PDA

View Full Version : Riddick (2013)

cinemabon
09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
“Riddick” directed by David Twohy

Science Fiction has had a strong year with several space dramas that have splashed across the silver screen. “Riddick” is Universal’s latest offering opening today with David Twohy at the helm directing this third installment in the series he started. Less a film about a man against the world and more a film of a man against a world – as this setting is unlike any ecosystem we’ve yet to encounter. There is nothing here but very hostile organisms bent on making Riddick dinner. And for the most part, the film is a one man show with Diesel showing what a strong guy he is. Shocking though it may seem, the ruggedly handsome virile actor turned 46 this year, though on screen and I would say even in person, still kicks ass as a much younger man. I wish he made more films where he could shine as he does here. That said, there are gaping holes in the rest of the film that deserve more scrutiny.

As we last left Riddick, he was “king” of the Necromancers with Karl Urban’s character (reprised) nipping at his heels. Promising to deliver the “furyon” to his home planet, Riddick is tricked and taken to a hostile planet where he is ambushed. Using his wits, he learns to survive the hostile environment until he witnesses a terrible event that convinces Riddick, “It’s time we leave this rock.”

Riddick uses an emergency beacon, which calls bounty hunters seeking his hide. Playing a cat and mouse game, Riddick eliminates most of his competition but not before the Armageddon of monsters arrives, threatening to strand all those on the planet.

Riddick is an action picture that relies heavily on the presence of its star, Vin Diesel. What’s great about the film is that Diesel has great screen presence and exudes a machismo that appeals to both men and women. Diesel’s Riddick is put through the paces and forced to mend broken legs and even cauterize wounds with molten rocks – things that would put ordinary men (or women) on a cold slab. Nothing and no one is safe on this hostile desert planet and in the end the spark of humanity that arises almost comes too late the save the film’s ending.

I was riveted all through the picture until the never-ending battle with the monsters seemed to drag on far too long. Instead of getting to the point, the pointless banter between Riddick and a father out for revenge gets too bogged down in semantics to be useful as a “salvation” point at the end.

“Riddick” is one of the best visually stunning science fiction films in a very long time. Creating a world from scratch isn’t easy. Just ask James Cameron when he had to build “Avatar” from scratch. But this world isn’t full of pretty pictures. This is a very hostile place where – if there was a civilization, as relics would assume – they had long vanished when some terrible change took place.

Katee Sackhoff (Dahl), Matt Nable (Johns), and Karl Urban (Vaako) make credible supporting actors, carrying their scenes. Whereas Jordi Molla as Santana comes across as the horrible stereotypical Hispanic badass we’ve seen in a hundred movies going back to the 1960’s. This is usually the fault of the script or the director. David Eggby’s cinematography is outstanding with several foreground/background juxtaposition shots that demonstrate his ability to properly frame groups and Eggby lights this film in a way that makes it all seem very seamless and natural. There are no shadows on the ground. No light flares in the camera and very few tricks – just some great steady shots, avoiding overuse of steady cam. Production designer Joseph Nemec (Terminator 2) and Art director Jean-Andre Carriere along with Visual Effects by Behold 3D and Comen VFX and Method Studios have given us a visual feast from which we may freely drink, even though Riddick may not. Even Graeme Revell’s score is a pleasant change of pace from the pounding my ears took in “Elysium.”

A fast paced popcorn muncher, Towhy’s third “Riddick” is mostly fun and mostly enjoyable and very adult (graphic nudity and violence) but an unusual romp into the world of science fiction. Now we also had another film this year about survival on a hostile world (“After Earth”) which I did not see. Therefore I find it difficult to make comparisons. Perhaps those on this site who have seen both can make that comparison. Slightly recommended, just like pasta with clam sauce – not my favorite but different.

Chris Knipp
09-06-2013, 05:40 PM
If only we were in close touch and I knew you were going I'd have gone today and we could have compared notes. But I haven't seen it -- yet.

If you like Vin Diesel do you watch him in FAST AND FURIOUS? That's his most famous venue I would think but you don't mention it. I like them.

Second since he clearly loves the RIDDICK series you may like to read the review of this one by Walter Chaw, a reviewer I often follow. It is HERE. (http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2013/09/riddick-2013.html)

It might also amuse you to know that there is another guy named Chris Knipp, clearly much younger, who lives in the south somewhere and used to have a web page whose title and theme was, I kid you not, "I LOVE VIN DIESEL." It has vanished now into the remotest outer reaches of cybrerspace.

cinemabon
09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
LOL! I about fell out of my chair! I could walk across town for Vin! I'm not a big car fan so I did not catch ANY of the "Fast and Furious" pix. My bad. You'll be disappointed, Chris, in that Vin does not bear any flesh in this. He's covered up the whole time. There are plenty of naked ladies, hence the nudity part. Nix on the muscle shots of Vin. He's a great action hero, though, and that is perhaps why (along with the sci-fi) I found this the most satisfying sci-fi flick this year - minus the silly plot points.

For the most part I agree with Walter Chaw and would love to see Glazer's "Under the skin" if only to compare notes.

