PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tykwer: Perfume, the Story of a Murderer (2006)

Chris Knipp
12-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Tom Tykwer: Perfume, the Story of a Murderer (2006)

Scent of a woman

Review by Chris Knipp

W A R N I N G --- S P O I L E R S

Perfume is a fable – or, if you like, a fabulous tale. Its beauty is the way it explores a single subject, a single talent, a single obsession, much like Jorge Luis Borges' Funes the Memorious – the story of another marvelous boy, one who could never forget anything he had ever seen or experienced. Such a character, without normal perception or relationship to the world, burdened by his exceptional ability, is outside conventional morality, and Patrick Süskind's eponymous novel, which Tom Tykver has adeptly reconstructed as a film, is also an exploration of good and evil. The central figure of Perfume, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, is extraordinary in one way – his sense of smell – only through being narrow or underdeveloped in all other ways. In the striking performance of the talented young English actor Ben Whishaw, Grenouille is a feral youth, unique in matters olfactory and in that sense intensely sensual, but in other ways a blank, impressive only for his dedication to exploring his talent, slow at communication, drawn to young women but only for their scent. He’s apparently without normal desire or at least without the ability to consummate it. He’s an obsessive pure and simple, rendered selfless and ascetic by his compulsive focus, as a saint is purified by being obsessed with God.

Grenouille’s obsession keeps him from growing up. His desire to possess young virgins by bottling their scent becomes an ability to distill purity and goodness so that after committing a series of murders of beautiful young girls, he is ultimately forgiven by a mass of people, and the executioner drops down to worship him as an angel.

Perfume embodies an adolescent boy’s perception of girls. He doesn’t know how to deal with them in a grown-up way. Its hero likes the young women he finds, indeed he adores them, but he is afraid of them. Why does he murder them? Perhaps because he’s just too shy to persuade them to let him distill their odor by his methods. And, terrified of possessing them physically, he wants to bottle their essence – a form in which they will be safe. Perfume essence of the finest and most special kind as pursued by the hero of this story paradoxically becomes a kind of quintessence, and hence not so much the ultimate sensuous experience as it is a refinement of being beyond sense. Grenouille’s story of becoming a genius and the greatest perfumier of all time is an adolescent fantasy of excelling over all others in something hitherto unthought of. It is a limited tale – as is Borges' of "Funes" (which was only a few pages but is nonetheless imperishable for that) – but Tykver has presented it beautifully, without overdrawing anything and without false notes. Because of the limitations of its hero, it lacks emotional engagement, but it is engaging in other ways, because it is original and fresh.

This movie, which seems to have been well received in Tykver and Süskind's homeland of Germany and in other parts of Europe, is not being reviewed sympathetically by a majority of English and American critics. They say that the film is humorless and silly but not funny. If you take the story as realistic, it is patently absurd; but why would you do that? It is plainly a fable about quests for essences. One reviewer suggested the novel is sarcastic and the film relatively too solemn. This is odd in view of the fact that the novel is very violent (violence isn’t a joke). References to John Waters’ "Odorama" seem utterly beyond the point. The need is not to make us smell anything but to imagine a person who could smell everything and whose perceptions are completely beyond us. When Grenouille first enters Baldini’s workshop and runs around grabbing bottles of essential oils to make up a perfume, and he knows where they all are merely by the scent of them, it’s a compelling moment of perceived otherness. Despite its baroque flourishes, the movie has links with Robert Bresson. Grenouille is doomed like Bresson’s victim-saints and chilling and admirable in the same way. Even if it's hard to relate to Perfume emotionally, it is interesting for what it has to tell us.

And Tykver provides a very watchable movie whose images depart from the conventional costume drama in their use of physical detail. The screen is full of vivid mess and blood and dirt and vermin and slops from the first frames. Whishaw himself, almost constantly on camera, provides plenty to watch. He is scrawny, with a scary innocence, like the young Anthony Perkins (but more sensual). Half naked and slavered over with dirt in almost every scene, he is vulnerable yet indomitable. Richly costumed crowds, buttoning and unbuttoning their clothes, shifting on and off their wigs, are in constant déshabille till the final divine orgy when they publicly disrobe. This is simply seen by our critics as absurd or embarrassing, "Fellini’s Shortbus" or some reincarnation of the Seventies, rather than as the working out of the ultimate implications of the fable.

