PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!List of favorite films...

Kurinai
12-20-2002, 12:50 PM
These are not in any particular order, just list of films I love to watch again and again.

Murnay: Nosferatu
Wiene: Das Kabinett des Doctor Galigari
Tarkovski: Solaris, Mirror, Stalker
Proyas: Crow, Dark city
Solondz: Happiness
Lynch: Eraserhead, Grandmother, Elephantman, Blue velvet, Straight story and Twin peaks series
Miike: Audition, Dead or alive, City of lost souls, Ichi the killer, Visitor q
Tanaka: Dark waters, Ring
Kurosawa: Seven samurais, Kagemusha, Yojimbo
Powell: Peeping Tom
Argento: Opera
Browning: Freaks
Everything from Cronenberg

Happy to recive comments and such...

Johann
12-21-2002, 04:27 AM
Some great titles there, K-man.

I haven't seen Opera. Sounds good,tho. I love Argento (Suspira has incredible color)

Happiness I like to watch once a month. (something about that pedophile's wife that drives me nuts) Peeping Tom is a classic, nuff said about Kurosawa, and Caligari is just awesome. Can't fault ya for your choices...

Kurinai
12-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Opera is great, although I am not quite sure that the ending it has is the best possible one, but a great film none of the less. What do you think about Argento in general? I love his early work, but his new films are quite bad. I think his biggest mistake is letting his daughter act. She is a horrible actress.
I love Happiness, but have you seen Storytelling?? Whatīs up with that? It was a very poor film. Didnīt like one bit.
I am getting familiar with french director Gaspar Noe. I think his movies are awesome. Especially Irreversible. Worth checking.
Happy holidays.

Johann
12-25-2002, 01:51 AM
While I admire, ultimately I can take Argento or leave him.
His films are unique and fill a void that was bound to appear, but
I have to make an effort to put one of his films in the VCR- however he's not as difficult as Fulci- a whole other ballgame.
I like to respect/love these guys from a distance....

As for Storytelling, I was dying to see it at the theatre, but just couldn't get there. And after Ebert raved about seeing it 3 TIMES, well, yeah, I just gotta see it. Actually I was going to buy the DVD sight unseen (I rarely do that- the last time I did that was on a friend's recommendation for "Blair Witch"-NEVER again) because I love Solondz' blunt cinema.

Ilker81x
11-14-2003, 10:30 AM
I can agree about Murnau, Proyas, espeically Lynch and Miike, Tanaka, Kurosawa, and Argento. Cronenberg has been hit-or-miss for me though, I didn't like "Crash." It seemed better as a book than as a movie. Just my opinion though, he is a good director. Good choices throughout.

oscar jubis
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm impressed with Kurinai's inclusion of a personal favorite: Todd Browning's Freaks. This film released in 1932 deserves a wider audience. A dvd release is imperative.

I am a huge fan of Solondz's Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness who found Storytelling almost unwatchable.

I also like Cronenberg. A recent, second viewing of Spider led me to conclude it rates with his best work. I'll be watching Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch again soon.

rocketrogerhood
12-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Agreed, Storytelling was afwul.

Originally posted by Kurinai
Opera is great, although I am not quite sure that the ending it has is the best possible one, but a great film none of the less. What do you think about Argento in general? I love his early work, but his new films are quite bad. I think his biggest mistake is letting his daughter act. She is a horrible actress.
I love Happiness, but have you seen Storytelling?? Whatīs up with that? It was a very poor film. Didnīt like one bit.
I am getting familiar with french director Gaspar Noe. I think his movies are awesome. Especially Irreversible. Worth checking.
Happy holidays.