Chris Knipp
09-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I think I can survive without Vin baring flesh. But I'll miss Paul Walker. I hope you get to compare notes. Chaw is a passionate movie writer. Sometimes he goes overboard, but I always want to know what's up on Film Freak Central. Why couldn't Peter have thought up a catchy title like that for our site?

Chris Knipp
09-06-2013, 07:52 PM
The always interesting Armond White argues that REDDICK and GETAWAY are both Westerns, and misunderstood. See his review. (http://www.nyfcc.com/2013/09/riddick-and-getaway-reviewed-by-armond-white-for-cityarts/#.Uin07iJ6s7g.twitter)

Chris Knipp
09-07-2013, 11:18 PM
David Twohy: RIDDICK (2013)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/536/0ILB5J.jpg
VIN DIESEL AS RIDDICK WITH BITCHIN' DIGITAL DEMON DINGO DOG

Intergalactic tough guy

This is a series, and I've come late to the game. Reddick, this pared down version, The Chronicles of Riddick: Into Pitch Black having been followed by The Chronicles of Riddick, and now just plain Riddick, aims to show us that all you really need is Vin Diesel. And it succeeds. Forget acting skill. What does that mean, in this context? There is something else. Something more elemental. Brawn and chutzpah give Vin a presence other actors would die for. Compared to Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, and older hulking action heros like Stallone or Schwarzenegger, Diesel has a je-ne-sais-quoi, a self-contained quality, like he doesn't have to prove anything.

I'd still frankly rather watch the man trade bander and chase cars with Brian and Hobbes, Mia, Letty, Roman, Han and the rest of the Fast and Furious crew -- and that street-racing good-buddies-and-babes franchise, about to go into its seventh iteration, is the more successful one by a clear global margin. But there have been a bunch of summer blockbuster sci-fi movies from Hollywood this year, some of them quite impressive in their own ways, and yet this one succeeds in making the rest look fussy and sissified by comparison. In a world of interplanetary travel and futuristic technology, it's still down to cojones and muscle. Riddick is, basically, a Beckettian space-age survival Western. With Vin's (happily sparse) deep, booming voiceover.

We need that voiceover at first, to dispel the loneliness. To start out with, Riddick, an outlaw over a decade on the lam, is marooned on a hostile planet. (The crowds of Furyans, Necromongers, and other sundry oddball semi-humans from the earlier "Pitch Black" "Chronicles" in the series have been ditched in this pared-down story -- except Riddick's still a Furyan, I'd guess, judging by the way his eyes glow in the dark.) If the ornate font of the opening credits doesn't tell you this is a Western then the desert and mountains of this red-orange sunburnt heavily digitalized landscape will. It's got air and water, but it's riddled with large venomous reptilian critters with little dinosaur bodies and tall, rearing cobra-like heads. And they are not friendly. Riddick refits a bit of exoskeleton (ouch), then self-injects repeated doses of the venom to immunize himself. Besides these poisonous amphibians, which he beats off with big bone shards, there are large, hyena-like wild dogs, and Riddick captures a small one and makes it his pet. But apart the loneliness and hostility of this environment, Riddick spies stormy clouds way off in the distance and sees something terrible coming: later we'll find out what. So he sends a kind of alarm message from a dormant space station and two space ships come for him.

Only he hides, because they know who and what he is and are there to capture him dead or alive. He has to cow them into submission. The fun of the rest of the movie is seeing how he does this. The twist -- structurally a somewhat inexplicable one -- is that at this juncture the point of view shifts. Riddick is hiding somewhere, playing tricks on the ten men and one tough lady, Dahl (Katee Sackhoff), who firmly states that her sexual activities do not generally include men. These folks fight it out among themselves. On one ship's team is the preening, nasty Santana (Jordi Mollà), so nasty he releases a female prisoner (Keri Hilson), then shoots her escaping, to "lighten the load" and because he was becoming too fond of her. The other ship is captained more reliably by Boss Johns (Matt Nable), who has history with Riddick: his son died at his hand, it appears, a decade hence. Though he's not the scumbag we find in Santana, his nature may contain seeds of the same failure of nerve that brought down his son. Others emerge rather well too. Moss (Bokeem Woodbine) seems like simply a more purely African--American version of Riddick. Most are bewhiskered and hulking, save for the more youthful and prettified Luna; but even Nolan Gerard Funk, who plays him, is a gynmast and diver. Riddick begins dispatching members of these two warring teams, without even being seen.

It comes down to two "nodes" that are essential to running the two space sips, which Riddick has mysteriously gotten hold of. And though the remaining crew members, despite their posturing, are afraid of Riddick, he shows them that it's the horrors that the gathering storm brings that they should really be scared of, and should make them leave and let him have one of the ships.

Vin Diesel is an inVINcible hero in Riddick. And this dark, macho movie is so intense and vivid that, if you give yourself up to it, it's over before you can say "Neanderthal." But I could have done without the vulgar language, the repetitiveness, and the long inexplicable abandonment of the main character in the middle.

Riddick, 119 mins., was written by David Twohy, based on characters created by Jim and Ken Wheat. Released in the UK 4 Sept. 2013, in the US 6 Sept. Metacritic rating: 48.