PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Bourdieu's POISON FRIENDS

oscar jubis
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Poison Friends is the first theatrical feature directed by Emmanuel Bourdieu, previouly known primarily as the scriptwriter of Arnaud Desplechin's My Sex Life and Esther Kahn. The film is set in the world of Parisian academia and concerns a quartet of college kids with literary aspirations. The pivotal character is Andre, a seemingly self-assured young man with the charisma and the looks of The Doors' Jim Morrison who uses deceit and deception to manipulate the vocational and romantic lives of his impressionable peers. The characters are nicely drawn by Bourdieu, who seems quite familiar with the intellectual milieu. The script uses dry humor to ridicule some of the excesses of this environment. Malik Zidi was singled out as Most Promising Actor at the 2007 Cesars but it was Thibault Vincon (as Andre) who left a most indelible impression on me. Natacha Regnier provides brilliant support as a librarian much admired by a couple of the boys.

Poison Friends opened the International Critics' Week at Cannes 2006 and won its Grand Prize. The film had its American premiere at the 2006 New York Film Festival and opened commercially in the US in 2007.

Johann
08-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Sounds right up my alley. I'll keep an eye out.

This Jim Morrison "character"- is it parody, tribute or archetype?
Are the filmmakers consciously using Jim as a model or is it just a vague resemblance/characterization?

You know how much I don't like people exploiting the Doors legacy :)

-Didja get my last e-mail?

oscar jubis
08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think the filmmakers are consciously using Jim as a model. Simply, Vincon's looks reminded me of the Doors iconic frontman circa '67 and the character he plays projects the magnetism and cockiness of Jim on stage. It turns out to be an act, as far as the film goes.
Thanks for the email. I've replied.

Chris Knipp
08-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I reviewed it in the Festival Coverage for the NYFF of course. You'll find that review here. (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?1851-Ny-Film-Festival-2006&p=15995#post159955) I wasn't conscious of the link with Desplechin though and that makes a lot of sense--similar milieu to My Sex Life's.