PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember Dolly Bell?

Howard Schumann
06-06-2005, 10:34 AM
DO YOU REMEMBER DOLLY BELL? (Sjecas li se, Dolly Bell)

Directed by Emir Kusturica (1981)

Emir Kusturica's first film Do You Remember Dolly Bell? is a bittersweet comedy set in the former Yugoslavia during the 1960s. The film, which won the Golden Lion Prize at the 1981 Venice Film Festival, is both a coming of age story and a tribute to the city of Sarajevo, long before it was devastated by civil war. To the chagrin of his strict Communist father (Slobodan Aligrudic), sixteen-year old Dino (Slavo Stimac) is more into hypnosis and self-help mantras than Marxist ideology. He recites the phrase "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better" and sings in a new band mandated by the local Eastern European bureaucracy as they relax the Communist grip and allow some influence of Western culture.

Dino's family of six live in a cramped one-room house while they wait for state housing. The father drinks excessively and the family is poor. This is underscored when, during a visit to relatives, the youngest boy makes a point of saying how much he wishes he had a bicycle like the one he sees in the relative's home. Through Dino's relationship with Sonny, an unsavory pimp, he meets a cabaret singer and prostitute Dolly Bell (Ljiljana Blagojevic), named after a stripper in an Italian film they had seen recently at the Culture Club. Dolly is forced by Sonny to wait in the attic of Dino's home until he returns and Dino is a passive onlooker as a band of delinquent boys take their turn with her.

Dino's sweet innocence captivates the young girl, however, and the two form a bond that results in Dino's sexual initiation and first love affair. Dino has to cope with his father's illness, a lung cancer that has become life-threatening and their days together reveal a much mellower man who tells Dino he knew about the girl in the loft and no longer disapproves his using hypnosis and auto-suggestion. While Do you Remember Dolly Bell? lacks the polish and cinematic flair of Kusturica's later work, it is an honest and intelligent film that avoids sentimentality and provides compelling insight into what it meant to grow up in Eastern Europe during the sixties.

GRADE: B+

wpqx
06-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I thought it was Daisy Bell, oh well, shows what I know.

Howard Schumann
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
IMdb shows it as Dolly. Gotta follow the bible right? Just say Hello Dolly.

wpqx
06-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Not to get off the subject, but who's putting this DVD out, is it a region one disc, are there any special features, etc?

Not to detract from your review, just would rather have information regarding the dvd.

Howard Schumann
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by wpqx
Not to get off the subject, but who's putting this DVD out, is it a region one disc, are there any special features, etc?

Not to detract from your review, just would rather have information regarding the dvd. It's a Region 1 DVD and the studio is Koch Lorber but that's all I know. Here is one comment on the DVD:

"Koch Lorber's DVD of Do You Remember Dolly Bell? is an okay but unexceptional enhanced encoding of a film element lacking in good contrast or bright colors. The good acting and an interesting story hold our attention. There is a gallery of film stills and an interview with the bearded, soft-spoken director."

The interview with Kusturica is best described by another critic:

"I've heard plenty of filmmakers talk the anti-commercial talk, but until this DVD I've never seen one walk the walk. In the one substantial extra, Kusturica sits on-camera while an off-camera interviewer offers prompts. The director is noticeably uncomfortable, and not in a shy sort of way, but in a I-really-shouldn't-be-doing-this-commentary-to-sell-products sort of way. He talks about how cinema today is disconnected from the deeper psychological, philosophical, sociological, and historical contexts of life because today's society doesn't care about confronting questions.

They only care about shallow entertainment, and there is a tendency today "to turn everything into a video game." He credits Hollywood for teaching filmmakers important lessons through the 1970s, but since then? "The only idea American cinema has is bringing money to the coffers." And then, with one prompt annoying him, he grimaces and starts to rise . . . then is placated by the interviewer. But one question later, he rises and leaves in disgust. End of interview. Now that's an indie filmmaker! "

arsaib4
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Bravo! Thanks for that, Howard. Koch Lorber also released Kusturica's When Father Was Away on Business recently which I believe is a better film than Dolly Bell? Still waiting for someone to put out one of his best: Time of the Gypsies.

Howard Schumann
06-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by arsaib4
Bravo! Thanks for that, Howard. Koch Lorber also released Kusturica's When Father Was Away on Business recently which I believe is a better film than Dolly Bell? Still waiting for someone to put out one of his best: Time of the Gypsies. This week I am watching Underground and Time of the Gypsies. Funny you should mention that.

wpqx
06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I actually preferred When Father was Away and Underground to Time of the Gypsies, but Gypsies was my first Kustirica film, so I may not have had much of an idea what I was in store for. Shamefully I haven't yet seen Black Cat, White Cat, which I also hope makes it's way on DVD soon.

arsaib4
06-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Shamefully I haven't yet seen Black Cat, White Cat, which I also hope makes it's way on DVD soon.

I hope so too. I saw it on television once, can't say that I have a strong opinion about it one way or the other, but I'd like to see it again. I think there's an Australian DVD available.