But it all does have a comic side, as we see in Dustin Hoffman’s appealing turn as the out-of-fashion perfumier Baldini. The villainous overprotective father Antoine Richis is played by a frequently comic purveyor of meanness, Alan Rickman, And John Hurt’s familiar, formally perfect voiceover has acquired an ironic edge. No, this is not a failure or an embarrassment, and audiences are enjoying it.

oscar jubis
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Just in case young Jean-Baptiste's superpowers are not sufficient, a conversation between him and perfumer Baldini should leave no doubt we've entered the realm of legend. Baldini instructs the youngster not to take an Egyptian tale literally, which should cue the viewer to supress the tendency to administer the reality test to the material. Perfume:The Story of a Murderer is an English-language European production based on a German novel deemed "unfilmable" because of the difficulty of conveying smell audiovisually. Reportedly, Stanley Kubrick once showed some interest in it, perhaps precisely due to the inherent challenge. The approach utilized by director Tom Tykwer (The Princess and the Warrior, Run Lola Run) is to stimulate the viewer's olfactory memory and imagination by putting us in close proximity with the sources of smell. No film I recall is as crucially dependent on close-ups as this one.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is the legend of a boy subjected to horrific neglect and abuse who happens to possess an inordinatelty developed sense of smell. He grows up under terrible conditions in 18th century France, incapable of love or empathy because these haven't been part of his experience. As a young man, his interest in the capture and preservation of scents grows into a murderous obsession. The spectacularly disturbing finale, in which a 28 year-old Jean-Baptiste finally experiences genuine emotion and then is literally devoured by all-consuming idolatry, is simply unforgettable.

bix171
01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I read the book over vacation and liked it. I'm a big fan of Tykwer's and am looking forward to seeing it.

oscar jubis
01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I find it hard sometimes to judge a film on its own merits when I've read the source material recently. Hope you give us your opinion of the film after you watch it.

bix171
01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
And I'm the opposite: I find it difficult to go to a book once I've seen the movie. Hence, I try to read the book when I can, as it takes a bit more effort on my part. (I'm a slow reader, even when the book's a good one.)

Though they exist, I'm finding it hard to remember a film that was better than the book. "The Godfather" perhaps (though the book was perfectly acceptable).

No, wait! "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy. Those books were unbearable.

Someone once told me the film "Mystic River" was a vast improvement over the book. Snob that I am, that was not a book I'd ever intended to read.

"Perfume" actually is a bit unique for me, in that I'd had the novel at home since its first paperback edition (in the '80s) and had always meant to read it based on reviews I'd originally read. The coming of Tykwer's film made me earmark it for a winter vacation I took. Tykwer strikes me as a good choice for the material, though I'm wondering how two and a half hours can come out of it.

I'm probably gonna have to catch it on DVD at this point, now that the Oscar nominations have been announced and I've only seen one of the five features nominated ("The Departed) and aside from those, convincing the wife to see certain non-nominated films is a chore. (I will, however, be seeing "Letters From Iwo Jima" alone.)

As an aside, I'm glad that the selections are tolerable. Of the four I haven't seen, only "Little Miss Sunshine" fills me with ambivilance. But even that doesn't disgust me as some of the wasted nominations from the past have. ("Chicago" springs instantly to mind.)

oscar jubis
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by bix171
And I'm the opposite: I find it difficult to go to a book once I've seen the movie. Though they exist, I'm finding it hard to remember a film that was better than the book.
My point is that it's difficult to judge a film on its own merits once you've read the literary source, particularly when the source is a novel. Books and films are different mediums and, in my opinion, should not be compared. It's interesting to ponder different approaches to adaptation of a given text though.

Tykwer strikes me as a good choice for the material, though I'm wondering how two and a half hours can come out of it.
Exactly. A certain degree of condensation is unavoidable.

I'm probably gonna have to catch it on DVD at this point, now that the Oscar nominations have been announced and I've only seen one of the five features nominated
Post your opinion whenever you watch it. All the films nominated are at least worth watching. Letters From Iwo Jima being my favorite from the ones nominated for Best Picture.

