PDA

View Full Version : all time greatest lines from films

anniedoa
03-09-2003, 04:34 PM
my all time favorite line is "tie me up... chain me to the bed... board up the windows.... just don't let me outa here!!!" does anybody out there know what movie that is from??? i might not have the line exactly right.... but if you're a fan, you'll know!!!

Perfume V
03-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I think I know it, but I can't place it...

My favourite line from a film ever is "I will not tolerate Communist subversion. I will not tolerate Communist infiltration. And I will not tolerate the international Communist conspiracy to sap, weaken and impurify our precious... bodily fluids." Just that little pause at the end there, man, it always makes me laugh.

anniedoa
03-10-2003, 11:49 AM
i don't recognize the line... but it sounds great!!! i truly need to see the film that line comes from. hmmmmm. it's possible i already have. the line from my movie comes from wolf man with lon chaney. so great. excellent performance. one of my all time favorite performances.

Perfume V
03-10-2003, 12:10 PM
OK, I don't know it at all. *g*

I really must see it sometime - I'm a horror fan, and firmly believe that anyone with a passing interest in the genre should sit through silent horror, old Universal horror and anything made by Tod Browning - if only because, if fans are more educated about these films, tosh like The Others will stop being so overpraised. Hopefully...

My line was from Dr. Strangelove, incidentally. My all-time favourite until I saw Mulholland Drive.

anniedoa
03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
i loved mulholland drive. it's good and dark. i saw it twice. i was reading the comments from everybody, and i didn't think it was really hard to follow... i figured the entire thing was a dream. every bit of it. i could justify this statement if i didnt have to type the whole thing... i saw it the second time to see if "the whole thing is a dream" theory worked. and it did. the second viewing troubled me, because i loved it so much. it was better for me to just see it once. it would have stayed on the top of my list.

Johann
03-10-2003, 02:12 PM
A line that always cracks me up is from Cabaret:

"You're about as fatale as an after-dinner mint!"

Ilker81x
03-14-2003, 10:37 AM
"Withnail and I" is a plethora of quotable lines. Some only funny if you see it in the context of the movie. That being said, the greatest line from that movie:

"We want the finest wines available to humanity! We want them here and we want them now!"

-Richard E. Grant (Withnail).

cinemabon
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Here is my favorite all time line(s):

Sullivan: "I want this to be a document... I want to hold up a mirror to life... I want this (movie) to be a picture of dignity... a true canvass of the suffering of humanity!"

Studio Boss: "... but with a little sex."

Publicity:"How about a nice musical?"

-------------------------------

tabuno
03-15-2003, 12:41 AM
There's no words, no talking except the music, but there's an expression, a look from a car window, a brief scene at the end of "Nomads" that so haunting that it will simmer in my mind forever.

Johann
03-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Mel Brooks said this exchange never made it into the movie:

*in the dark*:

Madeline Kahn: Is it true what they say about black men?

*sound of zipper*

Madeline Kahn: It's twoo! It's twoo!

Cleavon Little: Baby, You're sucking on my arm.

pipsorcle
03-24-2003, 02:47 AM
I'm giving the entire dialog away just so you guys can understand what's going on

Gilbert, Lewis, and Booger are getting their food plates at their temporary home in the gym

Gilbert: Hey Lewis, I met a girl today.
Lewis: Gilbert... That's great!
Gilbert: Her name's Judy.
Lewis: Judy's a nice name Gilbert!
Gilbert: Yeah, she's a nice girl.
Booger: Big deal! Did you get in her pants?
Gilbert: She's not that kind of girl, Booger.
Booger: Why does she have a penis?

JustaFied
03-29-2003, 12:49 PM
These lines from "Rushmore" stick in my mind:

Bloom (Bill Murray): "What's the secret, Max?"

Max (Jason Schwartzman): "The secret?"

Bloom: "Yeah, you seem to have it pretty well figured out".

Max: "Well, I guess you have to find something you love and do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore".

And you really wonder if Max fully comprehends that Rushmore is only a high school, from which people graduate and move on.

cinemabon
04-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Katherine Hepburn playing Catherine of Aquataine (?), from "The Lion in Winter" (1968):

"Every family has its ups and downs"

(spoken after King Henry, Peter O'Toole finds out all three of his sons are plotting his over-throw)

The only tie in Academy history that year for Best Actress.

