PDA

View Full Version : The Mountain Eagle (1926) - Alfred Hitchcock

SinjinSB
03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
I have added my page for The Mountain Eagle to my Hitchcock page:
The Mountain Eagle (1926) (http://www.andrewnixon.com/movies/me.htm)

Of course I haven't seen this film (as no known copies exist), but I have included a lot of good information that I've come across, including a detailed trade review from the time and an excellent account of the making of the film by Hitch himself.

I've also scanned in all 30 of the stills from the movie (until a few years ago, there were only 6 known to exist), as well as 11 production photos.

Perfume V
03-10-2003, 10:47 AM
That's fascinating... it is truly humbling to realise that even a film directed by a man generally accepted as one of the finest directos who ever lived can disintegrate as easily as a slapstick two-reeler. If Digital Video gives us nothing else, it will have given us an easy way to preserve films.

movieman7
09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
It is a shame this film is among the "lost collection." Minus a couple silent films, "The Skin Game" and "Waltzes From Vienna", I have seen all of Hitchcock's movies.

If anyone becomes aware of any resurrected copies, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Favorite: "Psycho" (1960). Least: "Jamaica Inn" (1939)

SinjinSB
09-29-2003, 01:07 PM
I've seen The Skin Game and Waltzes from Vienna, but there are about 10 others I've haven't watched yet. I've recently started a project/webpage and plan on watching them all chronologically. With the obvious exception of Mountain Eagle, I have been able to track them all down in some format.

Though I already had to go out of order to watch Waltzes from Vienna which I mention why on the webpage. The Lodger is next on my list, but I've been really busy and haven't gotten to it. I saw it 10-15 years ago, but it was an awful copy with no sound. I'm looking forward to the new DVD with a 5.1 score added.

Favorite: Rear Window
Least favorite: The Manxman

Hitchcock Website (http://www.andrewnixon.com/hitch.htm)

movieman7
09-29-2003, 01:20 PM
In the early 1990s, I viewed "The Lodger" on VHS. The quality was rather lousy. A few years ago, when AMC was American Movie Classics, showing movies without commercials, they had their annual restoration festival for Hitchcock. I was able to view "The Lodger" with clean, and even tinted visuals.

It's worth viewing. Is the main character also "The Avenger"? (based on "Jack the Ripper"). Watch and see!

For comparison, see the 1944 version of "The Lodger" - co-starring Merle Oberon (sp?).

SinjinSB
09-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by movieman7
For comparison, see the 1944 version of "The Lodger" - co-starring Merle Oberon (sp?).

I've picked up the 1944 version as well as the other remake, "Man in the Attic" and plan on watching them after I re-watch the original. Unfortunately I can't seem to track down the 1932 version, but maybe eventually.