PDA

View Full Version : CLOSE TO HOME (Israel/2005)

oscar jubis
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Writer/directors Vidi Bilu and Dalia Hager's film is bookended by politically charged scenes. Close to Home opens at a checkpoint in Jerusalem where Dana, a girl doing her military service, refuses to make an Arab woman undress and ushers her out without checking her bag. An altercation with her superiors ensues. Due to insubordination, Dana is sent to jail and out of the narrative. At the film's conclusion, a Palestinian who refuses to produce I.D. gets beaten by two civilians before soldiers attempt to break it up.

The rest of Close to Home is something much more conventional. A girl buddy movie. Smadar likes to goof off, shop and flirt. She couldn't care less about her duties policing the Arab community in a designated sector of the city. Mirit is the conscientious daughter of a military couple. These 18 year-olds with clashing personalities are assigned to joint duty. They do eventually become friends.

Close to Home is enjoyable and well-made. But I remain curious about Dana's motives and beliefs. I think she's the picture's most interesting character. To whisk her out of the film feels like a cop-out to me, an avoidance of controversy. As for Smadar and Mirit, their tale of an odd couple's hard-earned friendship could take place anywhere.

Close to Home is a 2007 IFC First Take release.