PDA

View Full Version : James Cagney- greatest actor ever?

Johann
12-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Over the past 3 years I've been knocking off Cagney films one by one. As soon as the movies' over I think to myself: "That was the greatest performance I've ever seen by an actor". IN EVERY FILM!

I'm gonna go on record as saying Cagney is the greatest actor in the history of film (so far). Just watch Yankee Doodle Dandy or One Two Three and you'll see what I mean. The man was a stone genius. A dancing virtuoso, a master of timing, and a charisma that would win anybody over, Cagney rules my planet hollywood.

I know Brando, Laughton, Olivier, Gielgud, Wayne, Nicholson and others are masters of their craft, but Jimmy? Damn.

dave durbin
02-14-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm happy to hear you love Cagney! I've been a fan for some time and have always felt he's never really been given his full due -like Richard Widmark- and his work in films can easily blow away any actor we have now. The major films are obviously the most talked about but have you seen The Bride Came COD or Man of 1000 Faces? He's fantastic in even his final film Ragtime when he says "You're a worthless piece of slime." Cheers to Jimmy!

FilmWolf
02-15-2003, 11:17 AM
I've been a long-time fan of Cagney as well, and you must admit that he had a unusually wide-ranging body of work when compared to some of the other stars of the 30's and 40's, from his classic gangster roles ("The Roaring 20's", "Public Enemy"), his prison films ("Each Dawn I Die"), adventure pics ("The Torrid Zone"), comedies ("Mr. Roberts", "1-2-3"), westerns, musicals and even taking a crack at a Shakespearean role ("A Midsummer Night's Dream").

And it's a pleasure to note that unlike some of the classic film stars who finished their careers with less-than memorable films (anyone remember Cary Grant in "Run, Don't Walk"?...I didn't think so..) Cagney's cinematic swan-song in Milos Forman's "Ragtime" gave him one final chance to show us all what a gifted actor he was. Like some old lion, Cagney gave gave the part of Rhinelander Waldo an air of authority, while at the same time making us think, "Y'know, I'll bet that guy could STILL kick some butt in a fight"...

God Bless Ya, Jimmy!!

Johann
05-17-2003, 04:58 AM
I second both your opinions...

FilmWolf
06-07-2003, 11:10 PM
I enjoyed watching the recent American Film Institute broadcast about the movies' "50 Greatest Heroes & Villains" and was happy to see that Cagney placed twice in the "villain" category, for his roles in "Public Enemy" and "White Heat".

FW

sanjuro
03-20-2004, 10:56 AM
I love Cagney... though greatest ever might be a bit too much for my tastes. He certainly shows more range than star-actors today. For my money, his performance in One, Two, Three is one of the funniest things ever filmed.

Johann
03-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Who is your vote for greatest actor ever?

I like these guys for their chameleon-like abilities:

Peter Sellers
Alec Guinness
Ben Kingsley
Jon Voight
Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Daniel Day-Lewis
Val Kilmer
Geoffry Rush
Alfred Molina

JustaFied
03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
I'd have to go with Ben Kingsley from your list. The range of his work has been unbelievable - think Gandhi to Sexy Beast to House of Sand and Fog, just to name a few.

Sean Penn's making his mark, and he's still young. Same with DD Lewis.

Brando, especially early work, should be considered.

And then there's the over-the-top charisma trio of Nicholson, Pacino, and DeNiro. Earlier work better than latter, in my opinion. Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces and The Last Detail is tough to beat.

Johann
03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
The 2 Nicholson flicks you mention are indeed showcases for Jack.

The Last Detail scene:

Buddusky: Take a poke at me!
Meadows: I don't want to.
Buddusky: Come on! Take a fucking poke at me!
Meadows: No- I like you.
Buddusky: I'm taking you to JAIL, MOTHERFUCKER!

sanjuro
03-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Johann
Who is your vote for greatest actor ever?

I like these guys for their chameleon-like abilities:

Peter Sellers
Alec Guinness
Ben Kingsley
Jon Voight
Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Daniel Day-Lewis
Val Kilmer
Geoffry Rush
Alfred Molina

From this list, I have to go with Alec Guinness. The man was the proverbial acting genius - films like The Ladykillers established his ability to play comic roles; Fagan in Lean's Oliver Twist revealed a dark sinister side. The man could do no wrong- until Star Wars

JustaFied
03-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Johann

Buddusky: Take a poke at me!
Meadows: I don't want to.
Buddusky: Come on! Take a fucking poke at me!
Meadows: No- I like you.
Buddusky: I'm taking you to JAIL, MOTHERFUCKER!

