PDA

View Full Version : Mira Nair: The Namesake (2007)

Chris Knipp
03-17-2007, 03:34 PM
MIRA NAIR: THE NAMESAKE

A warm tale of living in two cultures

W a r n i n g: s p o i l e r s

Mira Nair's film adaptation of a Jhumpa Lahri bestseller is not only much better than her misfired Vanity Fair but probably the best thing she's ever done. The Namesake is about a Bengali couple who marry in the late 70's and go to live in New York and have children who have to learn to live in two cultures. A London-born Indian herself, Nair truly understands and feels this material. The film has her former warmth, with a new level of subtlety. Cramming a multi-generational novel into a couple of hours makes the film feel a bit overstuffed, but in compensation there's novelistic richness and a wealth of feeling, and the winning cast never falters.

Bollywood regulars Irshan Khan and Tabu play the appealingly nerdy dad or "Baba," Arshoke and his arranged-wedding bride Ashima, a beautiful classical singer. She shrinks all his clothes at the Laundromat, but with sweet shyness they become lovers and have a boy and a girl. The boy grows up to be the protagonist of the latter part of the film -- which however never loses touch with the parents. He gets two names -- Nikhil for formal use, Gogol as a pet name. He chooses to use the latter when he goes to school -- a decision he comes to regret when he realizes how funny it sounds to Americans.

Once he's no longer a little wide-eyed boy, we see him as a ratty-haired, pot-smoking teenager -- who tells a couple of stoner buddies about how making out with a girl was wrecked when she asked what he's called.

"Gogol Ganguli"! they chirp. "End of seduction 101," he says.

Gogol is played by American-born comic Kal Penn of Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, whose looks are Indian but outlook and voice are made in USA. Penn's sense of irony is essential to the humor with which the film views the tribulations of being of two cultures, and he makes the transition into a serious dramatic role very successfully.

Gogol, like both his sister and a bookish young Francophile woman from another Bengali family visiting from London, is gradually transformed from a somewhat misfit adolescent into an elegant and attractive adult. The film is as adept at physical transformations as it is at the little cultural subtleties. The arc of the film is Gogol's transformation from a boy who scoffs at his origins into a mature grownup who loves and honors them.

Like some of Nair's earlier films, The Namesake is full of bustling scenes of Indian togetherness. The humor is always gentle. Everyone is likable, except perhaps for Maxime (Jacinda Barrett), an annoying, not very deeply portrayed rich white girl with whom Gogol (who's calling himself "Nick" now) gets involved while studying architecture at Yale.

Nair's warm world gets a a new, bitter jolt of realism from Jhumpa Lahri's book when, with his son at Yale, Baba goes to Cleveland to teach for six months and suddenly dies there. The sight of his "nice" but sterile apartment in Cleveland when he first arrives is a chilling and profoundly meaningful culture shock. The way the place screams emptiness shows its lack of all the things Indian culture offers -- the warmth of tradition and the family togetherness that have temporarily disappeared from Arshoke's life because his wife, out of shyness or fear or loyalty to home and hearth, has chosen not to go with him to Cleveland. And so when the tragedy occurs he is alone. Their daughter has moved away from home and "Nick" is off with his WASP princess in Oyster Bay escaping from his ethnic background. On that weekend he has neglected even to call his mother to say he's okay.

But when he learns of his father's death, he shaves his head in mourning. Returning for the wake he experiences a guilt that brings him back to his father and to his pet name Gogol and the story behind it. In this context the self-centeredness of his culturally tone-deaf WASP girlfriend appears in stark colors when she comes by. She thinks she can go to India with them for the scattering of the father's ashes into the Ganges; she even seems to believe it will be fun. Gogol declares it's "a family thing" and ejects her from his life.

The Francophile girl from the London Bengali family, Moushume (Zuleikha Robinson), is now available and living in New York and Gogol, in a tentative return to tradition, goes on a date with her -- and discovers she has become terribly stylish and sexy. Their marriage follows almost too fast, but that's the point. Gogol's sister Sonia (Sahira Nair) has an American boyfriend, but this mixed relationship works and is accepted by their mother -- who decides to sell the house and spend six months of every year in India, where she returns to the practice of classical song. One can go home again, in fact one must. But if one is bicultural and second generation, it's trickier: Sonia and Gogol are left to work out their salvation with diligence.

The conundrum of living in two cultures is embedded in the story of Gogol's name, a theme to which the film keeps returning. The beauty of this theme is that it is a matter of hints, not lectures or homilies. As "Baba" tells it, the name had something to do with a dangerous railway trip and a man with advice on the train; the impulse to travel and explore and a need to give thanks for survival. The Gogol involved is him of The Overcoat. "We all, "Baba" says, came out of that overcoat."

