PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gibney: Taxi to the Dark Side (2008)

Chris Knipp
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
ALEX GIBNEY: TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE (2008)

Familiar yet essential information about American policy post-9/11

Taxi to the Dark Side doesn't contain anything wholly new, just more complete detail and important clarifications, such that Guantanamo uses very much the same basic methods as Abu Ghraib, though the location is cleaner and of course wasn't formerly used by Saddam Hussein. Dilawar, the Afghan taxi driver, was essentially beaten to death by American soldiers in the Bagram prison. He did not live long once his ill-trained though plainly-directed captors got hold of him--but his final hours were terrifying and horrible. They kicked his legs till they turned to pulp and would have had to be amputated, had he lived. A heart condition caused an embolism that went to his brain and was the cause of death, which on the official US papers given to Dilawar's family, in English so they did not know what they meant, was "homicide," but the officer in charge of the prison denied this when queried. Gibney, who is responsible previously for the documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, presents interviews with some of the American soldiers responsible for Dilawar's death. They were, of course, only following orders. Other talking heads clarify the fact that the "gloves are off" policy by US authorities following 9/11/01 goes back to Cheney, approved by Bush, carried out with gusto by Rumsfeld, and sent directly down the line to the low ranking and inexperienced people whose behavior after the Abu Ghraib scandal emerged was claimed by authorities to be people on the "night shift" or "a few bad apples." This film thoroughly disproves that claim.

We know that Alberto Gonzales, George W. Bush's smirking rubber stamp Attorney General (one chokes on the thought that such a man held such a title in this country), would not condemn the use of torture, nor would his successor agree that waterboarding was torture. The authorities made clear, inevitably, that the Geneva Conventions were not going to apply to the "war on terror." Behind all this is the fact that the US administration was willing to blatantly disregard the rule of law, domestic as well as international, to fight their "war on terror" in ways that involved extreme cruelty and murder. In their doing this they had the assistance of various corrupt or immoral or, if you prefer, simply very misguided, men of the law and the judiciary.

The practices have been illegal. They may also have been variously unwise. The photos of Americans mistreating moslem prisoners at Abu Ghraib are good recruiting material for anti-US terrorists. But torture also simply doesn't work, accomplishes nothing useful. Much time is given to Alfred McCoy, author of a book called The Question of Torture and a professor of history at the University of Wisconsin. McCoy recounts that the CIA has been working on methods of coercion for all the decades of its existence, but their experiments have yielded nothing--but lawsuits from victimized guinea pigs. Another authority, a former CIA operative, asserts that the best method to obtain information is to gain the confidence of the prisoner and convince him you can help him.

But post 9/11 "high value" prisoners were clearly tortured with anything their captors could think of--and then confessed to anything they could think of. The film clarifies that psychological experiments by Donald Hobb at McGill University in the Seventies proved sensory deprivation and sleep deprivation are the most effective means of torture; at least according to Hobb they can induce psychosis within 48 hours. The film shows that basically all "terrorism" suspects here and abroad have been subjected to sensory deprivation. That is what covering the ears, head, and hands does; and it was and is standard treatment to continue this for hours and days. This is more effective than pain. But effective at doing what? Breaking down the prisoner, not obtaining reliable information, or any information, for that matter.

Hence the widely spread US policies are not only cruel, harmful, dangerous, immoral, and illegal, but stupid and in intelligence-gathering terms, worthless.

These policies, the "extraordinary rendition," the waterboarding, the sensory deprivation, etc. don't work in practical terms. But they have a political purpose. They convince people that the US is "getting tough" on its enemies. Except that another thing this film shows is that the wholesale captures and imprisonments are not of actual enemies by and large, but of people fingered for money or to distract from the actual wrongdoers, or to satisfy a desire for revenge. No system has been consistently followed. If it were, the useless prisoners or wrongly captured would be filtered out, as Dilawar ought to have been. He was innocent. And now the US authorities are in a bad position. They cannot acquit even those few Guantanamo prisoners they are putting up for show trials, because to do so would reveal that they had been held for six years for no reason. That would look bad. Varieties of Orwellian terminology have been devised to describe these prisoners. The film also shows "tours" of Guantanamo and deflates the claims of guides.

