PDA

View Full Version : Agent Cody Banks

bix171
03-16-2003, 01:25 AM
MGM delivers its entry into the “Spy Kids” sweepstakes but the studio’s own James Bond series is the real influence in Harald Zwart’s adolescent spy picture, crammed as it is with explosive destructions of secret lairs, ski chases and cool gadgets. Yet, like the later Bond films, what it doesn’t have is a whole lot of heart or care put into it—which is precisely where it differs from the warmth and originality of the family-focused “Spy Kids” series. Everything seems slapdash and rushed, designed to do little more than cash in. Frankie Muniz (of television’s “Malcolm In The Middle”) is the title character, a teenage CIA operative mentored by sexy ball buster Angie Harmon and assigned to develop a relationship with the daughter of a scientist (Hilary Duff, the Disney Channel’s “Lizzy McGuire”) being held by the bad guys. There’s really nothing much to offend or involve anyone (which is odd because two of the writers, the team of Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, are responsible for some smart, funny screenplays, including “Ed Wood” and “The People Vs. Larry Flynt”) and there are virtually no good laughs—it barely seems to want to take advantage of even the single obvious running joke, namely teenage ogling of the voluptuous Harmon. Muniz and Duff are likable enough and Keith David, as Muniz’ and Harmon’s boss, provides hammy support but they’re hardly reasons to plunk down nine bucks at the megaplex.

Johann
03-16-2003, 03:26 PM
I usually don't watch TV as a rule- I hate commercials- and Malcolm in the Middle is another show in a long list that I hate. It is designed to entertain uneducated people who live in suburbia. With regards to "Agent Cody Banks", I rolled my eyes when I saw the trailer. Frankie Muniz? How is this annoying goof appealing? I would rather watch
paint dry. I'm in shock that this was written by the writers of Ed Wood. In TOTAL shock. This flick is mindless drivel that is the no-name version of Spy Kids. Thanks for the info, Bix.