PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Up Baby/The Philadelphia Story

cinemabon
03-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Warner Brothers Home Video has released this week two classic and classy DVD’s in the films, “Bringing Up Baby,” and “The Philadelphia Story.” While both films pack a great punch with their witty repartee and polished presentations, the DVD’s also include a special packaging of their own. These are double disc releases, the kind film collectors have come to expect from the Hollywood Studio’s reissues. As is the case, sometimes, the supplemental material almost shines better than the original film. That is the case with both DVD sets.

For “The Philadelphia Story,” the fine restoration folks at Turner have given us a parting look at Katherine Hepburn as she tells the story of her own life in rather private terms. Yes it is over emotional at times, but that is exactly what fans want to see, Hepburn performing one more time, even if it is supposed to be autobiographical. Still, the feature length documentary is full of a few surprises and contains a rather fine compilation of her work. The second feature, “The Men who made the movies,” was a failed attempt at a television show, resurrected from the trash heap with only glimpses of what former movie maker George Cukor was really like. But scenes of Cukor just recanting the plot are hardly interesting. On the main DVD, commentary by film historian Jeannine Basinger is rather bland, with a few insights but mostly an explanation of scenes that are quite apparent to anyone with an elementary education.

The real gem of these two films is “Bringing Up Baby,” Howard Hawks’ production that gave Grant his famous persona and launched his career into the heights of stardom. This DVD compilation is perfect from start to finish. Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich is full of anecdotes and insights, the way a commentary should be and not just a rehash of what’s up on the screen. The second disc has another great Turner documentary about Cary Grant that positively dispels the rumors and gossip that have existed about Grant for many years. Wife after lover after friend comes forward to give a raw guts retelling of Grant’s life. Some of the language is brutal but necessary to bring home the idea, this is an expose to find out just what is it about Grant that has fascinated so many of his fans and the public all through his life. Even caustic film critics are thrown into the mix. The result is a fine retelling of Grant’s life. The other documentary is that awful series, “The Men who made the movies.” (What? No, women involved?) This one is about Howard Hawks. You’d be better off reading a book about Hawks than to watch that. There are a few other gems thrown in for good measure on this DVD. The musical short “Campus Cinderella” is the white man’s fantasy of what basketball should be in 1938. The other is an animated short called, “A Star is Hatched,” another Warner/Hollywood send up which caricatures Hollywood personalities.

I’ve enjoyed these retrospective releases and applaud the studios for doing them. Anyone who is a film buff needs these DVD’s as a part of any serious collection of classic cinema.

That said, now for the criticism. The prints of both pictures are awful, with “The Philadelphia Story” being the worst. I’ve seen prints in bad condition but these films look like somebody walked into UCLA film archives, took one of their old scratchy flat 35mm prints and reprinted it. Not only are the prints in terrible shape, but a frame by frame analysis of some scenes show gross scratches across peoples faces in close up shots, tons of dust, dirt and other artifacts. I’ll eat a dozen hats if somebody says these are new prints. How could they be? Either the negatives are shot to hell, or somebody hasn’t heard that with computer technology, these prints can be made to look brand new. That’s the shame of it all. Sorry to end on such a sad note, but we are supposed to be celebrating the film itself, and they are in terrible condition. The contrast is flat, the blacks are nonexistent, and the prints are awash with artifact. So much for the claim on the jacket as being “digitally re-mastered.” By whom? An eighth grader? If I went to a retrospective and they showed prints like those in Los Angeles, the film buffs in the crowd would have booed the screen. That’s how bad they are. Oh, well, I bought them and I’m stuck with ‘em. But Warner Home Video should apologize to the viewing public and take off the “digitally re-mastered” claim because these weren’t.

arsaib4
03-04-2005, 08:27 PM
This is somewhat surprising to hear because Warners have done some good work with their recent releases including Casablanca, Goodfellas, the Gangster/Noir boxsets etc. Some have even called them the new "Criterion." Anyway, do you own the 2000 version of The Philadelphia Story? If you do, is it worth an upgrade just for the extra features?

oscar jubis
03-04-2005, 09:08 PM
www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDcompare9/the_philadelphia_story.htm

cinemabon
03-05-2005, 11:59 PM
That is an excellent site Oscar, however, they are using the cleanest frames. I found that with a progressive scan HDTV, the flaws are screamingly apparent. Frame after frame has cuts and scratches right through Hepburn's face. They had to really look for those clean frames. I'm sure the earlier releases were worse.