One reason for all this is who's been in charge: a group of draft dodgers who never served in a war. Senator McCain is shown in the film as a man who opposes torture for good reason: because he experienced it during his years in a North Vietnam prison.

Another issue: America has developed a culture of guilty-as-charged, of hysterical attacks on imagined enemies. An example: the popular jingoistic TV program "24," starring Kiefer Sutherland as a CIA agent who "saves" millions by torturing mad terrorists with ticking bombs in Times Square. A Dark Side talking head asserts no such a person has been captured but if he were he'd have the commitment to die rather than reveal information about his plot. But a survey showed after the Abu Ghraib scandal that the American public still considered torture a desirable method.

I do not know if torture never gets you useful information, though the assertion that insinuation into the confidence of a prisoner is more effective makes sense. What is clear enough from Gibney's powerful and disturbing film (which contains many images not for the squeamish) is that the torture and wrongful imprisonment and lawlessness of the US as a nation post-9/11 indicate a country that has become very cruel and very stupid under Bush the second. For anyone unfamiliar with the details of the legal cases, the prisons, the deaths in prison, and the interrogations, this film sums it all up vividly. Interested persons should then go to other sources such as the informational play Guantanamo: Honor Bound to Preserve Freedom, the memoir of the unusually articulate freed Guantanamo prisoner and UK citizen Moazzam Begg; Michael Winerbottom's The Road to Guantanamo and the many other related sources.

Andrew O'Hehir of Salon.com recounts (http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2007/04/30/tribeca_2/) that at a post-screening Q&A when Gibney was asked what he hoped his film would accomplish, he said "I hope it provokes some rage."

"Well," says O'Hehir, "it worked on me."

May it work on everyone who sees it.

The title comes from Dick Cheney's remark to Tim Russert on "Meet the Press" September 16, 2001 that to fight the war on terrorism, "We also have to work, though, sort of the dark side, if you will."

The film was first shown at Tribeca in April 2007. It is in limited US release since January 18, 2008.

Johann
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Perfect review Chris.
Thanks to you and cinemabon, this film is now on my priority list.

Everything you mention about torture and the U.S. is bang-on and I'm glad films like this are getting made.

This is an extremely important subject, and the truth about these "immoral, illegal, stupid and worthless" policies needs as much light shone on it as humanly possible.

I'll comment more when I get a chance to see this.
Thanks again for the review.

Chris Knipp
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank you, Johann. This is definitely a subject and a movie worthy of the kind of invective at which you excel. Get mad! Definitely one of the most important documentaries of the year.

Johann
02-22-2008, 07:12 PM
You can probably imagine what I'd say about this one.

I don't need to be provoked into rage.
I already got plenty.
In fact I got too much.
Rage for sale!
5 cents gets ya two tons!

But seriously though,
this issue of torture and human rights violations (especially post 9/11) is no joke.
If you ever found yourself on the other end of that gusto-rich "gloves are off" American policy, oh LORD wouldn't you want the whole world to know you're innocent and suffering?

Damn straight.
This kind of film needs way more publicity.

Why doesn't some gazillionaire who just doesn't give a shit anymore go totally nuts on a marketing blitz for important, relevant films like this one? Get the word out on evil,
you know?

OOPS, you caught me dreaming again.
Sorry 'bout that.
Heil Dubya!

Chris Knipp
02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE has gotten a lot of excellent reviews, Metacritic 81--so my informaiton seems to be wrong and it must have opened in other places besides NYC and LA.

I don't think it is getting much publicity. Look at when it opened-=it's been dumped.

We can assume that work of mouth will help.

Do dream, please.

