PDA

View Full Version : GODZILLA (Gareth Edwards 2014)

Chris Knipp
05-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Gareth Edwards: GODZILLA (2014)

http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/godzilla.jpg
EDWARDS INTEGRATES CHINESE LANTERNS WITH MONSTERS BETTER THAN PEOPLE.
THIS MAY BE GODZILLA'S BEST IMAGE.

A lot is good about the new Godzilla movie, yet as human drama it still fizzles

This is the first English-language Godzilla, that originally Japanese post-Hiroshima creation, since Roland Emmerich's 1998 dud. And -- two cheers -- this time it's not a dud. Alas, it's no masterpiece either. It's plenty loud and eye-dazzling, at its biggest moments of mayhem quite beautiful to look at visually. It does cool things with POV that are arguably enhanced by 3D and iMax viewing (I half agree, being a fan of iMax but not of 3D). Monsters are seen from cramped positions, with people in front of the line of vision, creating some momentarily dramatic public-private contrasts. Besides this, special effects have taken a leap forward since 1998, providing more handsome critters and more plausible urban destruction, both of which Gareth Edwards does just fine. But unfortunately Edwards has left out the kind of heart-stopping crowd action a master like Steven Spielberg would have given us, the way truly effective editing would integrate monster and mankind to create memorable drama. What we get is more like a memorable, and huge, video-game. Godzilla is still and always will be a Fifties movie, and maybe ought to embrace that fact more boldly. Fifties sci-fi movies did the scared crowd thing really well.

Gadgetry is fine, but what's not improved is how monster movies use or misuse their human cast. Though Emmerich had Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno, Gareth Edwards' cast is, pointlessly, even better. It includes prizewinners and A-Listers like Oscar nominees Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn, Elizabeth Olsen, even Oscar winner Juliette Binoche, no less, all completely wasted, though Breaking Bad lead and Emmy winner Bryan Cranston chews up the rug in his every scene as if he were going for an Oscar. As his son, the human-scientific hero Ford Brody (what a safe WASP name!), is the chameleonic Aaron Taylor-Johnson of Kick-Ass (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3577-KICK-ASS-2-%28Jeff-Wadlow-2013%29)fame, who has gone in five years from playing the scrawny young John Lennon to a kind of monster hulk himself, a big over-bulked military guy specialized, this time, in bomb diffusion, what the Brits called in World War II (see The English Patient) a "sapper." All these actors try hard with nothing original or deep to do or say, except for the conflict between those who "know" the "truth" about the natural phenomena that turn out to be out-of-watery-limbo monsters (and their benevolent nemesis), and those, like Admiral William Stenz (David Strathairn), in charge of a blunt-instrument government emergency operation, who wants to blow up Godzilla, and lots of people too if need be.

These actors, variously opposed or over-stressed, try hard but are given nothing to do. And why should they be? There ought to be more about Godzilla, and yet his entrance is held off till a whole hour into the drama. That's crazy, though we understand the coyness: isn't horror scarier while it's kept off stage? Anyway, a lot of huffing and puffing by shallow characters leads up to a giant battle of the monsters that's never integrated into a story we can truly care about. Great kitsch comes rarely, and this ain't it.

Being more savior than villain now, the giant lizard (perhaps originally an outgrowth of Japanese folktale woodcuts), crazy as this may sound, now exhibits the occasional cuddly Smokey-the-Bear-like profile and mannerism. The villain monsters this benevolent "dinosaur" (as a kid calls him) must defeat are of the giant insect variety, with a metallic, mechanical quality. Maybe when push comes to shove, we do prefer reptiles to bugs. But Godzilla's positive role leads to some real contradictions. When you see how he wrecks major downtown San Francisco buildings, you may wonder about this savior, unless this is some kind of reverse urban renewal, taking the city back to its Fifties charm before the Italian-American mayor Alioto started getting all the skyscrapers built downtown dwarfing beloved landmarks like Russian and Telegraph Hills.

