PDA

View Full Version : Flowers of St. Francis

Howard Schumann
07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
FLOWERS OF ST. FRANCIS (Francesco, giullare di Dio)

Directed by Roberto Rossellini (1950)

The Criterion DVD release of Rossellini's Flowers of St. Francis offers a fully restored version in high contrast black and white of the long unavailable 1950 film, considered one of Rossellini's finest. It is interesting that two of the finest films about religion, The Gospel According to St, Matthew and Flowers of St. Francis, were directed by avowed atheists, (Pier Paolo Pasolini and Roberto Rossellini), both capturing, through non-professional acting and neo-realist technique, a sense of purity and poetry missing in the heavy-handed message of newer religious films. Unlike Pasolini, however, Rossellini's film does not contain peak dramatic moments or even a linear narrative.

It is a series of vignettes that does not attempt a history of the period or a biography of St. Francis of Assisi as did the woeful Brother Sun, Sister Moon by Zefferelli. Rather it shows Francis, a 13th century monk who founded the order known as the Franciscan Friars and his followers (particularly brother Ginepro) in easy going and often light-hearted fashion going about their daily life with devotion and humility before God. While I do not subscribe to the idea that allegiance to God requires extreme self-denial, the film is persuasive in showing the simple compassion of the Friars and how it changed the lives of the people around them, although the line between simple and simple-minded as depicted by Rossellini is often tenuous.

Flowers does not attempt to bludgeon us with a point of view, but suggests by example that there is an alternative way to live our lives that does not involve ego and greed. The episodes illustrate different aspects of Franciscan life, all introduced by intertitles. In the first, the brothers seek to find shelter in a pouring rain in a little hut they have built in the woods near Assisi. When they arrive, they discover that a farmer has appropriated the hut with his donkey and refuses to let the brothers in. Francis responds by telling his followers, "Have we not now reason to rejoice? Providence has made us useful to others." In another episodes, Ginepro cuts off a pig's foot for a meal requested by a hungry ailing brother. Unfortunately, no one questions what brother pig thinks about his leg being sacrificed and the episode left me feeling queasy.

In other sequences, the Friars prepare a rebuilt chapel to receive Sister Chiara, Francis meets a leper during his walk and embraces him in a childlike, loving manner, and Ginepro is provided lessons on how actions rather than words win souls for God. In one of the later sequences played mostly for laughs but with a potent message, Ginepro is in danger of losing his life to a group of bandits led by the corpulent Nicolaio until the power of faith rules the day. Flowers of St. Francis presents an idealized version of a "pure" form of Christianity and promotes love, humility, and compassion for the poor. While the film is a welcome antidote to the cynicism and despair common in films these days, ultimately it leaves the viewer to decide whether or not excessive missionary zeal practiced by those who are convinced they alone have the true faith has been a positive or negative force throughout history.

GRADE: B+

cinemabon
07-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I was hoping you would come up with a plausable explanation why an atheist would want to make a religious film or one that espoused religious beliefs. For example, what was the relationship between Brother Ginepro and Francis? Or did the filmmaker leave that out, and make him seem as a central figure simply by have an equal number of appearances.

When it comes to religion in films, so few have any credence in my mind. They emphasize the wrong aspects to philosophy and are more concerned with certain overt personalities. Christ is always a man that looks like he came from Hollywood California than from the Middle East.

The only religious film I like is The Song of Bernadette. The story of a young Catholic girl as told by a Jewish man, another disparity.

Howard Schumann
07-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by cinemabon
I was hoping you would come up with a plausable explanation why an atheist would want to make a religious film or one that espoused religious beliefs. For example, what was the relationship between Brother Ginepro and Francis? Or did the filmmaker leave that out, and make him seem as a central figure simply by have an equal number of appearances.

When it comes to religion in films, so few have any credence in my mind. They emphasize the wrong aspects to philosophy and are more concerned with certain overt personalities. Christ is always a man that looks like he came from Hollywood California than from the Middle East.

The only religious film I like is The Song of Bernadette. The story of a young Catholic girl as told by a Jewish man, another disparity. There have been many outstanding films of a religious nature even though the director wasn't necessarily religious. Some of my favorites are Diary of a Country Priest, Ordet, and the Gospel According to St. Matthew. These are pure poetry. I'm not a Rossellini expert so I don't know what attracted him to film the life of the Friars but he may just have wanted to tell their story without necessarily subscribing to their beliefs. Perhaps someone else here can help us out.

cinemabon
07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
I meant to say "paradox." Old age setting in. However, I wanted to include this thought I heard recently from Mary Gordon during an excellent interview on Bill Moyers' Faith and Reason...

"Faith with doubt is either nostalgia or addiction."

I suggest these agnostic filmmakers did have a modicum of faith, only they chose to question it in the way many artisans do, through their work.

oscar jubis
08-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by cinemabon
I was hoping you would come up with a plausable explanation why an atheist would want to make a religious film or one that espoused religious beliefs.

Was Rossellini an "avowed atheist" (as stated by Howard Schumann)? The answer is extremely complicated, for several reasons. Rossellini's beliefs were in a constant state of flux throughout his life. He was perpetually searching for "the truth", never feeling he had arrived at satisfying answers to his inquiries into religious and political matters. Rossellini was also an impulsive bon-vivant who spoke whatever was on his mind at a given moment. He made many statements he would later have to qualify or retract or re-interpret. Howard is certainly not the only person to call him "an avowed atheist". Moreover, he is NOT really wrong to do so, in the sense that Rossellini probably called himself an atheist on occassion (for instance, a Catholic priest/film critic/friend of Rossellini who was interviewed for the Criterion edition of The Flowers of St. Francis states the director told him "Father, I don't believe in anything"). The thing about Mr. Rossellini is that he was quite likely to have said something to the contrary the following day, and that there's plenty of evidence to suggest he had periods in his complex life when he appeared to be quite religious, and said so. In other words, his atheism was intermittent and a lot more complicated than Luis Bunuel's "Thank God I'm an atheist".