Funny stuff, Johann. That Randy Quaid sure could play the dope. He needed a strong kick in the ass, that's for sure.

Another nominee for best actor: Gene Hackman. Underrated, in my opinion. I recently watched "The Conversation" again, which is also underrated.

pmw
03-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Val used to be a favorite of mine, but then I saw him in At First Sight and more recently, Spartan, and I changed my tune... He seems to be the most hit and miss guy ever. Of course, Real Genius is brilliant and Kilmer makes the movie. Maybe he's just better at brash youngsters than he is at blind men or CIA operatives...

From the above list, I'd go with Peter Sellers but I don't see Johnny Depp on there and he stands out for me at the moment.
He's amazing.

P

Johann
03-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Kilmer's career has been one of the most erratic of any actor's.

I agree he can be spotty, but that doesn't mean he ain't a chameleon. The Saint/Tombstone/The Doors/Thunderheart/Heat -all examples of his ability to dive into a role.

I haven't seen At First Sight, I hated Batman Forever-
that was an insult to the character. But I don't blame Val, Jim or Nicole. I blame shmuck Shumacher. He turned Gotham City into a neon circus.
I did like Red Planet. It was way better than that other Mars piece of shit DePalma tried to sell us. They fixed the damn spaceship with Dr. Pepper! Jerry O'Connell should be brought behind the barn. I'm amazed you get work, Jerry.

As for Depp, he's not a chameleon so much as a virtuoso. He only disappeared in a handful of roles (Ed Wood/Fear and Loathing/Edward Scissorhands) Johnny's still Johnny in most of his parts. And I'm not knockin' him- he is one of the best. Just not a chameleon. I mean Sean Penn had me completely fooled in Carlito's Way-never knew it was him untill I saw the credits. Anybody who can do that is a freakin' CHAMELEON.

oscar jubis
03-25-2004, 12:51 AM
I found several faves on your lists: Brando, Cagney, Olivier, Nicholson, Sellers, Day-Lewis, De Niro, Penn.I like these 11 just as much:

Charlie Chaplin
Jean Gabin
Edward G. Robinson
Humphrey Bogart
Orson Welles
Montgomery Clift
Jimmy Stewart
Max Von Sydow
Dustin Hoffman
Gerard Depardieu
Harvey Keitel

There are quite a few others. I find Rudolph Valentino, James Mason, Toshiro Mifune, Errol Flynn and John Malkovich to be most charismatic and magnetic. I also happen to love Jerry Lewis. I know y'all don't.

wpqx
08-01-2004, 02:55 AM
Back to Cagney
I always put him neck and neck with another Warner Bros. contract player, Humphrey Bogart. If forced to pick between the two, I would have to say Cagney. My reasoning is simple. Both men were great actors, but Cagney did have more versatility. That isn't the reason I would pick him though. The reason is because the two starred together in at least three films. Each time Bogart played the heel and Cagney gave him what he had coming. For this reason I learned to be on Cagney's side and when they face each other in an acting showdown, Jimmy is the man.
By the way the three films are:
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
The Oklahoma Kid (1939)

If there are others forgive me, but it is nearly 3:00 am and I should be asleep.

oscar jubis
08-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Finally caught on with Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three in which Cagney plays a Coca Cola Co. executive stationed in Berlin just before the Wall went up. Released in 1961. Cagney's comedic talent still in full bloom. Film was mentioned by FilmWolf. I wonder whether Johann and wp have seen it.

wpqx
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
FYI I have seen One, Two, Three. I enjoyed it, as I do most Billy Wilder movies, but it isn't exactly in my favorites. As for my favorite Cagney performances.
1. Yankee Doodle Dandy
2. White Heat
3. The Public Enemy
4. Angels With Dirty Faces
5. A Midsummer Nights Dream (A highly flawed film, but he is the best thing about it)

also worth a mention is Footlight Parade, one of Warner Bros. better musicals. I am also yet to discover another Cagney-Bogie picture, the three already mentioned seem to be it.

Johann
08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Yes, I've seen One, Two, Three- I mentioned it early in this thread. The rapid-fire line delivery is a joy to watch.

My picks for Cagney's best films are the same as wpqx's.
White Heat is electrifying. "Top of the World, Ma!!"