PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite revenge genre films ?

KL70
03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
What are your favorite live action or even animated (English or foreign language) revenge genre films, where a male or female character desired revenge for any valid reason/s and please state why, for each films named ?

oscar jubis
03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Welcome to Filmwurld! How do you feel about revenge? Why not contribute by telling us which are YOUR favorites in this genre of sorts? Where are you located?

Cowman
03-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Although virtually everybody else seems to hate it, one of my all-time favorite revenge movies is Meir Zarchi's I Spit On Your Grave. I Spit... follows a young female novelist named Jennifer Hill from her bustling, big-city life to a remote country cottage in order to work on her latest feminist-themed book, only to be repeatedly raped and violated by four lecherous men (one of whom is retarded). Hill, with her will now utterly destroyed, partakes on a trail of revenge, unsympathetically eliminating each of her torturers in particularly gruesome ways.

This isn't really a movie one should enjoy watching, but I certainly found it to be a powerful little film. Camille Keaton's performance--particularly during the rape scenes--is excruciatingly realistic, and every precaution is taken to make sure these scenes are as authentically simulated as possible. Despite what you may have read, these scenes are not erotic or sexually stimulating in the least, and those who accuse the film of trying to glorify or eroticize rape have obviously not seen a single frame of this movie. But even though the aforementioned rape scenes are brutal, harrowing, overlong, and downright repugnant, I actually liked the director's choice to make them so shocking. After all, this is rape we're watching--one of the most heinous crimes able to be perpetrated by man--and too many movies before and after this seem to portray rape as more of a nuisance than as a life-changing trauma.

Although this film (whose original, intended title was Day of the Woman before it was changed by distributors) is often discounted as perverted, mysoginistic garbage, I actually found it to be more anti-male and pro-woman than the other way around. After all, every male in the cast is a sex-crazed, heartless, barbaric lunatic who has no qualms about assaulting a frail, helpless woman; and the principle woman in the cast is a generally good-natured individual who happens to be a victim of a violent, male-dominated world. Indeed, these are two very extreme ways of looking at the different genders, but for this movie it seems to work very well.

tabuno
03-09-2005, 01:25 AM
As Dogville (2004) starring Nicole Kidman being one of the best movies of 2004 and ranks among the best on my list of my favorites, the nature of this movie could qualify it as a revenge movie. Yet what makes this movie a revenge movie also makes it special as a revenge movie in its build up and conclusion (without given anything away).

Cowman
03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Aww, man... I still gotta see that one... I just saw Dancer in the Dark recently, and I was utterly blown away, so I can't wait to see Dogville!