PDA

View Full Version : Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

tabuno
12-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I recently came across Personal WEB Site of Brett McKenzie that purports rather persuasively and convincingly of having discovered the solution to the haunting and enigmatic movie Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) at [URL=http://www.mck.com.au/users/brett/picnic.htm[/URL] . Mr McKenzie bases his solution on a logical and literary interpretation of Joan Lindsay's novel upon which the movie was based. I found the movie one of the few movies that followed its material source very closely, amazingly closely.

Nevertheless, Mr. McKenzie's much more mundane solution still fails to capture the more ambiguous, almost supernatural presentation in the movie:

1. Amanda's almost angelic demeanor (described by the young teacher) and possible ability to foretell the future (as described by the young orphan girl, Sarah).

2. The almost mystical connection between Sarah and Bertie (the young servant man).

3. The strange behavior of the girls (almost mesmerized) and the teacher on Hanging Rock and their manner of dress.

4. The strange behavior of the young male searcher who apparently discovered one of the girls.

5. The inability of both surviving girls not to be able to recollect what happened, especially the rotund girl's shrieking reaction just before the girls disappeared (the location and geography did not seem to imply Mr. Kenzie's likely solution.

For all the cogent, logical explanations for the girls' disappearance, the introduction of these other discrepancies leaves open possible alternative explanations without degrading the reputation of the novel's author as Mr. McKenzie's suggests has happened.

This movie is my all-time favorite movie for its ability to capture a timeless mysterious, haunting script so well as to a period of time and the genuninely warm, innocent, authentic performances, and the brilliant musical score along with the visual photography and shots used by the Peter Weir, the director.