PDA

View Full Version : THX-1138 director's cut

Johann
02-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I bought the George Lucas 2-disc DVD set and it is excellent.

The film is digitally restored and the picture is very clean, clear.
I can tell Lucas tweaked the SFX for some shots- is anybody surprised? After all, he did say "All art is never finished. It is only abandoned".

Well, no complaints from me. THX is a superb DVD.

The special features get high marks.

An original featurette from the early 70's is very good- "Bald". It shows cast members getting their heads shorn for the film and LUH cries....

"A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope" is the best thing about the DVD. Any film buff will love this doc.

Lucas, Spielberg, Milius, Coppola and even Marty Scorsese expound on the bright horizon that loomed before these ambitious young artists. It "existed because of Francis' vision", and Coppola says he wanted Zoetrope to echo "Kerouac, bohemian life, "La Boheme", beat poems, pretty girls".
Richard Dreyfuss narrates and insights from Caroll Ballard and Walter Murch help us to understand the times.

"Artifact from the Future" is also well worth watching.
Lucas says "THX wasn't about the future. It was a parable about the way we were living in 1970".

Excellent film and one of the best DVD's I've seen.

arsaib4
02-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Believe it or not, I've never seen this one. Can't wait to get a hold of it. I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars so hopefully I won't be disappointed, although, judging from the trailers and such, it certainly has a different feel to it.

Speaking of Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith will open Cannes this year.

Johann
02-26-2005, 01:27 PM
oh that's just wrong.

How did he wrangle that?

Rent it before you buy it, arsaib- you might think it's a boring movie. Many people hate/don't understand THX.