PDA

View Full Version : Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky 2010)

Chris Knipp
12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Darren Aronofsky: BLACK SWAN (2010)
Review by Chris Knipp

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/2974/WSaHZo.gif
NATALIE PORTMAN IN BLACK SWAN

Dancing with doppelgängers

Darren Aronofsky has never done anything by halves as a director. So now he has turned to ballet, and made a beautiful, absurdly lurid bad dream of a movie that ramps up all the clichés of the tormented dancer. There's the masochism, the paranoid competitiveness, the frustrated stage mother, the cruel, exploitative ballet master, the jealous underlings, the anorexia, the former star (Winona Rider!) who's plowed under to make way for the new one, and the triumphant debut that destroys its protagonist.

As if all this were not enough, in Black Swan Aronofsky robs his lead of any ability to distinguish reality from fantasy, provides her with an excess of doppelgängers (at least three of them), and makes her involvement in the narrative of a particular ballet, Swan Lake, so deep and unbalanced that it effaces her already wobbly sense of self. Anybody's saner instincts are so ruthlessly violated by all this that the first two thirds of the movie are an agony to watch. And yet so great is Aronofsky's conviction, foolhardy boldness, and desire to shine, so skillful is his use of the throbbing strains of Tchaikovsky, so ugly-beautiful are the jerky hand-held images he splices together to tell his giddy story, so intense is the dedication of his star/victim, Natalie Portman (as the insecure prima ballerina, Nina Sayers), so slick and confident is Vincent Cassel as the macho director of the company, so glittering are the dance performance sequences, that the finale feels breathtaking, and you wish you could forget all the violations of taste and logic that lead up to it. Black Swan is some kind of kitsch masterpiece. It feeds off half a dozen better films, and blends in several dozen worse ones, and the result is, in spite of you, a pretty intense watch.

Insofar as you can watch. There is a strain of self abuse (in both senses) that's repulsive, nauseating, and redundant. Nina used to scratch herself. She still does, actually. Thomas Leroy (Cassel) is staging a season of ballet "classics" in bold new reimaginings; the exteriors make this Lincoln Center. His new Swan Lake, he ominously announces, will be more "visceral and real" than the standard one. (The horror movie clichés spin out from that hoary idea of a fiction that gets too real.) He's considering Nina for the starring role. The ballet requires the lead to dance two parts, the White Swan and the Black Swan. The prince falls for the White Swan, but then falls for the black one, not knowing she's different. This leads the White Swan to suicide. Leroy constantly goads Nina, saying she's too prim, too contained, too "perfect." She's fine for the role of the White Swan, he says, but when it comes to the wilder, freer, more dangerous Black Swan, she hasn't got what it takes.

Black Swan owes an obvious debt to the nightmare vision of Dario Argento. His 1977 Suspiria is about a young American dancer who comes to a European ballet company, and only later learns that it's only a cover for something much more sinister -- the staff of the school are actually a coven of witches bent on chaos and destruction. Well, Nina is a coven of witches unto herself. She's working on her own destruction. She scratches her back till it shows red welts. She dances till her toe bleeds. She pulls at her fingernails and they bleed. She imagines dangers and threats that aren't there. She has no life outside of dancing, won't even take a drink or eat a piece of cake, may be a virgin, and seems to have a feeble hold on reality. This is a prima ballerina? Only in a horror movie, or an overwrought psycho-thriller with a horror-movie heart. In real life the job calls for talent, discipline, and hard work. But Aronofsky's topic isn't self-discipline, it's self-destruction. The ballet is just window dressing.

Nina's competition comes in the form of Lily (Mila Kunis), a dancer who arrives from San Francisco and whom Leroy likes. She has a dark beauty and a natural, relaxed manner that suggest she has the Black Swan qualities Leroy keeps saying Nina lacks. But does she exist? Or is she Nina's dark side? Or is she really Nina's healthier side? She's two-sided, anyway, half the time being friendly and supportive and half the time a predatory trickster ready to step in and grab the lead role away from Nina. Leroy makes her the back-up dancer, though Nina begs him to pick somebody else.

