PDA

View Full Version : The Small Season in a big way

cinemabon
01-14-2012, 12:14 PM
We've had many cycles in film where epic films, such as Ben Hur, The Godfather, Titanic, or Lord of the Rings succeed in sweeping the Oscars with their grand scale and majesty. Then there are the small films, low budgets whose magic enlightens the mind with wise words and great performances. I believe we are in a cycle of the later.

Take last year's film, "The King's Speech," is basically the story of two men told on a very personal scale. I believe the winner of this year's Oscar for Best Picture will likewise be from this caliber. Although you have "Hugo" which is Scorsese's homage to film's origins, the landscape is dotted with films from much smaller budgets (ruling out "The girl with the dragon tattoo" and its $100 million dollar budget and "War Horse" an epic film by any standard): The descendants, The help, The Tree of Life, The ides of March, Shame, The Artist, and My week with Marylin - all movies told on a small down to earth personal scale, bereft of big budgets and casts of thousands.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has been going through some major changes in the past few years. The last of the so-called Golden Age stars and technicians have passed on to a younger, hipper, and smarter generation of filmmakers, eager to bring small voices of social conscience to the big screen in much the way filmmakers did back in the 1930's when sound arrived and gave writers a voice through actors.

My prediction? Films with strong powerful performances on a small scale to win in a big way. The big losers? Films that tried to throw a lot of money at the screen and failed to connect with audiences.

The first hint? Tomorrow night at the Golden Globes... I think the foreign press will give hints as to where Oscar will lean this year.

cinemabon
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
What a night! Those who really deserved awards, won them last night. I was especially pleased to see Clooney and Michelle Williams receive their Golden Globes. The scene stealer last night was the producer of "The Artist," whose father had won an Academy Award in the 1960's for a short film but was unable to attend the ceremony due to lack of funds. Except for Ricky's terrible job as Master of Ceremony's (which I believe the Foreign Press Association counted on for viewership), I thought it was a great evening, where many craftspersons, including Marty Scorsese, deservedly won for their film work.

Johann
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I enjoyed the show, for the most part. Gervais was great in my opinion. I love that guy.

Scorsese won Best Director, Michelle Williams won, Morgan Freeman got a GREAT tribute (introduced by Helen Mirren and the Legendary Mr. Tibbs) and of course Claude Berri's son with his moving speech.

Johann
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
It was nice to see Claire Danes win too- one of the first things I did after leaving the Army in 1996 was to write to her.
I loved her in Romeo & Juliet- saw it 5 times in '96- and she wrote back, sending me a beautiful postcard with her luminous visage on it.
She's REAL.
I wish I still had that postcard. :(
It got lost in the shuffle...

Alexander Payne may be a big winner on Oscar night. George Clooney may win big too. I felt diCaprio deserved it more, tho.
The Artist will pick up some gold too, if last night was any indication.
The Adventures of TINTIN won Best Animated Film, and deservedly so.
It should be a lock to win the Oscar. It definitely deserves any and all awards.

Why were people sneering at the French? weird.
I like the gaffes and humour that the show had. Nice to see celebs not be so uppity. Considering the world at large, there's no need to be an arrogant film bigwig. Just dig in your heels and ENTERTAIN, which is what you are skilled at.

Gervais had a cool looking suit- I really dug that red blazer he had on.
And Johnny Depp can dress like a motherfucker. Man, did you see his wardrobe??
That man oozes art and style.
Reese Witherspoon looked yummy too.
Madonna looked old and acted pretty arrogantly. She doesn't belong in Hollywood in my opinion. Oliver Stone taught me that. He was going to direct EVITA back in the day and she just became an impossible bitch to work with. He walked away from it in disgust.