was done for TV. And Gandalfini has never been in movies the complex figure he became as Tony Soprano. And compare the wonderful British TV miniseries Trafik with Soderberg's fine, but relatively schematic ,movie Traffic.

pmw
02-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I am a huge fan of 24 as well. I just finished season 3 on dvd. I would reccomend to any first time viewer not to watch it on a weekly basis on television but to rent the dvd's and watch 3 or 4 hours at a time. Quite a ride and with no ugly hangovers.
P

Chris Knipp
02-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Have not doine 24 that way yet, though I see it's out. Have done Six Feet Under and Oz via dvd though not all of them.