And she's still alive...

Who did she tie with? As my mammy used to say, "Look it up!"

oscar jubis
04-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Neither Ms. Hepburn nor Ms. Streisand deserved to win, in my humble. How about Julie Christie in Petulia or Tuesday Weld in Pretty Poison? Ms. Woodward for Rachel, Rachel?

stevetseitz
04-01-2003, 09:08 PM
"The Lion in Winter"-----------------------------------------------------

Prince John: Poor John. Who says poor John? Don't everybody sob at once! My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who'd pee on me to put the fire out!

Prince Richard: Let's strike a flint and see.

"Lawrence of Arabia"----------------------------------------------------

T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will not come to Aqaba. Not for money...

Auda Abu Tayi: No.

T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...

Auda Abu Tayi: No!

T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will come... because it is his pleasure.

[Pause]

Auda Abu Tayi: Thy mother mated with a scorpion.

"Seven Samurai:----------------------------------------------------------

Kikuchiyo: What do you think of farmers? You think they're saints? Hah! They're foxy beasts! They say, "We've got no rice, we've no wheat. We've got nothing!" But they have! They have everything! Dig under the floors! Or search the barns! You'll find plenty! Beans, salt, rice, cake! Look in the valleys, they've got hidden warehouses! They pose as saints but are full of lies! If they smell a battle, they hunt the defeated! They're nothing but stingy, greedy, blubbering, foxy, and mean! God damn it all! But then who made them such beasts? You did! You samurai did it! You burn their villages! Destroy their farms! Steal their food! Force them to labour! Take their women! And kill them if they resist! So what should farmers do?

fuzzy_nolan
05-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Brian: You're all individuals!

Crowd (in unison): Yes, we're all individuals!

----------

Jessica Rabbit: I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

----------

Walter: Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Ilker81x
05-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Whether you like this movie or not (let's face it, it's not too far away from John Cusack's other performances...I love it because I too am a music snob, so it's a personal thing for me), you have to admit it's got some great quotes.

Man: I'm looking for a record for my daughter..."I Just Called to Say I Love You." Do you have it?

Jack Black: Yeah. We have it.

Man: Good, good. Can I buy it, then?

Jack Black: Noooo. No.

Man: Why not?

Jack Black: Because it's sentimental, tacky crap! Do we look like the kind of store that would sell, "I Just Called to Say I Love You"? Go to the mall.

Man: What is your problem?

Jack Black: Do you even know your daughter?! There's no way in hell she likes that song! Oh wait, I'm sorry...is she in a coma?

Johann
05-10-2003, 04:22 AM
A scene from Wes Anderson's film that had me howling with laughter:

*morning, Tenenbaum kitchen *

Royal: "Can I ask you a question, Hank?"

Henry: "Ok"

Royal: "Are you tryin' to move in on my woman?"

Henry: "I beg your pardon?"

Royal "You heard me, Coltrane"

Henry: "Did you just call me Coltrane?"

Royal: "No"

Henry: "Yes you did, you just called me Coltrane!"

*uncomfortable pause *

Royal "BUT IF I DID......there ain't nothin' you could do about it, is there?"

Henry: "What?"

Royal: "You wanna talk some jive??!!- I'll talk some jive LIKE YOU NEVER HEARD!"

absolutely classic..

JustaFied
05-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Also love the scene in Tenebaums when Chaz gets shot by his dad when they're playing some sort of bee-bee gun game against Ritchie and Eli. Chaz: "But you're on my team!"; Royal (Dad), laughing: "There are no teams!".

Life's lesson there.

Also, "The Big Lebowski" is filled with at least 10 all time greatest lines. "He doesn't care about anything, he's a nihilist" - "Oh, that must be exhausting".

rocketrogerhood
05-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by JustaFied
These lines from "Rushmore" stick in my mind:

Bloom (Bill Murray): "What's the secret, Max?"

Max (Jason Schwartzman): "The secret?"

Bloom: "Yeah, you seem to have it pretty well figured out".

Max: "Well, I guess you have to find something you love and do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore".

And you really wonder if Max fully comprehends that Rushmore is only a high school, from which people graduate and move on.

