PDA

View Full Version : Kieslowski's Trois Coleurs

Johann
08-21-2005, 03:18 PM
BLUE Liberty

Julie de Courcy is the survivor of an auto accident that claimed her daughter Anna and husband Patrice.

Patrice was a well-known composer, who was working on a concerto for the Unification of Europe ceremony.

This hypnotic spellbinding film is quite the journey.
Juliette Binoche gives a career-defining performance as Julie.
She wrestles with what direction her life should take and ultimately decides to live alone, because "nothing's important", "No friends. I don't want any belongings, any memories. No love. Those things are all traps".

She feels like she lost everything, and in a way she has. She finds out later that her hubby had an affair, and that the chicky he fucked is now pregnant.

She becomes friends with a woman who lives in her building that is "loose", a "whore".
Her neighbors all want to kick her out because she doesn't represent the ideals of the tenants. Julie refuses to sign a petition to have her kicked out.

She has flings, she works on the music her husband was working on, she is searching for something.

If anyone knows Kieslowski, they know that he's complex and
deep. His cinema is profoundly intelligent and you had better be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster ride.

Binoche is a classy French actress who won Best Actress at Venice (1993) for this film.

wpqx
08-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Surprised nothing has been written on this yet. Blue was my favorite of the series, although I would like to re-watch them all someday, but who knows when I'll have time. The opening of this film is one of the best I've ever seen.

Johann
08-21-2005, 03:30 PM
White Equality

Is a man equal to his wife?

This is the question, and by the end, Kieslowski gives us a probable answer.

Karol is married to Domenique.
Domenique wants a divorce because Karol has never consummated their marriage. They go to divorce court where Karol asks for time from the judge.

She takes him to the cleaners.
He's burned so bad by Ms. Vidal (played with sublimity by Julie Delpy) that he's reduced to playing the comb on the metro.

Music plays an important role in this film as it did in Blue.
Kieslowski punctuates the action with great musical flourishes.
Although the themes are different, the same sure hand guides each story. Karol is light years different from Julie de Courcey.

He's a loser, a fake man. He doesn't know what he wants, and Domenique shows him. She's like Alice in Eyes Wide Shut in a way.
She holds a lot of power over him, and by the last shot, she
still owns him.

I guess you could say this is another one of those "women are smarter than men" movies...

Genius European art from the Polish Master.