PDA

View Full Version : Let's All Hate Toronto

Johann
04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I just read about a new 73-min. film that explores how much Canadians outside of the province hate Toronto.

I know exactly what they mean.

But this news doesn't trump what just went down today at Virginia Tech. What is going on with school shootings?
We just had one up here in Montreal not too long ago.
Senseless tragedies

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/13/hate.toronto.reut/index.html

Chris Knipp
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
I hope this doesn't mean we should all hate the Toronto Film Festival. Or are you going to have to hold your nose while you're there?

Johann
04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Toronto is universally hated. Mainly for the people and the "vibe".
People are corporate drones there. Same with Calgary.
Not all- I'd hate to blanket everybody.

The festival is a whole other matter.
That's the pre-eminent reason to live or go there.

Chris Knipp
04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Long before I heard anything about the Toronto Film Festival I knew people who moved to the city from California and reported that it was a great movie town.

Of course it was where Glenn Gould lived as an adult but it was not where he went to recharge or where he grew up. He seemed to prefer it to New York, which he referred to as "debut town," and stopped going to to record when he could.

Johann
04-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Yes, he's buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery- I'll try to get a good camera shot for you when I head down.

Toronto is a great movie town.
It's a cinema culture juggernaut.
(the rest of the country is in contempt of that fact)
Vancouver's really trying, Hollywood North and all. The film festival in Van is getting stronger every year and I had no complaints whatsoever about how it was programmed. The VanCity Theatre is gorgeous too- if you ever find yourself in Vancouver you have to catch a flick there.
It's the main venue for the VIFF and it's a killer complement to the pacific cinematheque.

But I'm an Ontario boy, born and raised.
I went out west 'cuz Jim Morrison said it's the best. (and because of the Army).

I feel more at home now that I've been back to Ontario for a while. Das Kapital has it's sleepy charms. (and I've finally found the best connection for plants here).

Toronto has a statue of Alexander the Great in the Greek district. Looking very forward to exploring the city more and checking out the festival.