The Namesake is a song of praise for America as a land where you can become whoever you want to be, and at the same time an affirmation that you can't run away from who you are. It's far more besides, and it would be unwise to spin out too many generalizations about a story that is as satisfying and specific as this one. But it's safe to say Nair has made an extremely touching and thought-provoking film.

Chris Knipp
03-26-2007, 03:04 AM
I've made some minor changes to this review--I can't really do justice to this movie which I love. I've seen it again this weekend--something I don't very often do--and found it just as moving as I did the first time. I'm glad it's done well with the critics -- Metacritic: 83--and they have some good quotes from them: "Brims with intelligence, compassion and sensuous delight in the textures," says Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune. "Nair takes mostly low-key material about a traditional Indian family raising kids in America and turns it into something sensual, funny and quietly devastating."--Portland Oregonian. And Premiere: "A thoroughly engaging, terrifically moving family story that's rich in beautifully observed and lovingly conveyed human detail. " Stephen Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer: "It's a tearjerker, sometimes, and sweetly funny at other moments. It's near perfect."

All these are true. I can only say, I hope people go to see it, and remember it when the awards are given out. It's definitely one of the best of the year, even though the year is only beginning.

mouton
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
THE NAMESAKE
Written by Sooni Tarapolevala
Directed by Mira Nair

“My grandfather always said that’s what books are for … To travel without moving an inch.”

THE NAMESAKE is a true treasure. It is a film that honours long-established convention and meaning by maintaining its own traditional approach. All too often, filmmakers take sides when telling a story about a culture taken out of context. Either the old is just plain too old for its own good or the new is entirely empty. Director Mira Nair begins this story of one family’s history by drawing her own conclusions but allows the film to learn the error of its ways at the same pace as its characters. The Ganguli family must learn to meet each other in the middle of its own extremes. Once there, they must learn to breathe soft and slow to allow both sides to hear each other and learn from what they are hearing. By finding a similar breathing pattern to establish its pacing, THE NAMESAKE is able to criticize and question the Americanization of other cultures while never losing focus on what matters, the experience and heart of the Ganguli family.

Giving history its due, THE NAMESAKE opens in Calcutta. A young girl by the name of Ashima (played by Tabu) returns home from singing lessons to find a male suitor waiting to ask for her hand in marriage. She does not run from what is expected of her nor does she go towards it blindly and obediently. Instead, she approaches with caution and an open mind. Before she even meets Ashoke (Irfan Khan), she is drawn to the exotic possibilities he can offer her when she finds his American shoes by the door. She slips the shoes on, seemingly trying to feel what kind of man wears these shoes and what kind of weight wears them down. It is a simple moment, one of many to follow, that both gives the film its charm and connects Ashima and Ashoke to each other. Theirs is a marriage arranged in the most traditional sense yet a great love grows from this beginning. The newlyweds travel to New York to start their life together while getting to know both each other and their new surroundings. The tenderness of their relationship is a moving testament to the importance of listening and comprehension.

The wide spectrum of colour that runs rampant through Calcutta is reduced to nothing in New York. The city is covered in snow and only the drab concrete manages to poke through. Before long, Ashoke and Ashima have their first of two children, Gogol (Kal Penn). With his birth, the central conflict is also born. As Gogol grows older, he grows further away from his heritage but more importantly, he grows further away from his parents. All families face these kinds of challenges. In the case of the Ganguli family, it is easy for the children to rebel against their cultural backgrounds as it is the most obvious target that will certainly hurt their parents. The parents had to adjust to the American way of life while the children were born and raised within it. It is difficult to reconcile the differences, which leads to the feeling that they are barely a family at times.

THE NAMESAKE is about healing and understanding. It does not focus on any one family member more than any other but rather on their shared similar experiences of happiness and loss. And though its visual basis is specific, its messages are much more universal. Never letting go of the past will never allow you to see your future. Still, refusing to acknowledge the past will leave your future just as hollow. If you’re not too stubborn though and you realize that everything that comes before you makes you who you are today and who you can be tomorrow, then you will learn to resolve both past and future to enjoy your present and the family you are fortunate to have surround you.

mouton
04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Hey Chris ...

You really liked this movie. I don't blame you. I was so pleasantly surprised by it. The previews did not do this film justice. It has such a strong heart and spirit and I'm not surprised you saw it again. It stays with you long after it's done and calls you back to it. My only complaints, which I decided to leave out of my review as I did not find the negative aspects to be detrimental to my overall enjoyments, were the usage of the Ganguli sister. I can't even remember her name. As you mentioned in your comments for REIGN OVER ME, a character does not need to be given an immense amount of meaty screen time to be bought but I did not find her to be much more than a device. I also found that Gogol's marriage storyline was weaker than the rest of the film from an execution standpoint.

