PDA

View Full Version : He hated art - Sturges' Unfaithfully Yours

cinemabon
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Unfaithfully Yours - Written and Directed by Preston Sturges

Criterion, known for its thorough and artistic endeavors in regards to film, has released another Preston Sturges masterpiece. This time they've released “Unfaithfully Yours,” a light comedy with dark under tones. This is a single disc DVD, a decent print with some occasional bad spots; two new shorts, one with Monty Python’s Terry Jones, the other with Sturges widow, Sandy. James Harvey, Brian Henderson, and Diane Jacobs do the audio commentary with a heavy emphasis on Sturges’ biography, social commentary and some background but very little about the scenes. They seem a little too full of their own intellectual prowess and less concerned about what they regard as a lesser offering. In fact, they discuss Sturges other films all the way through this film. I found the audio commentary while intelligent a complete bore.

Sturges wrote and directed all of his works, preceding directors like Billy Wilder and John Huston. However, his distinction lay in the fact all his scripts were original screenplays, written by Sturges each time. The likes of Hitch, Wyler, and many other contemporary directors of his day admired his wit and comic timing. His unfortunate death in 1959 was far too premature for this genius. He would have vehemently protested his films being regarded as art. He loved telling stories and felt they should stand on their own merit as tales able to be enjoyed repeatedly.

The plot of the story immediately takes over during the opening credits, behind which we see the main character conducting an orchestra. Music will play two completely different roles in the film. First, the classic score will underlie a macabre tone of intrigue and murder, including a rather gruesome scene where Rex Harrison, playing the conductor, imagines revenge on the wife he suspects has been unfaithful. In three introspective looks into his mind as he conducts each score, we see the three different ways he handles his wife’s infidelity, supported with classical music timed to highlight action on the screen. The great Alfred Newman conducted the score.

In the second part, the score then becomes the supporting backdrop of the conductor’s ineptitude. Attempting to recreate the fantasy version assassination of his wife or perform one of the other deeds, Harrison’s character, Sir Alfred de Carter, goes through hilarious motions of slapstick in one of the funniest scenes ever filmed, a forerunner to the Pink Panther films and the style later developed further by Blake Edwards.

Sturges uses his stock of characters usually seen in all his films. Unfortunately for this film, Rex Harrison’s girlfriend committed suicide two weeks before the picture was to be released. Darryl Zanuck scaled back the planned publicity only allowing the trailers and posters to mention the film being a “murder mystery,” far from the truth. Bewildered audiences were either disappointed it turned out to be a comedy or didn’t want to see a Sturges drama. The film flopped and ended Sturges streak of 8 great films in four years that began with “The Great McGinty.”

There are some definite gems on this DVD, but my favorite involves the documentary/interview with Sandy Sturges about Preston’s life and some of the people he knew. Born in Chicago, but raised in France, Preston’s mother, a friend of Isadora Duncan, dragged the poor young man all over Europe from one gallery to the next. He loathed art and according to Sandy, did not like classical music either (there are several jabs at classical music in the film). According to Sandy Sturges, Preston invited William Faulkner to a dinner one night at his place, the Player’s Club. When he introduced “William Faulkner” nobody flinched. A disappointed Sturges sat at one end of the table while Faulkner moved to the other. When people ask who he was, he told them he was a farmer, and other fables, which they believed not knowing his true identity. Unable to take it any longer, Sturges blurted out, “He won the Nobel Prize in Literature, for chrissakes!” Then everyone at the table flocked to Faulkner, ignoring Sturges. Unwilling to take this slight he added in a loud voice, “Sure he won the Nobel, but he’s only five feet tall!”

I can’t say I have a favorite Sturges film as I like them all for different reasons. He was the anti-Capra director, bringing a bit of reality along with mirth to his message. Some of his best gems, like “Miracle of Morgan’s Creek” and “Christmas in July” have yet to be released on DVD video. While other gems like “Palm Beach Story,” “Sullivan’s Travels,” and “The Lady Eve,” also Criterion are available now.

wpqx
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I think this may be Sturges best film, and I was damn enthusiastic after watching it. I'm not sure where I reviewed it, but I'll try and dig it up for you. This is by no means a lesser Sturges effort, and I hope in time it'll get the respect that other misunderstood classics now receive like Touch of Evil, The Searchers, or Vertigo.

cinemabon
08-27-2005, 08:19 PM
While "The Lady Eve" and "Unfaitfully Yours" were given decent treatments by Criterion, I look forward to one of the funniest films ever made, "Christmas in July." No film before or since ever made me laugh as much. If there is healing in mirth, then the doctor will have arrived the day this film is released. Film noir favorite Dick Powell (Marlowe in Murder, My Sweet) couldn't be playing more against type than he does here. It takes a genius like Preston Sturges to bring out the best comedian from the worst dramatic actor.

