PDA

View Full Version : Food! ;)

hengcs
03-26-2005, 08:31 PM
What kind of food do you like? or hate ... hiaks hiaks ...
;)

-- Chinese cuisine?
-- Japanese?
-- Korean?
-- Thai?
-- Singaporean? hee hee ...

-- French delicacies?
-- Italian?
-- German?
-- Mediterranean?
-- Mexican?

-- Fast Food?
etc, etc, etc

If you want to name the precise dish ... just do so ...
oops ... I am getting HUNGRY ...
ha ha ha

tabuno
03-27-2005, 05:12 PM
A more intriguing question to ask here is the parallel between what people like to eat and what movies they like to see, prefer, or perhaps even rate more leniently or stricter because of their food preference.

One movie that comes to mind that probably no sophisticated movie critic on this board has seen is Simply Irresistable starring Sarah Michelle Geller. This movie emphasizes quality presentation and emotional passion of the chef in the food preparation, part of which fascinates me about food.

hengcs
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Hmmm ... Some movies about food?

-- eat drink men women!!!
-- tampopo!!!

in fact, chinese has a lot of tv shows (rather than movies) abt food ...
why?
because there is a chinese saying
-- min yi shi wei tian
loosely translated to "people regard eating as heaven (the sky)!"
or simply "eating is everything" ... ha ha ha

;)

JustaFied
03-31-2005, 09:34 PM
What kind of food do I like? All of the types you listed sound great! I'm open for anything, and there's nothing that I particularly dislike.

Parallels to movies...I don't like junk...that's my only requirement. It's not good for you. McDonalds, no thanks.

Movies about food...how about Big Night with Stanley Tucci. I never saw it actually, but it was always one I wanted to see. And then there's that Greenaway film, The Cook, His Wife...

trevor826
04-08-2005, 04:06 AM
My favourite films about food are the ones that make the connection between food and passion/sex, ideal examples would include TAMPOPO, CHOCOLAT, LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE, EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN
and many more, I love all types of food apart from most fast foods but to me there is passion and sensuality in the preparation and eating of food.

arsaib4
04-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Welcome, Trevor! It’s good to see you here. You’ve certainly mentioned the right films when it comes to food and sex.

Big Night is a also a good example, and more importantly a great film. For some reason I always think of Scorcese’s Goodfellas when the subject comes up. I remember Liotta and co. out grocery shopping while they’re being monitored and on top of that Scorcese fetishizing over the liquefying process of many of the side dishes while the FBI helicopters are circling the sky. This was all a bit amusing to me, but having said that it's arguably the best film he's made in the last 20 years.