Unlike other directors of great repute, there's an English-language biographical book that serves Rossellini well: Tag Gallagher's "The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini: His Life and Films". It's well-written and impeccably researched; a fascinating 15-years-in-the-making labour-of-love.

Howard Schumann
08-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks Oscar for the clarifying information about Rossellini. Very interesting.

Howard

oscar jubis
08-11-2006, 08:30 PM
My pleasure. Below my brief comment on the film (originally posted about a year ago), his Europa '51, and the recent Guy Maddin-Isabella Rossellini homage to Roberto.

Francesco, Guillare de Dio aka The Flowers of St. Francis (Italy, 1950) import dvd

"Things are there. Why manipulate them?"
Roberto Rossellini

Rossellini practically invented Italian neorealism with his war trilogy (Rome Open City, Paisa, Germania Anno Zero). As a matter of fact, Rome, Open City is as much of a landmark film as Eisenstein's Strike, Bunuel's Un Chien Andalou, Rouch's Moi, un Noir and Godard's Breathless, all highly influential films that showed a revolutionarily new way of making movies. Francesco is Rossellini's first period film (medieval times) but it's as simple, austere and naturalistic as possible, well within the school of neorealism. It concerns several episodes in the life of St. Francis of Assisi and his followers. Rossellini cast real monks, who don't get credited individually in the titles. The only actor in the cast is Aldo Fabrizi as Nicolaio, the Tyrant. Francesco gradually gains resonance through acute observation of the daily routines of Francis and the monks and their encounters with a variety of individuals. The film culminates in a poignant scene in which they decide to separate to spread their message. The excellent script is a collaboration between the director, Federico Fellini, and two priests.
I watched Francesco on a dvd released by Masters of Cinema in the UK. The Criterion edition being released tuesday will feature the same restored print.

Europa '51 (Italy, 1952) on TCM

I became extremely interested in this film written and directed by Roberto Rossellini after watching several clips from it on Martin Scorsese's brilliant My Voyage to Italy. This doc is the best introduction to Italian Neo-realism one can imagine. A dubbed version of Europa '51 was shown last night on TCM. I know it's not the ideal version but it's the only one available and Ingrid Bergman dubs herself. Bergman, who was married at the time to Rossellini, plays an Italian American married to a corporate executive and mother to a spoiled, dependent 12 year old boy. Her frivolous bourgeoise existence is interrupted by her son's death, which causes her extreme guilt. After a period of depression, she draws closer to a communist cousin and becomes conscious of the suffering of others. She begins to devote all her energy, time and resources to help the poor, including drunks, prostitutes and petty thieves. After a while, her family including her husband, her priest and her doctor begin to think of her behavior as a sign of mental illness. This film is a must-see. I hope the original, Italian-language version becomes available on dvd someday.

My favorite 2006 film in English (so far) is My Dad is 100 Years Old, a tribute to Roberto Rossellini from his daughter Isabella, directed by the wonderful Guy Maddin. Ms. Rossellini plays the following roles in the film: herself as an adult, herself as a child (voice only), Roberto Rossellini (voice only, someone else plays Roberto but all you see is his rotund belly), her mom Ingrid Bergman, producer Darryl F. Zanuck, Alfred Hitchcock, Federico Fellini, and Charlie Chaplin! This intense film manages to deal with Rossellini as family man, his controversial relationship with Ingrid Bergman, his art vs. business spats with Hollywood producers, his early-60s pronouncement that "Il Cinema e morto" (Cinema is dead), his legacy, and much more in a mere 17 minutes of running time.

Johann
11-15-2006, 02:53 PM
How did you get to see MY DAD, oscar?

Man, you're like Clouseau when it comes to tracking down films!

Thanks for these great comments and thanks to Howard for this great thread.

oscar jubis
11-15-2006, 03:49 PM
You introduced us to MY DAD last year on your Vancouver thread and I was hoping to have a chance to watch it. Then this summer the Cinematheque on South Beach played it and then I had a chance to watch it again when it was shown on the Sundance Channel.
Subsequently I was able to watch a new short I like just as much. It's called The Din of Celestial Birds by E. Elias Merhige (the director of Shadow of the Vampire). I know this is not the ideal way to watch it, but you can do so here:
http://www.hermes.com/behindthescenes/index_camera_video_3.html

Tell me what you think.

Johann
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks oscar- that film blew my mind.

DIN indeed.
The amazing E.E. Merhige..

I experienced echoes of 2001, Dreyer, Fritz Lang, Brakhage, and yes even Guy Maddin.

Incredible, powerful little piece of celluloid...

oscar jubis
11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Your comments are right on...Lang, Brakhage, etc. I am so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I wrote to MIFF director Nicole Guillemet beging her to show it during next year's festival. What do I have to lose?
Darwin would have loved it.

oscar jubis
11-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Regarding MY DAD IS 100 YEARS OLD...
It is now available on dvd!
But you must purchase Isabella's new book "In the Name of the Father, the Daughter and the Holy Spirits" (http://www.amazon.com/Name-Father-Daughter-Holy-Sprirts/dp/3829602421/sr=1-1/qid=1163820148/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0585013-3675068?ie=UTF8&s=books)
Seems well worth it to me.