PDA

View Full Version : Live and Become

Howard Schumann
04-10-2006, 09:05 AM
LIVE AND BECOME (Va, vis et deviens)

Directed by Radu Mihaileanu (2005)

The images we see of Ethiopians are often those of children with distended bellies clinging to life as a Western television announcer comments about their depressing fate. No one, however, speaks for the children. Winner of the Audience Award at the Berlin Film Festival, Radu Mihaileanu's Live and Become gives words to people whose voices have been silent. The film tells the story of Ethiopian Black Jews known as Falashas who were brought to Israel in Operation Moses in 1984 by the Israeli Mossad. It was an operation that successfully airlifted 8,000 Ethiopean Jews to Israel, but sadly also one in which 4,000 died during a brutal journey on foot to Sudan or later in refugee camps.

Mihaileanu (Train of Life) was born in Bucharest, Romania to Jewish parents who had spent time in the Nazi labor camps. In 1980, like the film's protagonist, he was torn from his parents when he fled the dictatorship of Ciaucescu to move to Israel and later to France. In Live and Become, a boy clinging to his mother in the Sudan is told by her to "go, live and become". She tells him that he must pretend to be a Jew and instructs him to remember that his name is Solomon, his father's name was Isaac, and his sister's name was Aster. The film spans fifteen years in the life of young Solomon (called Schlomo by the Israelis), describing his experiences of being alone into a foreign country that speaks a language he doesn't understand and filled with people of a different religion and a different color. Mihaileanu crams a great deal into the film's 142-minute length and it often seems cluttered, yet we can listen and understand its heart and the clear voice in which it speaks to us.

As he reaches Tel-Aviv, Schlomo begins the long processes of absorption and integration into Israeli society but the barriers engendered by social and cultural differences prove difficult to bear. He angrily acts out his frustration in a boarding school in Tel Aviv and is sent for adoption to a left-wing French Sephardic family, Yoram and YaE Harrari (Roschdy Zem and YaE Abecassis), who already have two children. They are a close-knit, warm and loving family but face many problems with the boy they did not anticipate. Yael must fight the prejudice of parents in the school who want to withdraw their children from school because they think, coming from Africa, he must be a carrier of disease.

At first refusing to eat, he makes an effort to fit in but hears over and over that because he is black he is not really a Jew. A battle erupts within Israel between fundamentalists and Orthodox Jews over the premise of a black Jew and Schlomo is caught in the middle. Afraid of being discovered as a Christian, the boy immerses himself in Jewish theology, learns Hebrew and French and studies the Torah, yet he carries the burden of his lie around with him. The story then jumps ahead a few years. As a good-looking teenager (Moshe Abebe) Schlomo meets Sarah (Roni Hadar), a white girl he likes but must contend with the virulent racism of her father. Rebelling against the authority of his surrogate parents, the boy is sent to a kibbutz to work and study but maintains a correspondence with Sarah.

As Schlomo (Sirak M. Sabahat as an adult) grows into adulthood and takes responsibility for his guilt, he feels compelled to confess his inner truth and the film capitalizes on every touch of his personal drama. Live and Become tackles one of the most controversial subjects in Israel, that of Jewish identity and racial purity. While it does not hesitate to show the ugly side of Israeli life, it also embraces its humor, sensitivity, and compassion. Although unfortunately the film occasionally slips into clichE Live and Become works because it is about more than the experience of one person. It tells a universal story of alienation, wanting to belong, and the pain of feeling alone, feelings shared by people of all religions throughout the world.

GRADE: A-

oscar jubis
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the review.

I thought English-language title was: GO, SEE and BECOME

I liked his Train of Life, so I'm very interested in watching this film, winner of three awards at Berlin and a Cesar for Best Original Screenplay.

Seville Pictures will distribute in Canada. No commercial distribution in the USA for the time being. Local Jewish film festival will likely show it though. At least I hope so.

Howard Schumann
04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
Thanks for the review.

I liked his Train of Life, so I'm very interested in watching this film, winner of three awards at Berlin and a Cesar for Best Original Screenplay.

Seville Pictures will distribute in Canada. No commercial distribution in the USA for the time being. Local Jewish film festival will likely show it though. At least I hope so. I think the literal translation is "Go, screw, and become".

oscar jubis
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the review.
You're welcome, oscar.

Seville Pictures will distribute in Canada. No commercial distribution in the USA for the time being. Local Jewish film festival will likely show it though. At least I hope so.

Yes, the film had its North American premiere at the Toronto Film Festival under the title Go, See and Become. Distributor Seville Pictures bought rights for Canada and the title was changed for subsequent screenings to the shorter Live and Become. I certainly liked it and I hope you get a chance to see it.

Howard Schumann
04-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the review.
You're welcome, oscar.

Yes, the film had its North American premiere at the Toronto Film Festival under the title Go, See and Become. Distributor Seville Pictures bought rights for Canada and the title was changed for subsequent screenings to the shorter Live and Become. I certainly liked it and I hope you get a chance to see it. That post was totally uncalled for, especially coming from someone who does not keep his agreements (reference Blind Shaft) and does not even have the courtesy to apologize. Do not bother to respond to my posts any longer.

oscar jubis
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Howard Schumann
That post was totally uncalled for, especially coming from someone who does not keep his agreements (reference Blind Shaft)

I sent you e-mail explaining that the guy who was going to make a clone of my BLIND SHAFT dvd took off to NYC with it and never returned it. I never made any promises or agreements other than ask the guy to clone it for you.
I have never insulted you as you just did a few posts earlier. My response provided a simple model for a polite and dignified response to a friendly post in which someone thanks you for your review of an interesting movie.

Do not bother to respond to my posts any longer.

It's an open forum, Howard. I looked for the film's title on IMdb to do research on the film and couldn't find it. I found the film under the old title. This information would be helpful to another member interested in the film. Posting your reviews here is appreciated but it doesn't give you the right to dictacte who can respond or not. If for some reason you don't want to be notified of my posts via e-mail, the site provides a mechanism for that purpose.

Howard Schumann
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
You just left the whole Blind Shaft thing hanging without ever attempting to acknowledge that it would not be possible to supply it as offered. It was a case where a simple apology would have been in order, if for no other reason than to complete it.

Another example of a misunderstanding as a result of a lack of communication.

So thank you for your model. However, I don't need any lessons in manners from you. My initial post was not an insult and was not intended to be one. I just thought the literal translation of the title was amusing. If you think I made it up, translate some of the foreign reviews on Alta Vista and you will see what I mean.

So please get off your holier than thou hobby horse.

oscar jubis
04-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Howard Schumann
Mihaileanu (Train of Life) was born in Bucharest, Romania to Jewish parents who had spent time in the Nazi labor camps. In 1980, like the film's protagonist, he was torn from his parents when he fled the dictatorship of Ciaucescu to move to Israel and later to France. In Live and Become, a boy clinging to his mother in the Sudan is told by her to "go, live and become".