PDA

View Full Version : Judd Apatow: KNOCKED UP

mouton
06-03-2007, 06:16 PM
KNOCKED UP
Written and Directed by Judd Apatow

Pete: Isn’t it weird when you have a kid and all your dreams go out the window?

Judd Apatow is something of a contemporary creative hero. He is a man who works within a rigid system and delivers consistently hilarious fare that manages to remain oddly honest and revealing. The director of THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN returns this summer with KNOCKED UP, a comedy about dealing with the unexpected that lives up to all its expectations. After one night of drunken, messy sex, Alison and Ben (Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen) find themselves in a situation many have found themselves in before, pregnant. Alison is fresh from a promotion while Ben is busy doing nothing at all. Neither expected to see the other ever again, much less raise a child together. This is horrible timing for both of them but both must learn that nothing makes two people grow up faster than having a baby. And what do two grown-ups do when faced with a less than ideal scenario like this one? Why they give up on looking for love and force a relationship to form between each other for the sake of their child and in the interest of being responsible human beings. The idea that they could actually be successful is hilarious enough in itself.

Apatow sets us up from the start. We meet Ben in the middle of a stoned back yard boxing match of enormous proportions. Moments later, we meet Alison waking to her alarm so that she can prepare for her responsible day as a functional member of society. They meet each other in a bar later that day. Alison is there to celebrate her promotion and Ben is there to drink. Alison is young and vibrant; Ben is a pudgy stoner. He is not without charm but social hierarchies would keep him way out of her league. And so KNOCKED UP begins its journey into the male fantasy. In this fantasy, a male nobody can get with a female somebody with absolutely no explanation that would give it any sort of rational sense. Without it though, there would be no premise to develop. Further to this, Alison decides that she and Ben should do their best to be together. This successful woman who already has a supportive family that could help her through her pregnancy and raise the child suddenly sees no chance of finding her own happiness and learns to settle.

Are you laughing yet? C’mon, this is funny stuff. The funniest thing about KNOCKED UP is that it actually is funny. Heigl and Rogen both turn in fantastic performances that will certainly leave audiences wanting even more of them. They are also surrounded by a number of supporting players who may be one-sided but make the most of their limited depth. On Alison’s side, Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd play Alison’s sister and her husband. They too found themselves unexpectedly pregnant when they were younger and decided to take a shot at happiness together. Only, all these years later, he makes excuses to be out of the house to clear his head and she doesn’t trust that he’s being faithful. On Ben’s side, he’s got a pack of stoner buddies (Jason Segel, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill and Martin Starr) who help him keep it real. They also stop him from becoming the man he needs to be if he’s going to be a good father. Where Apatow’s talent steps in is in making all of this symbolism apparent without being the least bit obvious or overwrought. The entire cast is clearly having a blast with their characters and with each other, making it impossible not to laugh along with them. There are also more pop culture references than you can shake a “Gilmore Girls” series finale at.

Despite all their chemistry though, Heigl and Rogen never fully convince me that they have actually fallen in love. Sure they each learn a thing or two about themselves and how to be better to each other but in the end, Apatow does more damage than good. One walks away from KNOCKED UP thinking that a baby can bring people together or save a relationship. One also walks away thinking that to grow up means to leave your dreams and frivolity behind you, to settle in to a potential life of boredom and disappointment. Finally, and fortunately for all involved, one also walks away from KNOCKED UP laughing one’s ass off and not caring one bit about convention and the dangers that stem from it.

www.blacksheepreviews.blogspot.com
Voted 4th Best Blog in Montreal 2007!

Johann
08-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Knocked Up

A friend and I had passes to see any movie @ St. Laurent mall and we didn't want to see any of the movies playing.
(Except SiCKO, which we'd already seen and my buddy said SiCKO is for Americans, not Canadians), so we took a chance on "Knocked Up"- it looked funny and we both really enjoyed 40 Year-Old Virgin.
Mr. Apatow is awesome.
His scenarios and dialogues have the ring of truth to them.
I was loving the fact that the characters and situations could be totally real- you could know and hang out with people like Ben and Alison (well, maybe just people like Ben in my case- ha ha)

The movie opens with the Universal Studios intro with a little O.D.B:
Shimmy Shimmy Ya "OH BABY I LIKE IT RAW"- one of my fave rap trax ever.

The movie just gets more and more enjoyable from there.

