PDA

View Full Version : Alexander: the director's cut is shorter?

Johann
05-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Just learned that Oliver Stone's ALEXANDER (the film I named as last year's best) is being released twice on DVD on Aug. 2nd with the director's cut being SHORTER than the original theatrical version.

Warner Bros. has decided to release two versions- each with two different documentaries. I probably won't buy the director's cut because i felt the theatrical release was a masterpiece. I wanted 10 more hours of Alexander- not a film cut by almost 10 minutes.

It feels great defending this film when everyone else is slamming it. The Best Film of 2004.

I know the secrets...I know the passion...I know the Stone

arsaib4
05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Yup, you're right. The Direcotor's Cut is shorter.

I liked it quite a bit also as you know from our previous conversations. [1 (http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1121&highlight=alexander)/2 (http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1135&highlight=alexander)]

Some more info:

Alexander: Theatrical (2-Disc Special Edition)

175-minute Theatrical Cut
2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English and French DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Audio commentary by director Oliver Stone and historian Robin Lane Fox
Resurrecting Alexander documentary exploring the filming of Alexander
Perfect is the Enemy of God documentary - Provides an indepth look at the details that go into the filming of an epic
Vangelis scores Alexander soundtrack featurette

Alexander: Director's Cut (2-Disc Widescreen and Full Screen Editions)

167-minute Director's Cut
English DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Audio commentary by director Oliver Stone
Resurrecting Alexander documentary exploring the filming of Alexander
Perfect is the Enemy of God documentary - Provides an indepth look at the details that go into the filming of an epic
The Death of Alexander - shows interviews with the cast on how they prepared for their roles
Vangelis scores Alexander soundtrack featurette

The film is already available in many countries (http://www.davisdvd.com/images/spy/alexander_map.jpg). And for the record: It has now made more than $150 million worldwide.

Johann
05-17-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't recall typing "Alexander" in red...
Someone must "come forward" and "remove your mask". :)

The thing about Oliver Stone is he's able to give you that overall triumphant feeling after you see a film of his.
He's very adept at colossal entertainment with colossal weight.

Pauline Kael hated him and I think I know why.

Stone has misogynistic tendencies- a primal, raw MALENESS about his films. Women like Kael like their maleness to be smoldering (Brando in Last Tango), not ambitiously fierce (Farrell in Alexander). Pauline would have had some serious words for Oliver had she lived to see his latest, his best.

She would have moaned and groaned and probably would have been ecstatic that most of the critics were on her side this time.

I personally cannot wait for the DVD.

arsaib4
05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Good points. I do wonder however if the film would've won Kael over, if not with its sheer spectacle, then at least with the fact that - as you said - it's just a tad bit important.

I bet I saw Farrell smolder. How do you like your men? ;)

I was happy with the film the way it was. But if anyone is wondering, Stone hasn't just chopped off a few minutes from the theatrical cut, but rather, he's added a bunch of new scenes meaning that a lot from the original cut will be missing. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like.