PDA

View Full Version : My Top-5 of all time

Neoraptor25
04-05-2003, 02:00 AM
You'd probably be surprised not to see Citizen Kane or Gone With the Wind in it, but almost all my favorite films were made in the '90s:
1. Magnolia
2. Se7en
3. The Remains Of The Day
4. Quiz Show
5. Breakfast At Tiffany's

Johann
04-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Strange list, but I like it.

You must explain why Magnolia tops Seven Samurai or A Clockwork Orange, for example.

Neoraptor25
04-06-2003, 06:53 AM
That i'm afraid i cannot explain. You see, this classification is directly related to how each of these films made me feel and still make me feel after watching them. It has nothing to do with their artistic value; Of course The Godfather or Clockwork Orange or Seven Samurai are superior films. But none of them had as much an impact on me , psychologically speaking, as much as Magnolia.

oscar jubis
04-06-2003, 10:30 AM
It's cool to figure out what is it about a film that makes me feel a certain way. But it's important to figure out what is it about me that responds to a given image or film. Can I learn about me from my reaction to art?

Johann
04-06-2003, 02:59 PM
I am curious why/how Magnolia impacted you psychologically.

Speaking of personal reactions to movies, does it reveal a level of one's personality when they choose a 'best' film? I mean, in my case, Barry Lyndon affected me on more levels than any other film I've seen. I don't have anything that has happened to me in childhood or since that REMOTELY relates to anything during Napoleon's time. Why does this flick have such importance to me? I don't know. I DO want the DVD buried with me when I expire, tho. There is no greater film yet made in my eyes. Many come very close. I have silent rage when I read about the dismissal of "Barry". (and there have been thousands of dismissals)

Neoraptor25
04-07-2003, 02:22 PM
It was noon as far as i remember. I rented Magnolia because i'd read it was great and i didn't have the chance to see it at the cinema. It's a 189 min. film and yet i stayed on and watched, almost "magnetized" by it's beauty. I don't know why, but for the first time i almost felt sympathy for the characters. All of'em, each and every one of them; Their regrets, their anger , their fear, their desperation and yet their struggle for redemption. The very last frame where Melora Walters turns to the camera and smiles, got me practically in tears and still does, every time i'm playing it on my DVD player and in my head.
That goes to Breakfast At Tiffany's as well for that matter..The last scene in the rain ... the cat...Holly (A.Hepburn) finally surrendering to love... Moon River...still makes me sob.

But the question is...are our favorite films really the ones that make us cry? (God i sound like Carrie Bradshaw...)