While the contrast may have partially improved, they could have cleaned these prints up beautifully for all time. Instead, they did a minimalist job. Also, I would agree that the total package is fun. I love these two films and enjoy watching them semi-annually like the Christmas films. I just wish the studios would plunk down what it takes to do them justice. That's all.

oscar jubis
03-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Mr. Tooze's dvdbeaver is a great resource. He doesn't contradict your observations. He writes: "I was initially suspicious of this new SE when I saw similar damage marks on the new transfer but the host of extras...." It's our job as consumers to demand that these objects of our affection be treated with the upmost respect. Tooze seems to be letting Warners off the hook too easily this time by minimizing the importance of the damage marks.

cinemabon
03-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I went to the core site and followed a few of those links around to see what other online reviewers were say. Generally, they were pleased with the packaging but mixed on the quality of the print. I took exception to one reviewer's comments that "Bringing Up Baby" was a pristine print. Dan Ramer, an engineer who also writes reviews responded with "...it's clear from the occasional black crush on the DVD that whatever processing had been done [by Warner Home Video] was not as extensive as the work performed on 'North by Northwest' or 'Lawrence of Arabia.'"

Please don't misunderstand. I really do like the packages and recommend them. I just feel that if these are to be the film's preserved for all time, they should have taken the time to ensure the prints were pristine. I guess we'll have to live long enough for the 100th Anniversary collection.

oscar jubis
04-29-2005, 08:33 PM
I watched The Philadelphia Story last night. The film provides a textbook definition of "prestige picture". It's based on a play Philip Barry wrote for Katherine Hepburn, a witty dramatic comedy full of quotable lines. Hepburn bought the rights to the play and picked George Cukor to direct it. Cukor had been at the helm of Holiday, also based on a Barry play and starring Hepburn and Cary Grant. By then Cukor had become an expert at "opening up" a play and "covering" a scene involving many characters and tone changes with grace and fluidity. Crew features cinematographer Joe Ruttenberg (4 Oscars, 11 noms) and art director Cedric Gibbons (11 Oscars, 39 noms!). The supporting cast is excellent also, but my favorite performance is Jimmy Stewart's, which resulted in his sole Oscar.

Like Cinemabon opined, the 1-hour The Men Who Made the Movies: George Cukor is not very good. It provides clips of Cukor's most popular movies and bits of bland commentary from the director. The feature avoids anything controversial, such as his break with his long time producer (Selznick) and the period of adaptation that followed. The feature was written, produced and directed by Time magazine critic Richard Schickel.
Katherine Hepburn's autobiographical doc is more interesting because she's quite candid about her life and career. I found it peculiar that, during the years before The Philadelphia Story, she was considered "box-office poison" in Hollywood. Sylvia Scarlett and Holiday are excellent films but they failed at the b.o. and that's why that explains why they're still not available on dvd (Holiday is available on UK dvd).

The commentary track is too obvious in spots but provides info on everyone involved in the film and some valuable insights, particularly about the adaptation process, Cukor's methods, and Ruttenberg's style.

cinemabon
04-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Here's another interesting tidbit:

In order to get Grant, Hepburn gave up her starring position and gave top billing to Grant (usually more money), who insisted on it. Grant also had a stipulation in his contract that read he was paid overtime for anything shot after 5 p.m. or past the scheduled completion date of the picture. He often tried to ask for multiple takes, just so Cukor would have to delay the production. But Cukor was wise to Grant, and had scenes without Cary shot on the weekends to keep the production on schedule. TPS finished on time and under budget.

When Cary went to New England for some location shots, along with Hepburn, he was stopped by some fans for an autograph. Grant readily gave them all an autograph, provided they pay him $.25 per signature. During the filming of "North by Northwest," Grant, already staying at the Plaza where the shoot was taking place, often walked over to the side of the set and sold his signature long enough to "buy my lunch."

oscar jubis
05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Very interesting indeed, cinemabon. I've been trying to imagine what it'd be like to have Gable and Tracy as the male protagonists. Hepburn wanted them as co-stars, but of course she didn't complain when she got Grant and Stewart. I purchased the Bringing Up Baby Special Edition and will post comments here after viewing.