As I said earlier, these are tiny criticisms that do nothing to truly take away from the beauty of this film.

oscar jubis
04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
The simultaneous release of The Namesake in several countries (and sites like allocine and metacritic) makes it possible to compare critical reaction. It would seem that critics from Britain and (especially) France are less favorable in their assessment of this film I plan to watch soon.
USA: 83 on a scale from 1 to 100
UK: 3.0 on a scale from 1 to 5.
FRANCE: 1.92 on a scale from 0 to 4.

Chris Knipp
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Oscar:

Critical reactions always vary from country to country, and this one is particularly about the American experience and the Indian expatriate one -- and that would get less of a response in France and Britain, but see the movie, don't worry about the stats, man.

mouton:

Thanks for another appreciation of a movie that I found very hard to write about but very easy to love--and unlike you for various reasons, I knew from the trailer that I would love it. One reason is I loved Harold and Kumar; another is the gently ironic way Cal Penn says, "I'm from here, actually, I was born here," when asked about India by an annoying American white woman, another is the quizzical charm of Irfan Khan as the father and his lines about Gogol and the Overcoat, which promise a novelistic theme. The best part of your review for me is your sense of detail, particularly the shoes Ashima tries on and the draining out of color when they movie shifts to snow-covered New York from pigment-drenched Bengal. The sister indeed is marginal, but I can still remember her--the way she always teasingly pronounces Gogol's funny name "Google," for instance. But come to think of it other than her face that's about all I can remember, and her languishing on the bed when they visit India and he says, "Here, try some ancient air conditioning," and swats over her with a fan.

mouton
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I too found it difficult to write about this film. I am surprised to hear you enjoyed Harold and Kumar but I did too a little so that's fine. I thought from the previews that it could end up being much less subtle than what it actually was. I knew from the moment with the shoes that this was not going to be that film that exploits cultural divides as ridiculous because they are not in snc with the Western mode of operation. Sweet and simple and seriously soothing.

I'm on my way to New York this weekend ... Is there anything playing in limited release I should check out?

oscar jubis
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I am curious about how the film is being received by critics from other countries. I went to allocine,com, a site to which you introduced me a while ago, and found out French critics are not nearly as favorable about The Namesake as their American counterparts. According to Allocine:
0 critics gave it 4 stars (maximum rating)
4 critics gave it 3 stars
5 critics gave it 2 stars
3 critics gave it 1 star
1 critic gave it 0 stars (Lowest rating)

The average score is 1.92 which indicates there's a wide discrepancy between what the French critics think about The Namesake and what American critics think (metacritic score of 83).

Chris Knipp
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I'll have a look at what the French have been writing about it.

oscar jubis
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Just watched The Namesake. I wish I could share the deep satisfaction felt by other members and many critics. I found it "worth watching" but nothing special. The best thing I can say about the film is that I wish it was an hour longer. The Namesake seems overly confined by its 2-hour running time. It's consistently episodic and intermittently superficial as a 30-year, bicontinental family saga rushes by you.

Chris Knipp
04-04-2007, 03:54 PM
So are you going to move to France, then?

oscar jubis
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
I've learned a little French recently with a home course (cassettes) but I mean "a little". So I cannot read the reviews. I find that those four French critics who gave the film zero or one star are being highly unfair and displaying a type of extremist approach I disdain.

Chris Knipp
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
There were favorable comments. But a frequent unfavorable one was that the filmmaking was just "standard" ( style passe-par-tout--Le Monde--general all-service style) and as you said that it was too episodic (which didn't bother me). The Le Monde review is only eight lines long:

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3476,36-888448@51-734094,0.html

This is a very favorable and generous treatment online in FRench with lovely big stills: http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?19498

I love this movie.....
I didn't see how they were being snotty as you infer. I'm not sure what you mean by saying "extremist approach." I don't see that. Which lines conveyed that to you? Maybe you're reading too much into it.

This is funny….the zero-rated French Allocine review quote (TéléCinéObs
- Jean-Philippe Guerand)
is:
"Arès quelques oeuvres un peu faibles, Mira Nair signe lĂ* l`un de ses films les plus personnels."
After several somewhat weak works, Mira Nair signs off on [I think that's what it means] one of her most personal films.

Some zero.

Remember that we are relying on the Allocine editors' ratings of the reviews, many of which are very sketchy to begin with. It's not an exact science.