Lily may not exist. It's easy enough to assume Leroy doesn't exist either: his lines are so often laughable. And vulgar. Never has the F-word been used so often in a ballet movie. The crude talk takes this down a peg from its pretension of being about dedicated art. The hetero sex is crude backroom near-rape. Leroy commands Nina to go home and masturbate --- "live a little." She complies, but is cut short with a jolt when she sees, or imagines, her mother sitting in a chair watching. There is also a drug-taking scene, a red-and-blue psychedelic dance-club scene, and, for good measure, a lesbian sex scene. These offer titillation -- and a little variety. The movie harps on its shticks so much it's mostly repetition. It also undercuts its climax, which is a shocker till you think about it and wonder if it too might not just be Nina's fantasy. Maybe she didn't make it to the theater that night and is in her Upper West Side apartment with her mother. Unfortunately Black Swan provides no baseline reality to set off the delusions.

The film jumps, repetitively, and with a purposely dreamlike suddenness, between its few locations -- from dressing room to practice floor to subway to the cozy yet cloying apartment Nina shares with her passive-aggressive former dancer mother, Erica (Barbara Hershey), an aging double whose support, as is standard for the stage mother, ultimately only undermines Nina's confidence, which seems nonexistent anyway. One of the primary flaws of this unreal story is the way it fails to establish Nina's credentials as a dancer, her history, her success among rivals. Part of the problem is the uneasy situation of using an amateur dancer (Portman) to play a professional one, even performing her dances. Portman is totally committed, but we can only guess what kind of movie this might have been if the dancing had been better served in the staging and the cinematography and the dancers had had something more in common with members of actual ballet companies instead of being pure figments of Aronofsky's fevered imagination.

Black Swan has thrills, intensity, the dedication of its star. It has a fanatical devotion to its excessive, overwrought, repetitive, clichéd themes. Because of those elements, part of the time, it works. But it also repels, and I laughed out loud a lot, and I wasn't supposed to. Aronofsky is manipulative and abusive toward his characters (Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, now this). Especially in this rather weak year, this movie is a must-see. But it distorts and cheapens both classical ballet itself and the world of ballet dancing, and that's a big price to pay for some shock and awe.

tabuno
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I was geniunely capitivated through out this movie with the psychological density of this thrilling and emotionally absorbing movie. As a social worker, the emotional doppleganger was superb in its suggestive motiff and the movie came off as a mature and sophisticated David Lynch movie. Unlike the sustained action-packed thriller ride of INCEPTION (2010) which came in second on my best movie list and only really started its descent to amazing in the last two-thirds of the movie, BLACK SWAN was able to sustain the same intensity from beginning to end. There is something special in this every-woman presentation of the deep inhibitions and the longing to break out and live that perhaps many (if not all) women in American culture have been tortured with in living out their lives. I can understand Chris's problem with Natalie Portman's climb to lead ballerina and I did have some problems with it, but overall, I found this discrepancy minor in comparison to the underlying emotional and intellectual mind-games that the audience is exposed to from Natalie Portman's character. Chris has taken and experienced this movie as a black and white, absolute extreme of parodies and cliches, but for me I experienced this movie as more gray and authentically real, capturing the essence of our subconscious fears and how we actually sometimes live our lives in the brilliant light and dark.

Chris Knipp
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
BLACK SWAN has generally been rated a good deal higher than I rate it. A. O. Scott of the NYTimes in an Oscar feature including Colin Firth for THE KING'S SPEECH, Christian Bale for THE FIGHTER, writes an essay (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/movies/awardsseason/02scot.html?ref=awardsseason)praising Natalie Portman and explaining how he thingk BLACK SWAN should be understood -- primarily as a horror movie. I'll provide the link to this.

