PDA

View Full Version : Film Travel Diary

Chris Knipp
10-26-2009, 06:19 AM
This won't include much because I've gotten sick in Paris and am coming home early. I have seen a few interesting films and will write short comments on them here when I get the time and energy:

In London:

The Conformist (Bertolucci 1971) The famous adaptation of the Alberto Moravia Novel about a Man Without Qualities (played by Jean-Louis Trintignant and with Stefania Sandrelli and Dominique Sanda) -- seen in a beautiful print at the National Film Theatre. A bit empty perhaps, but one of the most beautiful films of its time.

Fish Tank (Adnrea Arnold 2009) Co winner of the Jury Prize at Cannes, nominated for the Golden Palm, this is a naturalistic study of a girl (remarkable newcomer Katie Jarvis) who gets in over her head with her young mom's handsome boyfriend (Michael Fassbinder). Unpretentious but very strong filmmaking.

Katalin Varga (Peter Strickland 2009) A brutal revenge tale written and directed by English newcomer Strickland and filmed in Romanian, this was the Silver Bear winner in Berlin this year. Somewhat dubious tale, but effectively stark style.

One-Zero/Wahed-Sefr (Kamla Abu Zekry 2009). Ensemble film set in conetemporary Cairo, a critical and popular success there, seen at the NFT as part of the London Film Festival. Nothing exceptional but a juicy sample of what Egypt thinks is significant filmmaking. The finale is amusing, and somewhat parallels that of Panahi's Offside.

In Paris:

A Prophet/Un prophète (Jacques Audiard 2009). This study of the in-prison formation of a future crime boss -- (Tahar Rahim's young Arab trained by Niels Arestrop's Corsican Mafioso) won the Grand Prize of the Jury at Cannes this year.

L'Affaire Farewell (Christian Carion 2009). Mediocre French spy movie set in Russia in the early '80's starring hearthrob Guillaume Canet (who helmed the good thriller Tell No One) and a leaden Emir Kusturica. Novelties include Fred Ward cast as Ronald Reagan and Willem Dafoe as the US CIA boss (a US audience would probably buy neither), with dialogue in French, Russian, and English. This was a bad choice and I have no further comments. The excellent Niels Arestrup is wasted in a routine role.

Happily Ever Afters (Stephen Burke 2009). Silly Irish comedy about a double wedding whose two couples interact, this little film redeems itself by the way it ends in comedy's classic sense of human union, and the bright, colorful cinematography is elegant.

Mademoiselle Chambon (Stephane Brize' 2009). This is a subtle study of frustrated love between Jean, a a simple, sincere French mason (Vincent Lindon) with young son and wife with another kid the way who falls for his boy's schoolteacher (Aure Atika), who plays the violin and offers Jean a taste of sensitivity his life lacks. A bit slow, but there are moments that evoke classic film traditions, and Lindon's excellence in playing the strong silent type carries the day.

La Nana/The Maid (Sebastian Silva 2009).This has a suggestion of Celina Murga's A Week Alone in its study of the oblivious Latin American upper middle class, but it's mainly the strange psychological study of a housekeeper so repressed and jealous of her status that she sabotages assistants who are brought in, till a psychologically healthy one brings her out. Authentic feeling, and a fine lead performance by Catalina Saavedra, if the ending leaves one hanging a bit. As Oscar Jubis reported in his MFF review, this was a prizewinner at Sundance and did get US distribution; more limited showings in France.

oscar jubis
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Good to hear from you Chris. I hope you get well soon. A PROPHET will be released by Sony in February 2010 in the US. IFC Films will release FISH TANK. I am a fan of Andrea Arnold and look forward to her new film. No date of release announced yet.

The best film experience I've had in the past month or so is a theatrical screening of Kubrick's 2001. I was very impressed with how this film was received by a predominantly college-age audience. My thesis and course work have limited my review writing lately but I continue to post comments and go to the movies as often as ever.

The best English-language films I have seen this month are the delicate period romance BRIGHT STAR, the lovably eccentric WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, and BIG FAN, a spot-on character study of a football fanatic on the cusp of middle-age. Some of my very favorite foreign-language films of the year: THE HEADLESS WOMAN, LIVERPOOL, THE MAID and YOU, THE LIVING got released in typically limited fashion but this is better than no
release at all.

I also enjoyed these documentaries: CRUDE, UNMISTAKEN CHILD, YOO-HOO MRS. GOLDBERG, Chris Rock's GOOD HAIR, and Ken Burns's magnicent THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA'S BEST IDEA.