It's all complicated, the US government hiding what's going on for decades, stuff about radioactivity being what the evil critters are conceived, hatched, or born out of, Nature being allowed to restore its own Balance. You may need to be a fanboy or Godzilla-nerd to care about some of these details, an editorial writer to care about others. The main thing is that the previously obscure writers Max Borenstein and David Callahan have contrived a way to make Godzilla into a superficially up-to-date clash of the titans -- but one which, unfortunately, makes the humans in the story largely irrelevant. It's impressive, but you have only to remember the considerably cooler Golden Gate Bridge action in 2011's Rise of Planet of the Apes (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3127-RISE-OF-PLANET-OF-THE-APES-%28Rupert-Wyatt-2011%29) to realize the storytelling and CGI destruction of real settings aren't very interesting this time. This is also a more primitive treatment of the Japanese monster creatures known as kaiju, their giant form (like Godzilla) known as daikaiju, terms westerners know better after films like Guillermo del Toro's gorgeous, if lumbering Pacific Rim. (http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.php?3556-PACIFIC-RIM-%28Guillermo-del-Toro-2013%29) We may be more savvy, even jaded, about our folkloric archetypes and want them more complex now.

Godzilla, 123 mins., opened in virtually ever country in the world that has movie screens in mid-May 2014. Screened for this review in 3D and iMax on its East Bay opening day a week later at AMC Bay Street 16, Emeryville, California.

http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/daikaiku.jpg
DAIKAIJU (GIANT MONSTER) RODAN FROM 1956 FILM:
ANY PROGRESS SINCE?

Johann
11-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Gareth Edwards' Godzilla. I bought the DVD and was happy with my purchase.
Don't be fooled: this movie appears to be really really bad on the surface, and imdb reviews testify to that notion in spades.
But I thoroughly enjoyed the B-grade quality and absolutely awesome monster sfx.
There was a real attempt to make this seem real, even though it is out-to-lunch sci-fi fantasy and I appreciate the effort.

The main complaint I've read is that Godzilla is seen too few times. But I know he's onscreen enough here. Gareth Edwards paces the Icon's screen presence quite well I think, and I enjoyed the cheesy B-Grade movieness of it all.
Critics can have a field day with this one, but I think they should let 2014's Godzilla take it's place in movie history. I think Gareth Edwards is a new great directing talent, and I look forward to more Godzilla from him. This is a franchise I can munch my popcorn to. If I saw this as a kid, I'd go apeshit.

Chris Knipp
11-30-2014, 12:01 AM
I posed a lot of questions you don't address. Except for the limited screen time of Godzilla, which I call "crazy," but see an explanation for -- that makes him scarier; it might also avoid overexposure for a sequel where he may occupy more screen time or appear earlier on. I might have had trouble with how good actors are wasted, but in 3D and iMax in a nice cineplex where I saw it, this GODZILLA didn't look at all cheesy. Maybe your DVD isn't a good transfer or your playback equipment isn't quite ideal? Have you seen RISE OF PLANET OF THE APES and PACIFIC RIM? Both somewhat more memorable for me. Even if PACIFIC RIM was unbelievably boring it is also extremely beautiful. And RISE OF PLANET OF THE APES has a great story, significantly used actors (good role for James Franco for a change), and brilliant CGI, especially the action on the GG Bridge -- a well-known landmark rarely so well and realistically used.

Johann
11-30-2014, 12:17 AM
You're quite right that the actors give their all but have nothing really to do, and they may be wasted casting. Juliette Binoche dies early, Cranston dies dramatically later on, and Ken Watanabe's role could've been played by anyone, no? You are also correct that we don't see Godzilla for almost an hour into the show. I felt they were holding back way too much on our glimpses of Godzilla for half the movie and then they gave us just the right amount of carnage and vintage "King of the Monsters" cinema he is known worldwide for. What I meant by cheesy was not the look of the film, but the B-movie vibe. Edwards is going for verisimilitude while honoring the character's history. This is the best Godzilla I've seen in my lifetime and I want more. Pacific Rim may have more going for it- I like that one too. I like these kinds of blockbusters. I'll take Godzilla and Pacific Rim over Harry Potter or Hunger Games any day of the week. :)

Johann
11-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Your point about Godzilla being more of a savior than villain is duly noted. That is the most B-movie aspect of the whole movie. Look at the destruction Godzilla and the other monsters wrought! And the film has a "happy" ending? Godzilla as John Wayne? I loved it. I really did. There is real hatred and vitriol for this movie on the imdb and elsewhere. Do these people enjoy a movie anymore?