The main film critics of the NYTimes give their best lists, (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?2873-BEST-MOVIES-OF-2010-so-far&p=25502#post25502) but I'll put that on the Best So Far thread.

oscar jubis
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I think it is remarkable how Black Swan doggedly assumes the perspective of Nina, whose pursuit of the "perfect" artistic zenith is accompanied by a descent into madness. The approach can be as claustrophobic as Polanski's magnificent Repulsion. There is a strong element of psychological horror in the film. Like Carrie, Nina is being infantilized by her dominant, castrating Mother, so that her personality has split into white and black sides. The arc of the narrative is the tragic struggle of the dark side to find expression and acknowledgment. The terror is psychologically motivated but its presentation recalls the body-horror of the films of David Cronenberg. Nina's body undergoes a via dolorosa culminating in the sacrifice of her life at the altar of Art; the indissoluble marriage of destruction and creation; the perpetually binding contract between life and death. Black Swan might give the illusion, at times, of being a backstage drama like The Turning Point or The Red Shoes. It is actually closer to an older source: the phantasmagorical world of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, in which the lead ballerina is under a spell that has given her a dual identity as human and swan.

I notice that the film has won a number of awards and might win a few more. Darren Aronofsky has clearly restored his reputation since the long-gestating disappointment of The Fountain with last year's The Wrestler and the more characteristically flashy Black Swan.. Natalie Portman delivered her breakthrough performance in Mike Nichols' adaptation of Patrick Marber's Closer (2004). Here, she carries the whole film on her narrow but strong shoulders. This is a film that achieves its aspirations. Black Swan sinks or swims based on the relative merit of its ambitions and terms of engagement not on the basis of its execution, which is, well, "perfect".

Chris Knipp
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Glad you checked in on this, Oscar, because BLACK SWAN obviously is a good film to debate.

As I waited to go in to watch SHOAH, Second Era, I heard someone talking about a PBS call-in discussion of BLACK SWAN where dancers pointed out how full of stereotypes and misogyny it is. Others have found it to be a ballet movie that contains too little ballet. There is a lot of talent here and a dedicated performance by Portman and slick one by Cassell et al. but you have to overlook a lot of absurdity to appreciate BLACK SWAN, and there are questions about whether it fulfills Arronofsky's earlier promise or simply shows his limitations are not going away. Does this fulfill Portman's promise shown in CLOSER or is it just another pretentious misfire for her like THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL or MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS or BROTHERS, when she may be better of sticking to relaxed, silly movies like the upcoming NO STRINGS ATTACHED or pop entertainments like YOUR HIGHNESS or THOR (also coming)?

I guess you saw SHOAH long ago. I never did. Just finished the two parts last night and today and am shattered. A powerful, hypnotic film that you can't shake off.

oscar jubis
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes, I watched Shoah when it was initially distributed, with a primarily Jewish audience. I am glad you and others who missed it then have a chance to watch it in a theater during this re-release. I notice you review the film in a different thread.

It would be great if those who watched Black Swan expecting an objective, realistic depiction of the world of ballet would seek out Fred Wiseman's detailed, revelatory La Danse-Le ballet de l'Opera de Paris (2009).

Chris Knipp
01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I heartily endorse the pithy condemnation (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b20357b6-23f0-11e0-bef0-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1BnCTQCtQ) of BLACK SWAN by Nigel Andrews, the film critic of the Financial Times:

"The film is lurid, melodramatic, over-the-top – and currently a hot awards favourite. Aronofsky must have hypnotic powers over jurors and voters. He won the Venice Golden Lion for the equally overwrought The Wrestler. If Black Swan is watchable, it is the watchability of a car crash. The same feeling of “no, it can’t be happening” colours the spectacle of La Portman running her gaudy gauntlet of nightmares: hallucinations, intrigue, bloodshed; at one point real feathers growing from her flesh. Will the Tchaikovsky role prove her cygnet tune or her swan song? Can you bear to look, or not to look? Have you the self-discipline to look away, even to leave, even to save your soul – you really should – by finding another, better movie? 2 star rating."

Andrews has very favorable things to say (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/07970ed2-1e76-11e0-87d2-00144feab49a.html#axzz1BnBntYyF)about BLUE VALENTINE, by the way.

tabuno
01-23-2011, 12:54 AM
The last decade has seen a number of emotionally powerful resonating movies that captures the essence of our emotional lives as human beings and it seems that the Financial Times is heartless and soulless with its inability to experience with empathy the harshness of our lives as the Great Recession has rip the guts and security and peace from millions in America and around the world.