Johann
02-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Another example of the convoluted release & distribution system.
It never ends.
I have quandariffic thoughts on how and why and under what circumstances films receive the fates they do.

Absolute garbage like Shrek 3 rakes in mountains of cash and is assured a zillion in DVD/TV sales yet we can't see Taxi to the Dark Side unless we keep our eyes peeled, unless we stay sharp. Pisses me off.

I just heard Oliver Stone's film Pinkville has been shut down due to both the studio (United Artists) and the writer's strike. The excuse was that political movies are not hot right now, audiences are tired of politics.

Oliver's decision?
Begin work on BUSH.

He's gonna start shooting in April for a 2009 release.

Mr. Stone, if you're listening..
make this one the barn burner.
Make this one the Mother.

Obliterate.
Destroy.
I know you still believe Jim's Mantra:
Fuck it.
Anything goes. ANYTHING.
Kill the mother...
Don't slow nothing down.
The audience thinks fast.
If it's worth making...
THEN YOU SHOULD MAKE IT.

Chris Knipp
02-22-2008, 10:56 PM
That made me laugh.

The system really sucks, and they are so incompetent. Wasting money is the American way--but not on serious stuff.

Politics not "hot"?!? That's nonsense. But maybe it's not. Is Hillary vs. Obama politics, or jut a choice of flavors, light chocolate vs. vanilla?

I thought Kimberly Pierce's STOP-LOSS might be political, but on looking into it I find it is mainly about how dedicated our boys are overseas. HOOWAH! CAMARADERIE! Still, it may inspire some debate. But not about why we are in Iraq, apparently. That doesn't come up, not even in REDACTED or IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH.

War is hell, and it messes you up. Okay. What about it is completely unnecessary and a mistake?

Chris Knipp
02-23-2008, 12:09 AM
This from STOP-LOSS's comments page, the only thing of its kind amid a sea of patriotism and camaraderie:
David: STOP-LOSS CONGRESS ! http://www.stop-losscongress.org/ MARCH 10 to 12, 2008 (Monday to Wednesday) in Washington,D.C: This March, while tens of thousands of Americans in Washington, D.C., and all over the United States participate in acts of nonviolent civil disobedience to protest the ongoing occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, and when soldiers and innocent civilian victims begin another year of occupation, torture, and murder, Congressmembers will be on vacation (from the 15th to 30th), ignoring the killing and suffering they have enabled, supported, and financed. To intensify the irony, Congress has condoned a widespread stop-loss policy in the military which requires soldiers to involuntarily extend their tours and prolong the killing. It is time to Stop-Loss Congress! On Monday March 10, and Tuesday March 11, we will deliver "official" stop-loss notices to all members of Congress in their Capitol Hill offices. These will notify them that all of their LEAVES, VACATIONS, PASSES and HOME VISITS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED until further notice. Just as active-duty personnel endure involuntary extensions of their tours of duty, we are notifying Congress that they, too, will have their "tours of duty" INVOLUNTARILY EXTENDED until every soldier and mercenary out of Iraq and home. When all the troops and contractors get home, then Congress can go home, and no sooner. To sign the Stop Loss Order go to http://www.stop-losscongress.org/ On Wednesday March 12, we will take nonviolent action on Capitol Hill, to ensure that, while thousands of Iraqis, Afghanis, and foreign invaders die and are injured for life, the members of Congress and their staffs will not go home but remain to DO THEIR DUTY, and immediately end the funding of the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. No members of Congress goes home until THE TROOPS COME HOME. JOIN US! http://www.stop-losscongress.org/
HR That's from here: http://www.stoplossmovie.com/SoundOff/index.php?vid=12&viewall=1&q=1#comments

Johann
02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Perfect man.

Chris Knipp
02-23-2008, 12:11 PM
But that website will give you a taste of all the true believers out there who think we've got to stay in Iraq to keep Saddam from rising from the dead and bombing us, more or less. HONOR BOUND TO DEFEND FREEDOM. Means go to some godforsaken place full of subhuman gooks or ragheads and kill people.

http://www.stoplossmovie.com/SoundOff/

"BE PART OF THE FRONT LINE DIALOUGE [their spelling] SOUND OFF NOW!" Yeah, right.