Just remember this award winning slogan...

"If you can't sleep at night, it's not the coffee, it's the bunk!"

wpqx
08-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Actually Powell was playing against type when he moved to noir, he was always a song and dance man/comedian.

And you're high for thinking Christmas in July is his best.

oscar jubis
08-29-2005, 10:48 PM
*For starters, thanks cinemabon for this important thread.

*I couldn't find where cinemabon states that "Christmas in July is his best"(wpqx), but "one of the funniest films ever made"(cinemabon), which is not quite the same. Anyhow, I don't think it's odd to say that Christmas in July is Sturges' best movie. Actually, it's the only Sturges film in Rosenbaum's 100 favorite films of all time, and I bet he's not the only one who loves it. It would definitely be odd to pick something like Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend as one's favorite though.

I'm not sure we'd learn much about Sturges by picking our favorites. It says more about the person picking than about Sturges because, with the possible exception of The Great Moment, his first eight films were consistently excellent. For what it's worth, my favorite is The Miracle of Morgan's Creek because I think it's Sturges at his most uncompromising. He pulled a clever joke on the Production Code and exposed its hypocritical absurdity and the morality that spawned it. It's the one in which a girl gives birth to sixtuplets. Even though she was actually married when she was impregnated (thus in abidance with the Code), she can't produce a marriage certificate, or remember which one of the drunken soldiers she married or under what names. It'd be even more difficult to pick a second fave but I'd probably go along with Christmas in July because it satirizes capitalism (and success) brilliantly and because it's perfectly and relentlessly paced_I love The Great McGinty and Sullivan's Travels of course, but it doesn't stop me from noticing both lose momentum and cross briefly into melodrama in the third quarter (pardon the football terminology).

*I'm excited about the upcoming dvd release of Miracle of Morgan's Creek and hope we continue to exchange opinions/info about the wonderful legacy of Preston Sturges.

wpqx
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Big difference between William Powell and Dick Powell, the latter which was the star of Christmas in July. The films you mentioned don't star Dick Powell, so I stand by my comment that Christmas in July was common for him, and his later noir films were against type.

I'm probably an odd bird thinking Unfaithfully Yours is Sturges best film, but it's the most fun to me. Maybe I like it because it's an underdog, just as I could admire someone who picked The Great Moment. I do agree with you however that it is possibly his weakest film, at least of his first 9.

oscar jubis
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Big difference indeed. Pie on my face. I should have figured you wouldn't possibly call William Powell "a song and dance man/comedian". I'll go ahead and edit the paragraph with a full acknowledgement that I messed up.

* Regarding Sturges, it's the originality of his screenplays and specifically the dialogues that make his films distinctive. Their mix of slapstick and satire is rather unique. I'm intrigued by a script he wrote for director Mitchell Leisen. It's called Easy Living and it is said to be the one that most resembles the scripts Sturges directed himself. There is a lot of the "ribbing the rich" material also found in The Lady Eve and The Palm Beach Story.

cinemabon
09-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Palm Beach Story has so many lines, like: "Chivalry's not only dead, it's decomposed!" Another song and dance man converted (Rudy Vallee). I'd forgotten Powell did so many musicals. Oops.

As a writer, I admire Sturges' cleverness. His wit and timing are right on the mark. Take the scene at the beginning of Sullivan's Travels. There are no less than five people all speaking at the same time. If you go back and forth (thanks to DVD) you can catch some of the snide asides the characters make against each other. It's funny that the intellectual side of Sturges humor is only now truly appreciated by film artisan crowd.

I was not aware of more releases, but especially look forward to Miracle at Morgan's Creek.

oscar jubis
09-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Out on tuesday and bargain-priced: THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/Miracle_of_Morgans_Creek_DVD_Review.htm)

wpqx
09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Well at least it has better features than The Palm Beach Story.