PDA

View Full Version : Gangs of New York

stevetseitz
03-02-2003, 02:55 AM
OK so I'm lame, I finally made it to the theater to see this film.

I was amazed. Scorcese pulls few punches in this historical epic. Daniel Day Lewis gave a truly Oscar worthy performance. I could almost imagine Scorcese wishing he could cast a younger Robert DeNiro (but even he would not have improved on DDL's work)

While I was watching the film I found myself thinking that, were I a history teacher, this film would be required viewing for my students. Of course, without historical perspective, it would be a confusing mess. I had the fortune of just finishing John C. Waugh's excellent "Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency". {I recommend this book to anyone interested in our nation and the Civil War.} This film takes place in 1864. So I was chock full of historical perspective. I nearly found myself giddy.

When the character Horace Greeley was mentioned I knew what his views were on Lincoln, the Civil War, the Irish and slavery. I felt like I was almost "in" on this film.

Scorcese rightly avoids the Hollywood trap of trying to simply blame the situation on one people, one party or one ethnic group. Instead, he has more than enough blame and scorn to cast about so all are equally stung. This reflects the reality of that historical period.

Let's talk about DiCaprio. I was astonished how good he was in "Catch Me If You Can". This film kicks it up a notch to use the parlance of our times. He was very, very good and I feel he was snubbed by the Academy.

Cameron Diaz. When I first saw her gorgeous face on the screen, I thought "There goes my suspension of disbelief." In a movie where few people looked attractive at least to modern jaded eyes, she was radiant. I have to be honest. She gave her best performance to date in this film and it was one she can be proud of. John C. Reilly was his usual excellent self. Brendan Gleeson and Liam Neeson were superb in small but important roles. Jim Broadbent was so damn good I forgot he was acting and just thought of him as William "Boss" Tweed.

But even with all these star performances, Scorcese is the real star of the show. He manages to bring real emotion to scenes with rhythm and composition and musical choices. He successfully pulls off with scenes that I just don't see other directors even attempting.

If you haven't seen it yet (and I think I must be the last) hurry and catch it on the big screen. Take it from me you'll be gald you did.

Perfume V
03-03-2003, 10:50 AM
That pretty much sums up how I felt towards this film. I keep on meaning to write a review of it myself. I'll have to motivate myself to do that...

Johann
03-04-2003, 05:09 PM
I really hate to criticize Scorsese, but the film could have been 10-15 mins. shorter and I could spot self-consciousness in Leo DiCaprio. he seemed to be aware that he was in a BIG movie. I think he just tried not to look like a sap next to the looming Lewis.

Anybody see marty on Leno last night? riveting conversation.

oscar jubis
03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
I liked GoNY. I always write my best lists on my b-day. With a week to go, GoNY is still borderline English-lang. top 10. Let me tell you what I found problematic:
I think the film itself needed to provide more in-depth historical perspective. A BIT of what stevetseitz got from Waugh's book.
The film would benefit from being less ambitious/comprehensive, and shorter (like Johann suggests); or maybe a longer cut would be more satisfying (like Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America). It has been reported this is a "Miramax version". Will Marty release his cut on dvd? Hope so. Now, let's get into something even more subjective. Ms. Diaz' performance is not "bad", but in my opinion she was miscast and DiCaprio would not be my first choice.
Wish I has seen Marty last night on Leno. At least I can watch Marty's history of american cinema called A Journey through American Cinema with...

Perfume V
03-05-2003, 09:29 AM
I will concur that, whereas I liked what I saw, this film will most likely make one of the best directors' cuts of all time one day. I'm especially intrigued by what Elmer Bernstein's score would have been like, seeing as the music was one of the least impressive parts of the finished film. The music over the opening battle sequence was impressive, but the period tracks lacked the emotive force of other 'Scorsese scores' like Mean Streets and Goodfellas, and U2's song was... well, the nicest thing I can say about it was that it was better than 'Elevation'.

Johann
03-05-2003, 01:38 PM
A director's cut of GONY would be something to see.
I say the film could have been shorter, but it ALSO could have been longer. Good point guys.

Scorsese on the tonight show was great. He spoke of his trying to get the film made for 30 years and how Weinstein tried to stop him from using the elephant (for budget reasons). Bill the Butcher actually has a grave in Brooklyn that the city just put a marker on (about time, eh?) He said Bill's funeral was HUGE, (thru city streets) and how he was viewed as a martyr. His last words in the film were the exact words Bill spoke as he was dying. Anybody remember what they were? TRIVIA!!!!!

stevetseitz
03-05-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm positive his last words were NOT "You're a corker, Shannon!"

Johann
03-05-2003, 07:09 PM
I'm positive too.

Perfume V
03-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Is Bill's grave next to Priest Vallon's, though? I wondered that as I left the cinema. In fact, I'm not even sure whether there was a Priest Vallon - I think Amsterdam was a fictional character, though that doesn't necessarily mean Priest was too. Does anyone know the answers to these questions?