PDA

View Full Version : Influence of the young

cinemabon
08-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Last December was the first anniversary of our Playstation 3 purchase; yet my wife, son, and I resisted the temptation to switch our collection of film over to "Blue Ray." I have a very extensive collection in DVD. It took me seven years to sell my Laserdisc collection to make the switch. I was damned if any corporation was going to bamboozle me into buying another damn format... 8 track, cassette, reel to reel, 78, 45, 33 1/3, CED, Laserdisc, Betamax, VHS, Super 8, 8mm, 16mm... Go to bloody hell! I was tired of all changing formats for preserving sound and picture.

This afternoon as I rushed through Target on my way to grab some milk and tampons (no they were not for me... damned embarrassment to send a husband...) and there it was... this blue jewel, this pretty sparkling thing, this three dimensional image. Yes it was 30 damn dollars but I just had to have it!

My first blue ray disc... of (get this) "Watchman." Please don't lecture me on taste. But if you had a teenage son that plays video games... well, you see my point. Don't you?

At any rate, we put the thing on.... three hours later we were still going... "Wow! Did you see the scene when he..." Yes, it was that cool. Oh, not so much the film. The story was slightly predictable and the special effects pretty good. I mean the clear picture and sound! I've never seen a film with so much detail on a television set, truly 35mm likeness.

Damn, right after I bought the complete Sherlock Holmes, too. Oh well, perhaps that will be in blue ray some day as well. Meanwhile I'll save up my pennies and buy another blue ray disc... when one is on sale. 30 bucks is a lot to drop on any home video.

oscar jubis
08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a friend who has the latest technology. When I visit him, I marvel at the picture quality these new discs deliver. As for myself, no-income, middle-aged full-time student that I am, I still watch movies on one of those extremely bulky early-90s sets. When that breaks, I'll have to buy a flat-screen TV. Until then...

Johann
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Watchmen is a Masterpiece.
I'm a little shocked you bought it. (and watched it!)
Didn't the ultra-violence put you off?

That film is one of my all-time favorites...forever.

cinemabon
08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Johann, your observations are spot on. I had to laugh. This blue ray version is almost X rated with full frontal nudity and extreme violence (when the gunman shoots off parts of the girl in the office, it was extremely graphic). While my son, who plays such video games as Fallout and Call of Duty, found the violence only mildly entertaining; I with my 1950's sense or morality, found it shocking. The gang beating of the oldest superhero I thought was the most disturbing. I had to look away. The martial arts attack in the alley, while violent, was more on the comical side (which led to the duo's tryst). The clarity and detail made the violence vividly objectionable. That is why I had to laugh. Had I known, I would have never purchased the DVD. However, the experience had one major benefit... my teenage son actually sat down with his father and we did something together - a miracle of itself.

Thanks Oscar for the feedback. I can related to your student status. Had I not purchased the HDTV six years ago when they were a novelty, I could not afford to do that today (although I would have a better television). While I find the expense difficult to justify, I can assure you the picture value is outstanding. So I will commiserate your predicament, yet express my envy... more than any experience in the world, I would love to be a college student once more. No aspiration can achieve a higher purpose than to enrich the mind.

Johann
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh yes, it's a VERY adult film.
I would even say it's for intelligent adults.
Smart folks.
Peeps with brains.
For those who haven't lost their marbles.
Logic-lovers.
Objective, erudite souls who understand a little about morality and anarchy.

It is absolutely brilliant and rewards with repeat viewings.
Which is why one buys a DVD in the first place.
(At least I do. I only buy movies that I know I'll watch over and over)
Did you buy the director's cut?
I haven't gotten it yet.
Do give a full review if you fancy.
I'm curious what the other 24 minutes contain...

cinemabon
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
From what I gather, most of the additional minutes have to do with adding in explict material (such as the explicit frontal nudity of the giant blue guy, his penis is clearly visible in several prolonged shots were he emerges from behind something and even prominent in a scene where he splits into three different men and says to the girl, "I thought you liked it that way." I suppose some girls would.) I understand the frontal nudity was strategically placed in the theatrical version.

In addition to adding explict violence, director Zack Snyder included additional dialogue "explanation scenes" cut from the theatrical release, such as why a character feels this way or that. Extending shots and reinserting those dialogue scenes added the 24 minutes (three hours and six minutes - the original cut of the film).

Johann
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Awesome. Thanks for that.
I'll be buying the DVD eventually but it's nice to know a little about it. My interest in Watchmen is off the charts.
Thanks again cinemabon.

cinemabon
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
What? There's more?

imdb.com reveals that the director's cut is not the be-all, end version of the film. There is still another cut with the "Black Pirate" scene included and the full animated version of the comic book in storyboard. Look for this blue-ray special edition DVD later this year.

Johann
08-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I actually heard that there was a 4-hour version in the works.
I heard that while the film was still in theatres.
Think I read it in the paper...
Whatever footage you have Mr. Zack Snyder, PUT IT OUT.
You struck platinum as far as I'm concerned with Watchmen.
He did the best job he possibly could, considering the source material.
It was actually very very brave of him (and warner brothers) to even attempt making it. He could have screwed it and his career beyond recognition.
Among serious comic book nerds, Watchmen is HOLY.
Alan Moore can hate the movie. It's his creation. He can do whatever the hell he wants. But for me, it's the Biz-ZOMB.

(Sorry for my slang).
I love every single thing about Watchmen. It's a Masterpiece.
And I'll watch it over and over and over. And over. :)

cinemabon
08-06-2009, 09:21 PM
You seemed well informed... creator Allen Moore (also V for Vendetta) had a "no film" clause written into his contract that states he will not endorse nor receive any payment from the sales or adaptation of his work. He is a purist. However, when the originator of a work as complex as his withdraws, he sacrifices the end product, which in reality relects on his name whether he is attached to the project or not, a shame.

Here is a link to a man three years my junior but who looks eighty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

Johann
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Moore is a purist.
When Zack Snyder said Worst case scenario, he'll watch it (WATCHMEN) late one night and say "You know, it's not half bad" Alan got really snarky: If he thinks that's the worst case scenario, then he's in for a rude awakening. I'm never watching that film.

He's very protective of his work, and I don't blame him.
He's the author of some of the greatest pieces of comic ART ever conceived. Read the TOP TEN series if you ever get a chance.
I love it just as much as Watchmen.
And his "The Killing Joke" with Brian Bolland is the best Joker/Batman story EVER. Tim Burton said as much..

While I totally understand Moore's purist flag-planting, I am beyond grateful for the watchmen film. Just the fact that it exists gives me such a great feeling. I think it's destined to be a cult classic for all times. And V For Vendetta is perfect cinema.
Of all of Alan Moore's works, V and Watchmen hold the most reverence among comic book geeks. And for good reason. Fucking up the big-screen adaptations was not an option.
Thank God that they turned out so kick-ass.
Thank God that they were made by directors with vision and a studio willing to take a real chance. That's why Warner Brothers will always be the best film studio in my mind.
Superman, Batman, Kubrick, Matrix trilogy, Bugs Bunny...the WB rules the earth!

Now if only they got to work on Moore's TOP TEN series for a film series...Man, what glory that would be...