PDA

View Full Version : The Rant and Rave

cinemabon
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
*(not connected to any site of the same name)

Bringing a fresh original novel to market is not simply an exercise in futility, you might as well masurbate with sandpaper. Why do I feel my situation is so similar to what others have experienced.

To borrow a phrase, I am reminded of the woman from “Casablanca” who pulls from her purse a fabulous wide bracelet with huge diamonds on it. She offers it to the merchant. He take out his jeweler’s glass and quickly inspects it. “Sorry madam,” he says to her, “Diamonds, diamonds, diamonds… everybody has diamonds.” He knows he has her at a disadvantage. She is begging for help. “I’ll take what I can get…” she says with her face. End scene.

In trying to bring a novel to market, I feel like that woman. Here are these diamond merchants with so many books pumped out daily from mindless wackos who only want their voices heard on the big stage. However, there are ugly people out there who possess amazing talent. Having someone listen is another matter.

I walked into Raleigh’s premiere independent book store yesterday. I didn’t know where to begin. I walked around and looked at books similar to mine (condition-wise, not subject-wise). “I went to your website,” I began when I addressed an older clerk. “Is it possible to have my book sold here?” I asked. “Well…” she began and went into a long “spiel” believing she was going to dismiss this bothersome person. How dare I try to publish a novel on my own. Did I have it professionally edited? Did I have it reviewed professionally? Did I meet their long list of criteria? Where is this novel? (I had it in the car. I didn’t know what to expect…) “I’ve published a novel,” I said. “Oh,” she replied. “Well, you’ll have to leave it with us. The person involved with handling that part will get back with you,” she said. “How long will take?” I asked her. “It can take weeks…” “Weeks?” I wondered. “We get dozens of books each week,” she claimed. “What do you expect?”

What do I expect? Courtesy? Kindness? Consideration? Sympathy? Forget it. The world is a cold and cynical place full of heartless people who care nothing for strangers. The New York cop… “move along buddy” to the homeless man. “Oh, look at those poor children…” the housewife who observes starving children on television and then rushes out to spend $150 dollars on pampering herself for the day. “… global warming…” the radio blares as the businessman ignores its daily blah while his Cadillac Escalade V8 runs in the parking lot while he speaks on his iphone to clients about meeting them for lunch at the country club. The Republican politician more interested in slamming a democratic president than helping his own country… even if our country is in desperate straits. They don’t care about anyone else. They only care about themselves. That’s it, isn’t it. That's all that really matters. Take care of yourself. Forget everyone else. I’m all that matters. Me... me... me... feed me... love me... make me laugh... give me a hard on... give me a car... give me a house... give me new things everyday. Take all you can as fast as you can before someone else tries to take it from you.

We are losing the war. The battles are being waged all around us. Religion used to fill that role. Religion doesn’t get it. They’ve disillusioned the public for the last time. We’re tired of ministers who screw the choir boy or prostitutes or steal their parishioner’s coffers. We're tired of religion that preaches of helping the poor while they speak from expensive pulpits and drink wine from golden goblets. We are losing the moral war on all fronts. We’re on the slippery slope of moral decline. It’s the Roman Empire… It’s the British Empire… and now the American Empire with the sun setting all around us. My little novel seems a trivial period to a footnote in comparison. Yet I care enough to bring to this market of mindless neverending rehashed plots some originality and insightful into fictional storytelling. Perhaps some day someone will listen. I only hope I’m still alive when it happens. Look at the author of "Conan."

Meanwhile I fight the battle... the battle wages on... for decency... for consideration... for kindness... for understanding... I'm lonely for reinforcements.

Johann
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Bravo!
You said it.
I feel the exact same way.
But your spirit will never be broken will it?
That's worth more than a bank account with millions in it..
Trust me cinemabon.

People just do not care.
Kubrick said "you have to supply your own light in the darkness"
You've done that, are doing that, so all is really well.