My fav line from Rushmore is:

Bloom: She was my Rushmore, Max.
Max: She was mine too.

rocketrogerhood
05-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Johann
A scene from Wes Anderson's film that had me howling with laughter:

*morning, Tenenbaum kitchen *

Royal: "Can I ask you a question, Hank?"

Henry: "Ok"

Royal: "Are you tryin' to move in on my woman?"

Henry: "I beg your pardon?"

Royal "You heard me, Coltrane"

Henry: "Did you just call me Coltrane?"

Henry: "Yes you did, you just called me Coltrane!"

*uncomfortable pause *

Royal "BUT IF I DID......there ain't nothin' you could do about it, is there?"

Henry: "What?"

Royal: "You wanna talk some jive??!!- I'll talk some jive LIKE YOU NEVER HEARD!"

absolutely classic..

I agree, this exchange was priceless.

stevetseitz
05-15-2003, 03:48 AM
I think just about all of "The Big Lebowski", "The Lion in Winter" and "The Blues Brothers".

Ilker81x
05-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Two great exchanges in the jail scene...

#1)
Kevin Pollak: Fuck who did it! What I wanna know is who's the gimp?

Gabriel Byrne: His name is Verbal...Verbal Kint.

Kevin Spacey: Roger, really. People say I talk too much.

Kevin Pollak: Yeah, I was just about to tell you to shut up!

#2)
Benicio Del Toro: They goddamn fingered my asshole tonight!

Kevin Pollak: Is it Friday already?

oscar jubis
05-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Jane Russell to Marilyn Monroe:
If we can't empty his pockets between us, we're not worthy of the name Woman

FilmWolf
06-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Here's a few favorites of mine (slightly paraphrased in spots):

"If God could do the things we do, he'd be a happy man!"- Peter O'Toole in "The Stunt Man"

"According to you, everything I like to do is either illegal, immoral or fattening"
- W.C. Fields in "Tillie and Gus"

"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!!"
- Peter O' Toole in "My Favorite Year"

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily" - John Belushi to Stephen Furst in
"Animal House"

FW

pipsorcle
06-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Upon talking about his experiences working on the failed show, "Wha Happened?" the New Main Street Singers' manager, Mike LaFonatine (Fred Willard) confesses....

"But the show lasted only a year and that's good because that's how you establish a cult."

Fred Willard is a funny guy.

Ricardo
06-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Whatever Happened To baby Jane

-You wouldnt treat me like this if i wasnt in this chair.
-But you are in the chair Blanche, yer are

HorseradishTree
07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Might as well revive this thread:

"Glooph is not a letter, sir."
Craig Schwartz from Being John Malkovich.

BritishSteel
07-24-2003, 08:33 PM
You guys are so hardcore about movies...

I am not at all hardcore about movies

I guess thats why I feel really left out here... to exemplify how not hardcore I am about movies, my favourite lines are

"Your Mother is a Hampster and you father smelled of elderberried"

and

The whole thing about..... "Bring out the holy hand grenade".

Hilarious.

Thanks,

Charles

HorseradishTree
07-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Damn. Am I really hardcore? Is that a good thing? Oh well, the chicks don't flock to the nerds anyway. Here's another one:

"I am a great magician! Your clothes are red!"
Betty from Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I don't know why, but this movie just made me laugh so freakin' hard. I sure love stupid stuff.

Ilker81x
07-25-2003, 07:10 AM
BritishSteel...kudos on the Monty Python quote! Awesome movie...

My favorite quote from that movie...

"Look you stupid bastard, you got no arms left!!!"

As for being hardcore about movies...of course! That's what this site is about. I mean, c'mon...this is a site devoted to movie forums. It stands to reason that a good percentage of the participants are gonna be more into movies than just the average, saw a movie, talk about it at dinner type of conversation.

BritishSteel
07-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Ilker81x wrote "It stands to reason that a good percentage of the participants are gonna be more into movies than just the average, saw a movie, talk about it at dinner type of conversation."

Oh I realize that, but can we not all hug and be friends?

Johann
07-25-2003, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BritishSteel

Oh I realize that, but can we not all hug and be friends? [QUOTE]

(Speaking for myself)
I am "hardcore". No doubt, no argument.

