PDA

View Full Version : Eiko Ishioka

Johann
10-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I've lived in Toronto for exactly two years now and I've found a lot of items. Money, TTC tokens, joints (yes- whole rolled joints- those silly and scared tourists!) but by far the greatest item I've found is a first edition (1983) hardcover book (in near-mint shape no less) of EIKO BY EIKO.

It's a self-made career-to-date-book by Eiko Ishioka, Japan's most famous designer.
I picked it up and looked immediately at the cover photo, thinking it looked Kubrickian. It was an unrecognizable Faye Dunaway posing in Japanese garb with two of Eiko's nieces.
When I started flipping through it I was blown away.
Here is someone who knocks my socks off with her media designs and film costumes and poster designs.
There is a giant gatefold with 2 different posters that she designed for APOCALYPSE NOW. Jaw-dropping how awesome those two painted posters are. One is the armada of helicopters advancing over the beach while a soldier surfs and another is one of Brando, looking off into space, with those napalm clouds billowing behind him. Just awesome. (I've subsequently looked her up, and she did the costumes for MISHIMA, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA and Tarsem's two Masterpieces, THE CELL and THE FALL).

She also was the first to curate an exhibition for Leni Riefenstahl for her NUBA tribe work- also with frameable posters! Leni has comments about Eiko too. Everybody in the book does, pretty much.
I am still blown away that I just *found* this book. It weighs almost 10 pounds. Who would just leave it lying in a park?

Akira Kurosawa is one of many who write essays on her in the book. He calls her a "Comrade", that he has a deep bond with Eiko.
Why in the hell have I never heard of this woman!?!?!?
She's a Genius Artist. The book is chock full of her work- magazine covers, Miles Davis album covers (and others), ads, film stills, the whole gamut!

The book is a first edition from when it came out in 1983, printed and bound in Japan.
It's the first "coffee table book" I own, and it was totally free. I'm a blessed man.

Chris Knipp
10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Johan, I know this book. It's a beautiful book. I don't have a copy but I did peruse it back when it was published. Eiko certainly is a unique and elegant designer and at the same time so very Japanese. And she certainly made a distinctive contribution to THE CELL and even more to THE FALL. I was very aware of her designs for THE FALL because it's so striking and exquisite, and the most striking costumes show her stamp. So I was ahead of you there, but you're ahead in having the book. How many doobies would you trade for it?

Johann
10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks Chris. No trading of doobage for this.
When I saw those Apocalypse Now posters my jaw dropped. I may take them out and frame them- we'll see if I want to damage a first edition.
And then seeing Kurosawa wrote an essay...and then Riefenstahl..I was just stunned that I didn't know this woman.
Subconsciously I knew her work in some films, but I didn't know her name or who she was. I should have known her from those costumes in Coppola's Dracula and THE CELL but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.
I love discovering such things.

Her style is unique and fascinating, to say the least. She uses erotica, bold colors and striking designs that really grab your peepers.
I'm in love with her now, actually. I wish I could meet her. She's a Revolutionary. I learned quite a bit about Japan from the book, which I've been reading/perusing ever since I got it. Losing WWII put Japan into an identity crisis, a "black hole" that they've been trying to reconcile with nods to the West.
I've gotta see Paul Schrader's Mishima now.
She also did designs for Cirque du Soleil and is now working on a Spiderman project.
EVERYBODY should know who this woman is and celebrate her achievements.
She's a wonderful Artist who's "stance is firm" according to Kurosawa.

Chris Knipp
10-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Did you know she designed the Canadian Olympic speed skating outfits? 2002, that is.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6070/eikocanadianspeedskatin.jpg

Story here. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3079010)

Johann
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I did not know that. Very cool.

Johann
11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Speaking of the Great Tarsem, I just found out that he'll be making his version of Snow White.
Shooting is to begin in the spring of 2011, with a release set for 2012.
My mind is conjuring images of what he'll do with it...
And he's in post-production on "IMMORTALS" right now.
I always look forward to that man's films.

Directors like Tarsem and Julie Taymor are a rare breed.
Never take thier work for granted.
It's cinematic Art that aims for a certain immortality.
And who's against that?