Never let those fuckers get to you.
You have a higher calling that they cannot fathom.

Johann
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I'd also like to add that I echo your complaints about people's motives.

We have a society of psychopaths, let's face it.
Education has been eroding for years.
Everything that is beneficial to the soul's nourishment is pretty much ignored.
We have become a society of OVERMEN, people who live for a little pleasure for day, a little pleasure for night, and fuck everybody else.

John Lennon wrote a song called Instant Karma, and I
believe those lyrics: "Instant Karma's gonna get you- gonna smack you right in the face. We all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun..."

But that's only a FEW of the population...
The rest TARNISH on. They tarnish everything they fucking touch.
Useless shitheels who are basically the living dead.
They take from society. Never give. Because they don't honor the soul/the spirit- of themselves or anybody else.
They truly are psychopaths.
I have no problem saying that the majority of the people on this planet don't get it at all. They have no insight or drive for insights. I wonder how they function at all.

cinemabon
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I thought the book writing part was difficult. The book selling aspect is a nightmare times ten!

Johann
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
There are millions and millions of books out there.
It's really hard to make a splash.
You almost gotta have hand-of-god literature in order to get noticed.
I have no advice on how to market your book, other than never give up. (and Fortune Favors The Bold...)

Just keep a Mantra:
I won't be denied!

cinemabon
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I spoke with the assistant director of a local company today about my novel - a very pleasant married young black woman trying to be polite by saying she would buy my book. She asked me if I would sign her copy when it came in...

"I'd kiss your booty if it would help my sales!" I told her.

I was glad to see her husband laugh when I made my faux pas. Needless to say, she and her husband are very good friends of my wife and I. But you should have heard the lecture I got all the way home!

cinemabon
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
No one can tell me anything about the book because, apparently, NO ONE'S READ IT!!!!! Yes, it's true. Between the free copies I handed out to individuals as party souvenirs and door stops, the reality is that when I checked back with those same people whose words of praise and encouragement kept me going... well, according to every single person, no one has had the time to read the affore mentioned beast. So that, when I asked my friends, family, friends of family, a family of friends and so on...

"Have you read it?"

"No... I just haven't had the time..."

"I see..." (But inside I was saying... "That's such a hill of...!!!!")

Well, you know.... the stuff that dreams or rather nightmares produce.... gas.

Ah, the joys and pleasures one experiences when writing one's own novel... novelties.

cinemabon
04-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Enough to make you believe (the blatant plug)

If you bother to read this blog, then you will understand I have “self published” my novel at great personal expense during a time in my life when I can least afford it. However, after years of agents refusing my work without even bothering to read it, I wanted my novel published. To obtain an agent is difficult. To obtain a publishing contract is downright impossible. A growing population of authors have turned to self publishing as a means of getting their voice to the marketplace. However, of the 175,000 self published books last year less than 10% (13,000) were fiction, a dwindling precious few we are.

Over the past few years, Author Solutions has purchased many of the most successful POD (publish on demand) companies. The small independent companies, such as Chapel Hill Press (one of our local publishers) find it difficult to compete. They offered me a publishing contract which would have cost me thousands of dollars. This can hardly compete with iUniverse where I can publish for one tenth the cost and that includes many features the local company cannot offer such as one round of editing, custom covers and free copies. Who is to say which one is more legitimate?

In addition to iUniverse, Author Solutions owns Authorhouse, Xlibris, Trafford, and Wordclay. While iUniverse offers several plans to publish your novel and promote it with extensive editorial review, Authorhouse is the bargain hunter’s way to publish your novel with the least overhead cost. Here you can publish a novel for as little as $500 dollars. However, they also do not review any work, which means that what you submit is published word for word without an edit.