But! I am willing to try to "hug" those who are not as dedicated to the art form as I. Just show me something. (i.e. appreciation that i should have caught, obscure info, enthusiasm)

This is why I have great respect for Docraven, Oscar Jubis, Chris Knipp, Cinemabon, et al who not only take perspectives that others do not see, but punch their posts with a confident intelligence that is not found anywhere on the net.
This is why I love this site, and why I think it will be a major source of "all things movies' in due time.

{We already are, but the world at large doesn't know it yet}

HorseradishTree
07-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Um, yeah...I guess.

I just like the site because in my life there's no one to really talk to about the films I see. I don't care if they're "hardcore" or just someone into a day at the theater, I just want to talk. Jeez, this is getting too mushy and Hollywood-ish. Here's another friggin' quote:

"That's what I like about them high school girls, man. I get older...and they stay the same age, hehe."
Wooderson, from Dazed and Confused.

bix171
07-27-2003, 12:33 AM
From "The ten Commandments", a defeated and devastated Ramses:

"His God...is God."

BritishSteel
07-27-2003, 09:45 AM
How about Good Will Humping err.. Hunting? (I was getting confused with the other movie in my VCR) ;)

To many other people this movie was stinky, but I liked it, It felt lively but tragic, much like my own utterly confusing life.

The quote I love is when Will (Matt Damon [cue teenage girls screaming]) goes back to the coffee shop/diner or whatever and yells through the window "Do you like apples!? Do you like apples!? [pressing scrap of paper against window] Well I got her number! How do you like those apples!"

Good stuff

Shalom,

Charles

cinemabon
07-31-2003, 11:44 AM
He was the king of one liners, like:

"I'll have a lemonade... in a dirty glass!" from "Road to Utopia"

But my favorite scene is from the same picture when Hope and Crosby are on a dog sled. Hope looks over at a mountain and says:

"Just look at that bread and butter over there!"

"Why that's just a mountain..."

(at which the familiar arch of stars appear over the mountain)

"Well it may be a mountain to you, but it's bread and butter to me!"

Bob, from so many of us who have admired your comic sense of timing in so many films down through the years, we just want to say: Thanks for that memory!

Ilker81x
07-31-2003, 01:42 PM
Amen...R.I.P.

Johann
07-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ilker81x
Amen...R.I.P.

I second that motion. While Bob didn't impact me in any giant way, I acknowledge that he is a class act who dedicated his life to entertaining the masses. (Most importantly, to military troops decades over)

I'm sure he's trading barbs with Bing as we speak...

HorseradishTree
07-31-2003, 11:15 PM
While I don't think I ever saw anything with Mr. Hope in it, I still know of the impact he had on the world. The man truly was a performer, and I know he'll forever be an unforgettable icon.

cinemabon
08-05-2003, 02:59 AM
Since we are posthumously sharing tributes... there are so many Katherine Hepburn lines that slay me... however, after watching "Lion in Winter" again the other night, I have a new Kathrine Hepburn favorite:

Holding up a huge, long, golden necklace in front of her mirror, she wistfully says:

"I'd hang you from the nipples, but we don't want to frighten the children, now, do we?"

Sailing on winds across the stars, with sunlight forever on your most beautiful face...

A sad farewell to the charm, wit, and grace...

leaving us alone in this dreadful place...

Johann
09-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Here's another exchange that kills me:

Granny Tucker: "You'll all look down on my cold, dead face in that country pine box. You'll be sorry then, maybe."

Nona Tucker: "You keep on promising, Granny. You don't never deliver the goods."

Johann
11-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Incredible scene from Apocalypse Now:

Kurtz: Are you an assassin?
Willard: I'm a soldier.
Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy. Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.
What did they tell you?
Willard: That you had gone insane and that your methods are unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, Sir.

Trachtenberg
12-08-2003, 04:35 PM
this scene is from the old folks nursing home and the caretaker guy is using the old folks as slaves for making money by getting them to sew blankets.

Caretaker: ``come on marty, these are hand made quality sh*t we`re talking about here...200 ok good doing buisness with you``.

turns his cellphone off and turns round and says to the old folks ``ok turn your hearing aid`s up i`ve an announcement to make, we`re extending art`s and crafts by 4 hours today``.

to which an old lady replies ``but my fingers hurt`` and the caretaker guy says ``what was that dear`` she says ``my fingers hurt``.

caretaker: ``well now your back is gonna hurt cause you just pulled landscaping duty, bet that`ll learn you to keep your mouth shut``.

