PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (Germany)

hengcs
11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Director: Marc Rothemund
Cast: Julia Jentsch, Fabian Hinrichs, Gerald Alexander Held

In Berlin International Film Festival, it won the Best Director and Best Actress award.
;)
It is Germany's Oscar submission for 2006.

The official website is here ...
http://www.sophiescholl-derfilm.de/

My thoughts ...
-- Wow ... it will likely buy the audience over ... these 3 aspects are especially compelling ...
(i) the story ... by itself, it is already excellent; moreover, it is based on real events (i.e., White Rose, a resistance group against the Nazis) ... the film manages to capture the undaunted spirit, the strength to stand by one's principles ... the willingness to die in order to protect one's family/friends ... also, it depicts woman with strength ...
(ii) the ENTIRE cast is commendable ... ok, I know lots have been said about the female lead, so I shan't say anymore ... I will highlight the others instead, like the judge at the end (Andre Hennicke), wow, he is so domineering ... the interrogator (Alexander Held), a controlled performance ... or even the other female prisoner (Gerald Alexander Held) ....
(iii) the soundtrack ... you really have to admire it for keeping the pace exciting and striking a melancholic mood at the right moments ...

What could be better ...
-- At one scene, there is a minor technical "glitch" ... i.e., the mike overhead was visible onscreen and was quickly moved offscreen again ... but let's be more forgiving ...
-- You have to like the fact that the film focuses primarily on Sophie and not the rest of the group members ...

Conclusion:
Highly recommended ... rather compelling drama ...
I think it will likely make it to 1 of the 5 in Oscar ...
;)

arsaib4
11-26-2005, 10:12 PM
According to Zeitgeist Films' schedule, the film will be released stateside in February.