Chris Knipp
11-30-2014, 01:46 AM
We agree now that I get what you mean by "cheesy" as a genre not film technique word. You didn't say anything about RISE OF PLANET OF THE APES, especially the ending bridge sequence. I wouldn't put HARRY POTTER in the same drawer as HUNGER GAMES. HARRY POTTER is a series that has books behind it with pretty good literary value, which the films honor. HUNGER GAMES is just simplistic YA novels. However, the first two HUNGER GAMES were fun with their garish totalitarian ruling class. The new third one is a clinker, all gray and pointless.

As for changing Godzilla to a savior instead of a monster, it's not like this material is sacred, or that there aren't a lot of variations in the Japanese versions, from what I hear. I was not aware that IMDb's GODZILLA chatter was vitriolic. I don't pay as much attention to that as I did earlier on in my Internet critic career. Metacritic averages 48 reviews, a goodly number, out to a 62, which is "generally favorable." I'd go by that. Not that reviewers are always right, but it's a more reliable source.

Johann
11-30-2014, 01:55 AM
I haven't seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes but I'm very open to it.
Yes, the Godzilla material isn't sacred, but what Gareth Edwards did with it is fine to me. It's no joke that people really didn't like this Godzilla. I guess it didn't have enough mindless violence like the Transformers movies do. (ha ha ha) Godzilla's violence is impressive, because it's a creature that almost makes it into the realm of scientific possibility, like Jurassic Park did/does. The swath of destruction he leaves in San Francisco was awesome. It made an impact on me. The way in which Godzilla's visage is revealed to us also appeals to me. It's basically a tease for an hour, and normally I hate that noise. But I gave it up for it here. I won't bend over backwards to try to convince someone this is great movie. Because I actually can see why people would give it a thumbs down. For me though, I really enjoyed it. And I'll watch the DVD more than I probably should. :)

Chris Knipp
11-30-2014, 02:42 AM
Yes, I see that, this GODZILLA has plenty of scenes with dialogue, less ultra-violence. It doesn't get to the violence till half way through or further and it's not extreme violence, more off-in-the-distance war-of-the monsters (which is sort of like PACIFIC RIM). I really recommend RISE OF PLANET OF THE APES (http://flickfeast.co.uk/feature/rise-planet-apes/). Not to be confused with the 2014 DAWN OF PLANET OF THE APES, which to me was basically lame. Inexplicably, according to Metacritric the reviews wind up rating DAWN 11 points higher than RISE.

If you bought the DVD, it's a good thing that you'll watch it multiple times.

Living in San Francisco, or having long lived there and living nearby, I didn't like seeing big chunks of the city destroyed, and as I said in my review it seems contradictory that Godzila is a savior here but does so much damage. But those scenes are classic Godzilla stuff. Without them the movie would lack something essential to the genre.

Johann
11-30-2014, 01:38 PM
The dialogue...that is another area where people don't like this movie. This story is relayed through Cranston and his traumas and vexations. The script has almost zero life, and the actors (Bryan Cranston especially) do their utmost to make it fly. I wasn't drawn into the story with all that dialogue because the payoff is time-delayed-we have to sit for an hour before we get that incredible shot of Godzilla's leg and foot. I think Gareth Edwards will learn from this experience of making such a huge movie. And he's very fortunate to have one of the biggest box-office hits of the year. So I expect a lot from the sequel Gareth! Hammer out a script that's better than this first installment. And by that I mean: tighten everything up. You've set up his arrival with this one, now let's see some truly impressive Gojira shit! If the focus is Godzilla and the human aspects are not that paramount, then we had better see him in groundbreaking, amazing fight sequences that rock our socks off. You proved it's possible- I'd tell anyone to buy the DVD just to watch the scene of Godzilla breathing fire for the first time. And his roar....fuck is that cool! In surround sound it's Nirvana to hear, a real raise your fist and yell movie moment. The ante must be uppped, Gareth. Chris Nolan knows how to do it, and you have the skills to do the same. GODZILLA deserves nothing less. I want him in movie theatres until the day I die.

Chris Knipp
11-30-2014, 01:50 PM
"I want him in movie theatres until the day I die."