Johann
12-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Here's a story from Peter Bogdanovich, a Welles confidante, about Sir Orson, in which he hailed a cab. It's not a movie scene, but it could have been.

Orson gets into the back of the cab, hands the driver the directions to where he's going, and loudly shouts in a serious voice: AND A GOLD DUBLOON IF YOU GET US THERE BY MIDNIGHT!!!

Raoul
12-30-2003, 04:54 PM
From Raising Arizona AND The Huddsucker Proxy:

"Yeah, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a hoppin'."

From Easy Rider:

Billy: "Well, Wyatt, We're Rich. (laughter) we did it ! You're retired to Florida now, mister..."

Captain America: "No, Billy. We blew it."

Raoul
01-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Donny: Phone's ringin', Dude.

Walter: Lady, I've got buddies who died face down in the muck so that you and me can sit here and enjoy this family restaurant. I'm finishing my coffee.

Raoul
01-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Ilker81x
Two great exchanges in the jail scene...

#1)
Kevin Pollak: Fuck who did it! What I wanna know is who's the gimp?

Gabriel Byrne: His name is Verbal...Verbal Kint.

Kevin Spacey: Roger, really. People say I talk too much.

Kevin Pollak: Yeah, I was just about to tell you to shut up!

#2)
Benicio Del Toro: They goddamn fingered my asshole tonight!

Kevin Pollak: Is it Friday already?

Cop: We can put you in Queens on the night of the hijacking....

Tod Hockney: Really? I live in Queens. Did you come up with that yourself, Einstein? What, have you got a team of monkeys working around the clock?

oscar jubis
01-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise at a toy store on Christmas Eve.

NK: hm what do I think we should do?
Maybe I think...
We should be grateful.
Grateful that we've managed to survive through all of our...adventures...whether they were real or only a dream.

TC: Are you sure of that?

NK: Only as sure as I am that the reality of one night...
let alone that of a whole lifetime...
can ever be the whole truth.

TC: and no dream is ever just a dream

NK: The important thing is we're awake now and hopefully for a long time to come.

TC: Forever.

NK: Forever?

TC: Forever.

NK: Let's not use that word, you know?
It frightens me... but I do love you and...
there is something very important that we need to do as soon as possible.

TC: What's that?

NK: Fuck.

Raoul
01-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Incidentally, the title is borrowed from Casablanca.

Cop: Do you know what happens if you do another turn in the joint?

Tod Hockney:.....(thinking) I fuck your father in the shower and then go have a snack? Are You gonna charge me, dickhead?

-

Mcmanus (wide eyed): What truck?

Cop: The truck with the guns, fucko.

Danny: Fucko? Oooooo.

-

Cop: Well, your buddy Mcmanus told us a different story.

Fenster: Is that the one about the hooker with the dissentary?

ArpHagenbach
01-18-2004, 07:23 PM
You don't have to lick my ass, just fuck me.

- Femme Fatale

Ilker81x
01-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Jack Nicholson just had a plethora of great lines in that movie.

"How do you write women so well?"

"I think of a man...and I take away reason and accountability."

anduril
02-06-2004, 08:26 PM
"If the gold 's not here, it's gotta be somewhere else."

--Chuck Norris, Firewalker.

Johann
02-07-2004, 02:26 AM
Good one, Ken. *wipes tears from eyes* funny shit.

How about this jewel of a line from Days of Thunder:
(Randy Quaid to Cruise)

"You made us look like a monkey fucking a football out there!"

JustaFied
03-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Just watched "Intolerable Cruelty" again. I love the Coen Brothers, they write some of the funniest and wittiest stuff I've seen.

Billy Bob Thorton's character is a hoot:
BBT: "I went to Texas A&M"
Clooney: "Oh, business?"
BBT: "No, tight end".

And then, speaking at his own wedding, just after tying the knot with Katherine Zeta-Jones, he starts to get emotional:

"I love you, really. I love you like a son-of-a-bitch".

That line had me on the floor.

Raoul
03-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Raoul Duke (VO):

"....but only for those with true grit..."

Cut back to Raoul talking to the Hitchiker in the back seat of the Red Shark - wild eyed in his acapulco shirt with the cigarette holder clenched in his teeth

".... and we're CHOCK FULL of that, Man!"