PDA

View Full Version : Death Proof (Extended and Unrated)

Johann
11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
The 2-disc special edition of Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof is great.

This film is not for everybody. I saw it last night with my friends Dave and Judy and Judy walked out just before Arlene gives Stuntman Mike a *stunning* lapdance.
Judy said: I'm tired of looking at women's asses in this movie. I'm not a Dyke.
I was able to coax her back to watch the car chase, (she lives down the hall), and she was still hostile toward the film: There's no way that woman would be able to hold on to that hood- she's doing what only a man can do.
She didn't like Quentin's dialogue either:
WOMEN JUST DON'T TALK LIKE THAT!

So I know full well that Death Proof is not for your average moviegoer. It's for that *other* type of movie buff.

I worship it, because I know what Tarantino was doing.
I know what he achieved, and it's gloriously cinematic to me.
A very different type of slasher film, one with strange characters and kick-ass vehicular action.

That first major accident (the one with decaps and exploding blood) was awesome. Then the girls hunt the big bad stuntman down, who eventually gets shot (and whines like Bill O'Reilly when you stick him with the truth) and of course have a monster-ass violent car chase that has few cinematic peers.

Johann
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Aside from the incredible, almost 20-minute car chase, the soundtrack is what truly rocks here.

I LOVE the songs that QT chose to accentuate his brilliant 6th film: "Chick Habit" by April March, that song from Dave, Dee Dee, etc. group that Pete Townshend almost joined, "Down in Mexico"- holy hotness mama what a great song to do a lapdance to...all songs are blistering. All songs are rare, perfect movie songs. Only Tarantino can select tracks like these. And I also loved the shots of the jukebox mechanically selecting 45's to drop the needle on. Music fans love it, film buffs should love it.
It's pure nostalgia of a 70's type.

That Dodge Challenger is a beauty.
I loved hearing that people around Austin Texas were asking QT and crew if they were making a remake of Vanishing Point.
And the Dodge Charger is also a sweet machine.
Very specific classic look to those cars.
Very nice to look at and very nice to watch in a balls-out car chase.

The special features are excellent. I could watch the making-of type featurettes on films like this forever. Quentin is so enthusiastic and so keen on films, film stuntmen, actors and actresses, the whole fucking process of filmmaking. He is one CONSUMED man. He is totally consumed by his art and his passion and we are so much the better for it.

Thanks Quentin.
Thanks a trillion man.
Your movies rule the school.