Over the next couple of weeks I hope to check out: A SERIOUS MAN, NY I LOVE YOU, AMREEKA, THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX, EARTH DAYS, AN EDUCATION, PARIS and TETRO.
Tonight Jason Reitman (Thank You for Smoking, Juno) will screen his new UP IN THE AIR and do Q&A afterwards. There is a strong positive buzz about Mr. Clooney's performance in this film.

Chris Knipp
10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks, I hope to be better too, and it'll be good to be home this time. Glad you liked Bright Star, as did I, very much. Have not seen Wild Things, though it is here in Paris or coming soon. The Maid is showing here too in a special theater, and Liverpool opens here Wed., and I may go if able. You'll be catching up on me with me on some of those new titles and getting ahead on several. I wanted to see Up in the Air in London but it was only at one cinema. Clooney got a rave there.

Kubrick's 2001 is a masterpiece and will always be greeted with excitement with new audiences, I am sure.

I saw Amreeka but did not review. The others you know if I've seen if you look at my website.

Chris Knipp
10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I've added a couple more brief Paris review; see above.

Definitely Fish Tank and A Prophet are the most notable titles in my Travel Journal list, with The Maid and Mademoiselle Chambon also worthy of consideration.

Michuk
10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
A Prophet/Un prophete just won the London Film Festival. My little post with the highlights here: London Film Festival 2009 - Filmaster Awards (http://michuk.filmaster.com/review/london-film-festival-2009-filmaster-awards/). I missed it on the festival though. I chose to see Herzog's Bad Liueutenant remake on my last day of the festival instead of the winner and I don't regret as it was a masterpiece (first film with Nicolas Cage in years which I truly enjoyed).

Fish Tank was amazing as well, one of my few favorites this year. "Life's a bitch and then you die" -- a great little movie about growing up. And about teenage rebel with a cause. And about the simple fact that family is important. I though of Mia a a neighbor of the pals from Somers Town. Or perhaps she's the daughter of Randy from The Wrestler? Well, just watch it if you can to see how you should be making movies when you have a ridiculous budget and a home-use digital camera.

Chris, I really wish we have met in London. First I got sick and then you were fully booked. And now you got sick in Paris -- what a fatum! I guess we'll have to wait till next time you visit Europe...

Chris Knipp
10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm sorry too, about our missing each other and both getting sick, though I don't regret bailing out of my trip and missing Italy, because I did plenty in those six weeks. I agree with you on Fish Tank, and I like your connecting Mia to the boys from Somers Town or Randy's daughter. Where I stayid this time in London was near St. Pancras Station and I left from there on the EuroStar for Paris. But I don't think that was a home-use digital camera they used for Fish Tank, if that's what you're saying. Leslie Felperin's review of the movie in Variety (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940250.html?categoryid=31&cs=1) notes the cinematography is suaver than the rest:
Elsewhere, the pic's fine-grained detailing -- from the totally naturalistic way the characters talk here (steeped in obscenity) to the production design and the musical choices -- bolsters the sense of utter authenticity. Less naturalistic is the decision to lense (executed immaculately by Robbie Ryan) in what looks like Academy ratio, with film instead of digital stock. But although this is a little jarring at first, it makes a kind of emotional sense given the story's claustrophobic atmosphere.

I will give a careful look at your reports on the LFF films you saw in the days to come when I start getting rested up and get over my cough and adjust to losing or gaining nine hours, whichever it is. You might say I gained them, but I feel I lost them. But I had a great flight back. I never went all the way from Europe to the West Coast in one non-stop flight. (I usually stop over on the East Coast.) It was nice and easy and I had an interesting Russian couple from Palo Alto next to me (hi, Ken and Nathalie!) and we talked about Nabokov and classical pianists and many other things for hours and the time flew by.

Will check into Bad Lieutenant remake release schedule.

Michuk
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
It certainly had a feel of a cheap digital camera, but the Variety reviewer is probably right, it might have been done on purpose. I know close to anothing about the technical aspects of making movies so I might be totally wrong.

Chris Knipp
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Given how celebrated the cinematography in this film has been for its beauty I'd drop the cheap-camera analogy, nor would I equate Robbie Ryan's prizewinning camera work to home digital. The images are extremely sharp, though there is also some handheld camera work; whether that's digital or film I don't know, but the images are surprisingly clear and beautiful for such a nitty-gritty subject. Variety is usually reliable on technical information. The clarity struck me from the start and at many points.