PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Barney: The Cremaster Cycle

Marina
02-17-2003, 08:29 AM
This exhibit left Paris a couple of months ago and will be opening soon in New York, at the Guggenheim. It's a series of installations (conceived and organized by Barney) centered around his five Cremaster movies.

The Cremaster muscle controls the rising and lowering of the testicles in reponse to fear, cold, etc. (I'd never heard of it before Barney -- just one of the many physiological revelations he has to offer.) As you might guess from this, a lot of his work has to do with gender construction ... but it's much more than that.

It's great seeing the movies in the context of this exhibit, because you get such a sense of entering his universe. The "screening rooms" are bracketed by sculptures and objects featured in or related to the movies. He did an amazing job of setting the tone for each movie, while still making you feel that, as you made your way through the exhibit, from one movie to another, you were navigating a coherent whole.

He apparently expanded the New York version of the exhibit, added a few installations ... I envy anyone in New York who gets to see it!

- Marina

pmw
02-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Excited about this coming to NY. Film Forum has screened some of the Cremasters, and I caught a few Barney photos at the Whitney. Im curious...

On a not unrelated topic your fav films list caused my testicles to rise and lower... loose transition but... Have you seen Breakfast Club lately? I swore it was my favorite film for the first 17ish years of my life. I recently saw it on some Saturday mid-afternoon local affiliate broadcast and found myself reeling in pain. It was boring save for Ally Sheedy's artist character. Something poetic about her choice of dandriff as snow...

Thanks to your list, I did add Groundhog Day to my own.

word,
P

Marina
02-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by pmw

On a not unrelated topic your fav films list caused my testicles to rise and lower... loose transition but... Have you seen Breakfast Club lately? I swore it was my favorite film for the first 17ish years of my life. I recently saw it on some Saturday mid-afternoon local affiliate broadcast and found myself reeling in pain. It was boring save for Ally Sheedy's artist character. Something poetic about her choice of dandriff as snow...

-----------------------
Peter, such blasphemy! One of the few requirements of our generation is a blind acceptance of all things John Hughes ...

Okay ... well, I guess I haven't seen it in a few years. But I do have it more or less memorized and, as I play it in my brain, I see only genuis.

Speaking of testicles, I should probably add Tough, Sad Hustler to my list of favorite movies. An unrecognized masterpiece, right?

- Marina

Johann
08-27-2004, 02:02 PM
The Cremaster Cycle is having a second run in October at the pacific cinematheque. I'm going to make every effort to be there: Barney is influenced by Kubrick, Lynch and Cocteau.

And the cycle employs Ursula Andress and Norman Mailer.

Norman Mailer?!

Johann
08-27-2004, 03:24 PM
http://www.cremaster.net/#finalState

Marina
08-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Peter, you never shared your thoughts on the Cremaster exhibit. Or did I miss them?

I'll be curious to hear your reaction, Johann.

- Marina