PDA

View Full Version : Elia Kazan WOO HOO

wpqx
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Well some of you may know that I'm quite the Elia Kazan fan around here. Now several Kazan films have been availiable on DVD almost as long as DVD's have been available. However the release of his films came to a near standstill.

Good news abounds however. In just a matter of weeks Panic in the Streets (one of his long out of print films made for 20th Century Fox is getting a grand DVD release, complete with audio commentary). The film is to be part of a film noir boxed set from Fox which also includes Otto Preminger's Laura, but the films are all available separately.

Here comes the confusing part. An earlier Kazan film from Fox known as Pinky is also reportedly available. When I say confusing bear with me. The DVD was supposedly released on January 11th of this year. Problem is there are no features of any kind listed. There is a link to buy the DVD, but the page on Barnes and Noble only has the option of add to wishlist, and no price is listed. DVD planet, which carries Fox films, also has no link or page regarding the film. I have no idea where this film is available, but I wish someone could answer this for me, because I haven't seen Pinky and I most certainly would like to. Good news is around the corner though, because the Fox Movie Channel (which you may or may not get, will be showing the film on the 21st and 22nd of March). I think I'm just gonna try and catch it there, while I wonder about the DVD.

Warner Bros. on the other hand is doing a little more obvious work. Kazan had quite a career for this studio, which brought about East of Eden, A Face in the Crowd, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Splendor in the Grass. Well A Face in the Crowd is getting the DVD treatment and is being released on May 10th. Like Panic in the Streets this is also to be part of a boxed set of "controversial classics" which includes:

Advise and Consent (1962) - I'm more excited about this than Face in the Crowd.

The Americanization of Emily (1964)

Bad Day at Black Rock (1954)

Blackboard Jungle (1955)

Fury (1936) - another cause for celbration

I am a Fugitive From a Chain-Gang (1932) - the best of this bunch

Again I have not been able to find any special features listed for Face in the Crowd, but hey at least it's coming out. Not exactly his best film, but an absolute essential for any Andy Griffith fan.

More importantly (hence why I'm saving it for last) is East of Eden. The last of James Dean's films to be released on DVD is ironically the first film he made. In my humble opinion East of Eden is Dean's best film, and damn close to Kazan's best. A true masterpiece of 50's cinema, that is satisfying both in its acting and techincal craft. Truly a remarkable film, which is seeing a release date set for two weeks after A Face in the Crowd. This film is going to be a two disc special edition, and is also gonna be part of a yet to be released James Dean collection. So for those procrastinating on getting Rebel Without a Cause and Giant on DVD (like me) this is a good chance to pick up all three.

Now perhaps I'm ranting and raving, but I'm honestly pleased with this news. I haven't been able to find a link for the supposed Fox Noir boxed set, but March 15th is going to be the release date of Laura and Call Northside 777.

I've also heard that this is date of a Classic Hollywood Musicals boxed set, which will include a 2 disc version of The Band Wagon, Easter Parade, Finian's Rainbow, Bells are Ringing, and Brigadoon.

Also just released yesterday is a Classic Comedies pack which includes Bringing Up Baby, Dinner at Eight, Libeled Lady, The Philadelphia Story, Stage Door, and To Be Or Not To Be.

Personally I don't remember Stage Door being a comedy, but hey at least it's on DVD.

BTW I know this was supposed to be about Kazan and I went WAY off subject, but forgive me, some people need to be reminded when great AMERICAN films are being released.