ATONEMENT (2007)
THE READER (2008)
THE ASSASSINATION OF JESS JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD (2007)
INCEPTION (2010)
HE WAS A QUIET MAN (2007)
LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003)
HOUSE OF MIRTH (2000)
MOULIN ROUGE (2001)
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA (2005)
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (2008)
THE COOLER (2003)
THE AVIATOR (2004)
CHANGLING (2008)
SHOPGIRL (2005)
APOCALYPTO (2006)
THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (2006)
THE LOVELY BONES (2009)
THE WRESTLER (2008)

To impose on mental illness the clique stereotype of "lurid, melmodramatic, over-the-top," one need only watch the captivating and perhaps real intensity in A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001). For Financial Times' attempt at criticism only reveals the lack of understanding and awarness of what really lies beneath the innerworkings of the human mind and nightmares.

Chris Knipp
03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm copying Johann's 24 March 2014 comment on THE BLADK SWAN here because he didn't find the thread.

THE BLACK SWAN (Darren Aronofsky)
The search feature on this site doesn't work right now, so I figured I would start a new thread on a somewhat older release.

I finally got around to seeing THE BLACK SWAN on DVD, and I was blown away.
What a fantastic film!
This is the kind of cinema I look for. The cinematography is stunning, and I never thought I'd be excited or even interested in a movie depicting ballet dancers but here we are. I was totally blown away.
Natalie Portman delivers the best performance I've ever seen her do. She is Dynamite here. Mila Kunis also holds her own.
The dynamics (real and imagined) of Natalie's portrayal of a white AND black swan in a stage production of "Swan Lake" are fascinating and riveting.

What more do you want in a movie?
This one has EDGE, DRAMA, INTENSITY and BEAUTY.
Buy it on DVD. It belongs on your DVD shelf.

As you'll see, opinions differ on this film, which did well at Oscar time as I recall. By the way, what has happened to TABUNO lately?

Since BLACK SWAN I"ve come to like Natalie Portman. She was so appealing in THOR I became a fan.

Johann
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Aronofsky goes where no other directors go. He is fearless. And an artist.

This is one film you either love or hate. I love it.
His newest film is NOAH, sure to wag some tongues.
He built the ARK to scale. The Church is angry. When are they not?
Fuck 'em. If Gods' scribes had the talent to write, then they wish they had the talent to make movies.
To me people like Darren Aronofsky are fine to fill in for Christians with zero talent.

Chris Knipp
03-24-2014, 04:46 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/713/dzdh.jpg

Now we need an Aronofsky's NOAH thread.

NOAH (Darren Aronofsky). AFTER BLACK SWAN THE DELUGE. I looks like the more unsophisticated branch of the Christian audience made the recent, B-quality SON OF GOD a financial success. Since Aronofsky's NOAH cost a lot of money the studio wanted to cash in on that audience to make the outlay back. They tried what they thought a "Christian-friendly cut" (and one of the studio's big bosses is an ardent Chrstian involved in this recut), and Aronofsky agreed to giving the studio final cut in exchange for a big hike in his paycheck. But his version did better than the "Christian-friendly" one, so his version is the one that will hit the theaters. A recent GUARDIAN (http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/13/darren-aronofsky) piece explains this. "Christian-friendly" included cutting out Noah getting drunk after the flood was over (which is in the Bible, but people forget) and his being "conflicted."

You may like looking at a piece on NOAH and Aronofsky in THE NEW YORKER (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/17/140317fa_fact_friend") though I found it a bit promotional and didn't finish it. It depicts a grumpy early morning Russell Crowe on a very cold day being asked to get dowsed with water to redo a shot he'd already done on a warmer day.

P.s. As for BLACK SWAN I guess you do either love or hate it and in those terms I fit firmly into the hate category -- somewhat unusual for me. This time I was also franker about my dislike than I might have been because I found I was speaking for plenty of others.

Johann
03-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Why the hate? Is the subject matter too disturbing?

I found Vincent Cassel to be effective, in that I couldn't stand his character. What a Schmuck.
He tells Nina to "go home and touch herself" one day at ballet practice. She goes home and does just that. Did we need to see that scene?
People who want Natalie Portman in the sack would say "DUH! Hell Yeah that scene was needed!"
I love the cinema of The Black Swan. Ace cinematography with a really serious documentary feel.