As an aside, I'm glad that the selections are tolerable. Of the four I haven't seen, only "Little Miss Sunshine" fills me with ambivilance. But even that doesn't disgust me as some of the wasted nominations from the past have. ("Chicago" springs instantly to mind.)
Well put. Bravo.

Chris Knipp
01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
[b]I'm wondering how two and a half hours can come out of it.
[Oscar Jubis]
Exactly. A certain degree of condensation is unavoidable. I thought bix171 meant the reverse. But I haven't read the book. Almost any novel does usually require drastic cutting to make into a film though.
[Oscar Jubis]
Letters From Iwo Jima being my favorite from the ones nominated for Best Picture.
That's reasonable, but I'd be surprised if it won. I'm not good at predicting, though. And I don't even see the value of picking one "best" right away for a year just passed. I also agree with you, bix171, that this year the Best Picture nominations they chose lack the usual "ick" factor. Little Miss Sunshine has been reviled for being full of the usual Indie clichés. and that is true, but I still found it thoroughly enjoyable, up till the last few scenes, anyway. I have no problem with Dreamgirls being left out, in fact I'm glad of that.
[Oscar Jubis]
My point is that it's difficult to judge a film on its own merits once you've read the literary source, particularly when the source is a novel. Books and films are different mediums and, in my opinion, should not be compared. It's interesting to ponder different approaches to adaptation of a given text though.
This goes back to the old argument I will never agree with, that it's better to know little rather than all you can know before approaching a work of art of any kind. I think the reverse is true, and there's no reason why reading a book should distract you from in fact more fully appreciating an adaptation of it, just as having seen other similar films about the same subject enhances one's appreciation and ability to judge a new film. But at least we can agree from what you say here (which I underlined) that knowledge of the book source is useful (essential, actually) for comparing different screen adaptations. After all, they are adaptations of that particular book.
[b]
Tykwer strikes me as a good choice for the materialMaybe this is a dumb question, but why?

oscar jubis
01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I also found Liitle Miss Sunshine enjoyable, despite formulaic elements and facile satiric targets. And I can't argue with what it has to say about families and success.

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
there's no reason why reading a book should distract you from in fact more fully appreciating an adaptation of it, just as having seen other similar films about the same subject enhances one's appreciation and ability to judge a new film.

I agree. What I don't like are head to head comparisons between a book and the film adapted from it. Also, sometimes when one reads a book one forms a imaginary, mental picture of how characters look and move and fails to give enough leeway to the filmmakers' versions of these characters.

Johann
01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Stanley Kubrick had the rights to film this book, you're right oscar
He was going to make it after Full Metal Jacket.

There's no info on why he didn't..

Chris Knipp
01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
[Oscar Jubis]
What I don't like are head to head comparisons between a book and the film adapted from it. It's "apples and oranges," isn't it? But still comparisons are odious but inevitable. Everything has a source and it's our job to examine it.
[Johann]
Stanley Kubrick had the rights to film this book. . .was going to make it after Full Metal Jacket.

There's no info on why he didn't.. He took so long to work up to any project. But it's fascinating to think what sort of
(possibly more haunting and complex?) things he would have woven out of Patrick Süskind.'s book. I like Tykwer's possibly lighter version though.

Johann
01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
The story sounds very interesting.

This film isn't playing in Ottawa and probably won't until much much later. (At the Bytowne)

I'm realizing what Howard S. meant by why move from Vancouver.
Every day I'm not at the Cinematheque is a day I wither more and more :)
They screened all of Kenneth Anger's films and a Shohei Imamura retro is playing.

I weep into my stein of Beck's...

Sorry I haven't been contributing here much lately.

I seem to have no energy after work- I just crack a brew, spark a chonger and sleep like a baby.

I put on Alan Parker's Angel Heart last night and fell asleep right after Mickey Rourke met with DeNiro.

Sad.

bix171
01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
[bix171]
Tykwer strikes me as a good choice for the material
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Chris Knipp]

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why?

Tykwer has proven himself proficient in styles both postmodern ("Run, Lola, "Run) and classical ("The Princess And The Warrior", "Heaven") and the pulpy, floridly written novel has a blend of both.

Chris Knipp
01-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Okay...