PDA

View Full Version : So cool in 3-D

cinemabon
04-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I know this is going to seem like a guilty pleasure (SEEM???) but my son and I went to see "Meet the Robinsons" in 3-D at the local cinema. Using an updated version of the sunglasses (polarized lenses) technique, to keep the colors correct... this Disney film 'ups' the wow factor for those interested in how far the technique to present 3-D films has advance.

Granted, watching a film in 3-D without the glasses would be the best advancement, period. However, to emphasize the point, the folks at Disney dragged up a failure from 1953 to show first. Appearing like rows of cut-out cardboard, the rather flat 3-D Chip and Dale romp with Donald Duck lasted about five very boring minutes in a very silly tale of chase-me-I'm-doing-something-wrong. Then, the feature started.

To say this film should be seen in three dimensions is an understatement. The clarity and detail are astounding in that medium. The special effects blow you completely out of the water. I'm very glad we decided to see it that way.

Yes, it is a Disney film with a happy ending. However, strange as it seems, the plot had a few surprises, despite the predictable time travel theme. I found "Meet the Robinsons" to be silly, cartoonish, yes, but also contained some intriguing and tantalizing potential for a cutting edge technology that, if applied without the gimics of "coming-at-you" could give incredible realism to the film experience. This technology is decades away for home viewers, and possibly might give film enough shot in the arm to keep it viable for a couple more decades to come.

Now, if they could only do something about the glasses... perhaps if they make their appearance cool...

oscar jubis
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Dylan and I planned to watch it. Then I got the flu. I drove him to the theatre and came home to lay down. He absolutely loved it! He told my brother about it and they took my little niece today after school. I'm banking on it staying at theatres for a few more weeks. He agrees that the film "ups the wow factor".