Ben is a massive stoner (his last name is STONE- wow who knew?), and everytime him and his buddies are having discussions, it's complete stoner-speak:
"you almost never see CREDIT-BUSH!"
His pals and he are working on a website that tells you where and when and at what time in movies celebrities show nipples or cheek- little do they know that someone already thought of it.

The real-ness of these characters struck a chord with me.
I kept thinking that this story could easily be real-life.
Two polar opposite people being thrown into a hellish situation.

The morning-after scene had me bracing for some extremely uncomfortable scenage. But they go for breakfast, and Ben is quite oblivious (nee: unconscious) about what happened.
"Last night was awesome- what I remember of it"
She leaves him sitting there, and you assume that these two will never meet again. EVER.

But, the movie's title reminds you that these two aren't finished with each other.

She gets morning sickness at work, her girlfriend quizzes her on her period, they buy up shitloads of home pregnancy tests (one of the best scenes in the movie by the way- there were two women behind us who were laughing like they were higher than we were- they were in hysterics over that pregnancy test sequence).

Her worst nightmare comes true when she contacts Ben to go with her to her gynecologist to confirm the pregnancy.
Both of their lives are about to change.
(a scene that had me howling was the one with the other gynecologist, the woman. "That happens about five times a week")
Holy shit did I laugh...

These two are in no way compatible, with totally different lifestyles and they know it. They try to make it work for the baby, because let's face it, in that type of situ you don't have any damn choice. Your life just did a 180 degree turn and you cannot be nonchalant about it. That's why Ben is a good character. He triumphs in the end, because you think he has no means, wherewithal or drive to raise a child. How in the hell will this deadbeat stoner rise to the occasion?
Watch it and see. He could be an inspiration for other guys who've ruined their lives.
I like the way Apatow makes everybody you hate get their comeuppance.
His buddies get "pink-eye" (hilarious), Ben tells off the pushy, holier-than-thou bitch who doesn't even acknowledge he actually exists, and by the end even Alison is sorry she told him to go fuck his bong.

This movie is just great.
It's feel-good, it's feel-bad, it's funny as all hell and it succeeds because it's so real. The dialogue is just like real-life, it's hard to believe that this was "written"- the things people say in this film are not scripted. It feels as though it's drawn from some real-life story, which is testament to the abilities of the cast and Apatow as director.

I had a blast.
Check it out.

oscar jubis
11-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I finally watched Knocked Up, on dvd, the unrated version that adds four minutes to the 2h9m theatrical release. I had my reservations about a comedy of this duration as most consistently funny and engaging comedies are under 2 hours long. What a pleasant surprise! Knocked Up made me laugh throughout and I didn't have the benefit of an appreciative audience watching it with me.

This is a comment, not a review, because I don't have much to opine that hasn't been said above. Yes, Apatow's "scenarios and dialogues have the ring of truth to them", "the characters and situations could be totally real" (Johann). Apparently some of it was improvised, particularly scenes involving the kids (Apatow is their real-life daddy), and Ben hanging out with his pals. Apatow knows a thing or two about the highs and lows of married life too_what goes on between Alison's sister (Apatow's wife Leslie Mann) and her husband is just as interesting as the relationship between Alison and Ben (Seth Rogen's performance was a revelation to me, by the way, a more expressive and nuanced actor than box-office darling Steve Carell).

I think it's important to note that Knocked Up is not entirely reality-based comedy. There are some well-integrated satiric bits that poke fun at gynecologists and the people involved in those shallow, inane entertainment-news tv shows .

I found it kind of odd though, that Alison would give practically no consideration to having an abortion. Actually, the word is not used in the film, only an invented "code" word that sounds like abortion (during a conversation between Alison and her sister). I didn't think that there was anything about the character of Alison that would rule out the procedure so automatically. One gets the sense that Apatow and the producers didn't want to alienate the third of America that is staunchly anti-abortion.

Whaddya think?

Johann
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Oscar. It's a great movie.
A really enjoyable rental or DVD purchase.

Judd Apatow can't be faulted for trying something a little new and edgy. A good take on human foibles and social behavior.

It's so nice to see a stoner from Van B.C. bringing something to the table.

I'm very happy for Seth and Apatow.
Superbad is different, but equally great.
Kubrick always maintained:
Real is good, Interesting is better.

Knocked Up is real and it's interesting.
An damn funny.
Boo-yah Grandma.