Recently, Authorhouse reached across the gap between companies and made me an offer I found very difficult to refuse. I only had to submit special paperwork via fax and I would effectively publish with the least costly of all self publishing services. They also offer the benefits of custom covers and free books. Being of sound mind but limited budget, I felt inclined to agree. I filled out the necessary paperwork and seemed destined to join the many budget-minded authors who throw caution to the wind and hope they’ve made the necessary changes to their work without any peer review.

I went to our local Kinkos and faxed the document… and faxed the document… and faxed the document. Somehow, each time I tried, it failed. I tried to call Authorhouse. However, the agent involved did not immediately respond. I had to pick up my son from school. He was late. He spoke with a friend whom he had not seen since spring break. He asked me if I would not mind waiting in the parking lot for another ten minutes. Just at that moment, iUniverse called. Not only would they match the Authorhouse deal, they wanted to help me publish the entire ten volume series of science fiction novels. To say I was elated would be an understatement. I’ve enjoyed my experience with iUniverse over the past six months as I prepared my manuscript for publication. The novel went through four major revisions and had to satisfy an entire list of criteria before they considered the novel a commercial property. I am satisfied with their support and my work.

Later, when the agent from Authorhouse did contact me, he asked me how I dialed the fax. I told him area code and number, just as I put them through on my cell phone. “You didn’t dial the one first?” he asked me. “It’s a land line.” For some strange reason, I had not dialed a land line phone for a very long time. My wife and I have cell phones. The thought never occurred to me to add the number one before the rest of the number. Was it just a mistake on my part, or had some other entity intervened on my behalf?

One never knows when a higher authority may be looking out for their best interest.

Please go to http://www.iuniverse.com and put in “The Distant Voices” title. You must put in the whole title. “Distant Voices” is another work. The story is more than just a science fiction novel. I tried to include those qualities that I found enthralling when I wanted a novel to keep my interest. I hope that the journey you take with Michael Tyler will cover new ground and take you to places beyond your imagination. Of course, every author hopes for that kind of reaction.

“We write frankly and fearlessly but then we ‘modify’ before we print.” Mark Twain – "Life on the Mississippi"

cinemabon
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
In addition to the contract for my next novel in "The Voices Saga" series, I obtained the services of a professional editor! We are no longer a Ma and Pa-out-of-their-garage-fly-by-night operation! Hooray! I will hand that novel over later this month as I am putting my final touches on that.

This is a movie site. I will see Star Trek next week because... I must confess, I am a trekker.

Finally, the independent book store that frightened me and poo-pooed my novel's very existance did a 180 last week. They offered me a local contract and said they liked the book! This is huge for me since they are the largest outlet for independent authors in the area. Simply having them recognize me is an honor. You can find a link to them on my website (those who know will go).

Ths summer season has tipped off with a mediocre film ("Wolverine," he whispered). I hope things go up from here. I don't know about sinking lower.

Johann
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Great to hear you're making strides.
Keep at it.

I've thought about writing a novel myself (I think I could come up with something very readable) but I hesitate because Emily Dickenson's opinion about publishing rattles in my skull:
Publication is the auctioning of the mind.

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me-
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

cinemabon
05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Please click on the following links:

The first is Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Voices-Saga-1/dp/1440131821/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242316543&sr=8-6

the second is Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=the+distant+voices&box=the%20distant%20voices&pos=-1

Will make a great read this summer by the pool

Johann
06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I ordered your book over two weeks ago.
No ticky no laundry?

cinemabon
06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Johann, I hope you've read the novel by now. You must tell me what you thought.

I am working on the sequel. I have the first third in wet cement. The middle third is with an editor. I am casually going through the last third of the sequel. It should go to press this fall. I decided to move up the publication date.

Movies I'd like to see... "Public Enemy", "Up", and "Cheri"

cinemabon
07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Since no one reads this post or cares about my novel, may I suggest some other titles for your summer reading:

"Under the stands" by Seymour Hyman

"Trails in the sand" by Peter Dragon

and my personal favorite,

"I'm so lonely" by Mike Hunt