PDA

View Full Version : When the Last Sword is Drawn - Mibu gishi den (2003) Tartan R2

trevor826
04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Disc 1.

A surprisingly good film, surprising because it's from the director (Yojiro Takita) of The Yin Yang Masters which looks and plays like a really cheap made for TV drama.

When the Last Sword is Drawn is a jigsaw puzzle of a film with a sense of Twilight Samurai to it, I don't mean a jigsaw puzzle like 21 Grams but you get pieces of the story as seen from 2 different perspectives and they need to be pieced together to create the whole.

Very much an old school Samurai film but one where familial love comes above honour to the clan, set during the same Meiji period as The Last Samurai and sharing the same themes with the destruction of the Samurai/shogun and the modernization/westernization of Japan. One of the battle sequences bears a slight resemblance to it as well, Samurai armed with swords charging at Imperial troops armed with western guns and even a Gatling? gun.

The film did bring a tear to my eye, it has its moments of sadness, overall good acting, well constructed storyline and definitely worth seeing.

Disc 2

Extras include several mini making of docs.

Good interviews, each person has something interesting to say.

The rather banal presence of Film Premiere and press conference drag things down a touch but overall a good quality DVD.

Cheers Trev.

hengcs
05-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by trevor826
Disc 1.
A surprisingly good film, surprising because it's from the director (Yojiro Takita) of The Yin Yang Masters which looks and plays like a really cheap made for TV drama.

Hmmm ... I did recall posting something about it in the old foreignfilms.com, and a bit of it in the new forum. I also posted on YesAsia website on Feb 23, 2004.
see
http://us.yesasia.com/en/prodRvListPage.aspx?pid=1002793150&section=videos&code=j&

Anyway, Mibu Gishi Den won a lot of awards in Japan in 2004.

In Japan Academy Awards
-- Best Film, Best Actor, Best Sup Actor

In Kinema Junpo Awards
-- Best Film of 2004

;)

trevor826
05-08-2005, 05:40 PM
My notes were for the region 2 disc and were written around the time of its release. I know you wrote something but if it was for a DVD, it must have been the region 3 release.

Cheers Trev.