Chris Knipp
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEX GIBNEY AND ALL THE CREW FOR WINNING THE OSCAR FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FOR TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE! BRAVO!

Johann
02-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Now that it's just won an Oscar maybe a whole lot of people will check it out.

Very happy that this type of film is getting recognized.

Chris Knipp
02-24-2008, 10:26 PM
It's a good choice, I think. Documentaries can play a very important role.

Chris Knipp
09-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney is seeking more than $1 million in damages from ThinkFilm, distributor of his recent Oscar-winning film, "Taxi to the Dark Side." Late last week X-Ray Productions, producers of Gibney's film, charged that ThinkFilm fradulently hid the fact that it could not properly release the film in theaters. . .--Beginning of June Indiewire article (http://www.indiewire.com/biz/2008/06/alex_gibney_v_t.html) about the issue of TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE'S limited distribution.
n June 2007, the Discovery Channel bought the rights to broadcast Taxi to the Dark Side. However, in February 2008, they made public their intention never to broadcast the documentary due to its controversial nature.[7] HBO then bought rights to the film and announced that it would be broadcast in September 2008, after which the Discovery Channel announced it would broadcast Taxi to the Dark Side in 2009. Many pundits and bloggers derided the decision, claiming that the Discovery Channel did not wish to risk Gibney criticizing the network at the Academy Awards should his movie win the Best Documentary Oscar, and also pointed out that the Discovery Channel's projected 2009 broadcast date would occur after President George W. Bush left office--Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_to_the_Dark_Side) on [TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE. It's all very scandalous and unfortunate. The Oscar-winning documentary, and on a topic of enormous importance, ought to have been seen by a very wide audience in theaters, fostering public forum, rather than just on DVD's.

Sadly, even an Oscar isn't enough sometimes.

oscar jubis
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
My first impression of Alex Gibney was based on a film he wrote but did not direct: The Trials of Henry Kissinger (2002). That film contains a wealth of valuable material but I was disappointed by its tendency to take Nixon administration foreign policy out of historical context and put the blame for some despicable actions squarely on the shoulders of the titular person. Satirical jabs at Kissinger's star persona seemed shallow and superfluous. Gibney's own directorial efforts show increasing artistic maturity. Taxi to the Dark Side is uniformly rigorous and clear-headed. Gibney's success here rests on his ability to synthesize information and "connect the dots" so that the viewer understands what led to the abuse and murder of persons captured during Bush's "War on Terror".

The other non-fiction theatrical release of 2008 that concerns the (mis)treatment of these individuals is Errol Morris's Standard Operating Procedure. There is no doubt that its focus is narrower than Taxi to the Dark Side yet I found Morris's film equally helpful to my understanding of events. The film is a thorough examination of the infamous photographs taken at Abu Ghraib prison and the attempts to coverup what happened there. Both films come to similar conclusions about the policies that led to such abuses. But Morris's documentary is less concerned with socio-political aspects while examining the psychology and "group think" of the American soldiers involved in those pictures, as perpetrators of abuse, as subjects for the camera and/or as producers of the grotesque photographic documents.

(Both films are now available on dvd).

Johann
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Absolutely devastating.
I just saw it and it confirmed what I suspected all along about that shit: orders came from the top, soldiers didn't know jack shit about jack shit, and the Geneva Convention WAS NON-Existant.

It leaves no stone unturned on prisoner abuses in Iraq.
Alex Gibney gets to the meat and potatoes of what went down there. Bravo. Oscar worthy all the way...

Everyone responsible should hang.
All parties involved plead "ignorance".
Fuckin' idiots.
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Condi, top/senior military officers and the troops who got off on dehumanizing the prisoners: all should be sent to jail for war crimes.
But they won't.
Ain't America great?