Then we need to go out to those movie theaters and ante up once in a while. I do a lot of home viewing when I'm in California as opposed to NYC but I do put in cineplex time and those big screen experiences are what feed my vision of what movies are. At home it's just "reasonable" facsimiles. Of course you know this, Johann.

My favorite movie theater apart from the Paris ones (just for the glamour of being in Paris) is the Walter Reade Theater at Lincoln Center, where most of the NYFF press screenings are held, and I noticed the guys who made LISTEN UP PHILIP (or was it the Safdie brothers? maybe both) said that too. The screen size and sound are great. And at festivals they don't bombard you with numbing trailers to break your concentration.

I find it is hard to sit through a film at home, too tempting to stop it for breaks, also interrupting the real movie experience, though beneficial indeed for study purposes, taking notes, etc. I took a lot of notes while watching the Sontag film yesterday -- something I cannot and don't want to do at screenings.

Johann
11-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Are you saying I should get out to more movies? You really know how to hurt a man. :)

That's why I like your style, Chris Knipp. You use velvet gloves.

Chris Knipp
11-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't know how velvet my gloves are. But I'm admitting I spend a lot of time on home viewing myself. Only when I'm in NYC or less often in Paris I'm out staring at the big screen all the time and that's what feeds the sense of what movies are which we depend on when we watch stuff in a small format.

Johann
11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Your velvet gloves are velour. Come on, now :)

Chris Knipp
12-01-2014, 12:03 AM
If you say so.

Johann
12-15-2014, 06:37 AM
I'd like to add a little more about Godzilla. I've been watching the DVD a lot, and some things should be pointed out.

After seeing it a bunch of times in a row, I can report that yes, (as Chris mentioned) the cast is wasted here. The characters are not really that interesting and their problems do not concern me while watching the movie. I'm locked in on Godzilla, and the M.U.T.O.'s (male & female). The Hu-Mons are kinda silly and irrelevant here, aren't they? This film is all about Godzilla, the M.U.T.O.'s, and the epic battle they engage in. In the DVD special features we're told that the film would not have gotten made unless Godzilla fought a monster. That was the stipulation. I'm fine with that, as Gareth Edwards is/was. After all, how many Godzilla movies are there where he's fighting another monster? Plenty.

The criticism lies in the build-up to seeing Godzilla in action. It takes a fair amount of time to get to see the King. And I'm not sure it's worth it. Yesterday I actually skipped the first half of the movie with my remote, because I'm bored of the beginning of the movie already. I love the design of Godzilla- they did a phenomenal CGI rendering of him. I love how Edwards' approach respects the Legend and yet still brings it to a modern day audience. The third act was Awesome- total balls to the wall destruction, similar to the mass destruction we saw in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel. I guess one could gripe about the lack of panic on the public's faces and psyches- people should be going berserk over this Monster! You're right Chris- Spielberg would've gotten the "man on the street" POV much better. That's not to say that I didn't love a lot of the POV shots that Edwards has here. The scale of the creatures and their relationship to us bipeds was well done. I loved the shot of Godzilla putting his hand on the Golden Gate bridge while a tank frantically backs up. I also loved the H.A.L.O. jump- with the accompanying music being a nod to Kubrick. Only in the movies! In reality, I don't think the Army (any Army) would resort to HALO jumps in the face of such a monster. Only in the movies, and I loved it. I also love the origins of Godzilla- that Japan wanted to make a movie about Hiroshima but were blocked by the USA. So they did the next best thing- they made a monster movie indirectly about Hiroshima, and a cinematic Legend is born. And he appeared only 9 years after the bomb was dropped. The Japanese wanted the world to know their feelings, and Godzilla was as close as they ever got.

Chris Knipp
12-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I think you made some of these observations before and I agree with you. There was much to admire in this GODZILLA, but some weaknesses. It would be brilliant if it had not only a great monster and balls-to-the-wall action, but interesting characters and involving preliminary narrative. Just want to note that in David Erlich's great video countdown (http://vimeo.com/113355414) to his 25 favorite films of 2014, which I've recommended before, there is interesting use of clips from Godzilla. Everything works in Erlich's video blending into a grand celebration of cinematic magic.