PDA

View Full Version : Nicole Wins Herself A Best Actress Oscar

tabuno
03-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Finally, on the second try, Nicole Kidman gets her Oscar for best actress - a ultimate come back of sorts from a terrible past few years. With mother and daughter to share her win, Nicole is back. Whether, Virginia Woolfe would be proud or not is another matter. Whether lesbians are hopeful is another matter. But regardless, The Hours deserved some recognition, including Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep for their ensemble performance as part of a trio of women tied together through time. The Hours, in part controversial, in part slowly boring to some, hateful for others, this substantive drama played out some excellent emotional turmoils on screen and promoted discussion and real conversation about real issues that dealt with the past and the present.

Johann
04-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Yes, Nicole got her oscar. In my opinion she's done it all in her *relatively* brief career.

Come what may, (pardon the pun) she has nothing to prove now. The fact that she'll probably blaze on is just warming to the soul...Her next film is DOGVILLE directed by Lars von Trier. Am I excited? uh, yeah.

Neoraptor25
04-06-2003, 07:00 AM
As mesmerizing as her performance was, (i saw the film just last night) i still think that Julianne Moore should have won at least for Supporting Actress. If you just take a look at her film choices, which range from the Coens and Neil Jordan to Todd Haynes and P.T Anderson, regardless some terrible mistakes (Evolution, anyone?), you'd realise that it is so unfair that an actress of her class has not won an Academy Award yet...

oscar jubis
04-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Seems like an appropriate time to pay homage to the career choices and performances of Ms. Moore. These are must-sees:

2002 FAR FROM HEAVEN (Haynes)
2002 THE HOURS (Daldry)
1999 END OF THE AFFAIR (Jordan)
1999 MAGNOLIA (Anderson)
1999 COOKIE'S FORTUNE (Altman)
1998 BIG LEBOWSKI (Coen)
1997 BOOGIE NIGHTS (Anderson)
1995 SAFE (Haynes)
1994 VANYA ON 42nd STREET (Malle)
1993 SHORT CUTS (Altman)