CODE UNKNOWN (HANEKE)
FAITHLESS (ULLMANN)
ELOGE D’AMOUR (GODARD)
A WINTER’S TALE (ROHMER)
LOIN (TÉCHINÉ)
LAMUMBA (PECK)

Johann
03-24-2004, 01:09 AM
You didn't like Baz Luhrmann's tribute to bohemian Paris?
Or what about Amelie & The Royal Tenenbaums?

I like all your other choices, tho.

oscar jubis
03-28-2004, 11:45 AM
There's a "Favorites of 2001" thread where I posted my typical lists separating foreign and english language films:
www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112

Below is a combined list built around my definition of masterpiece: a film that repays repeat viewings with new excitement and insight. The top two are simply masterpieces. The next five are "likely" masterpieces. The last five films are so accomplished their minor flaws and limitations are not even worth mentioning.

IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE
MULHOLLAND DRIVE
AMORES PERROS
APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX
CODE UNKNOWN
DIVIDED WE FALL
EUREKA
A.I.
THE CIRCLE
GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOSFORD PARK
LORD OF THE RINGS

I'd like to highlight two films. George Washington, the debut film from my favorite Young American director, David Gordon Green. It got even less distribution than 2003's All The Real Girls, but thankfully the folks at Criterion realized what an original, unique film it is.

Shinji Aoyama's Eureka is likely to end up on dvd given the delirious press it got from New York critics and the worldwide reception. Gorgeous b&w long takes lead to a very moving conclusion to a story about resilience and adaptation to trauma. The import dvd is easy to find on ebay but you'd have to trust that our tastes coincide.

Chris, your list in the old thread has In the mood for Love atop your foreign list. (?) By the way, This list was made according to North American release date not world premiere date (like IMDb).

Chris Knipp
03-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Johan: I usually really like the visual richness of Luhrmann but found Moulin Rouge far too busy and irritating; it tried too hard and left the final impression of just being a lot of campy noise. Royal Tannenbaums seemed too cute to me, though I may not have given it a chance and should re-see it. Amelie is certainly a well oiled machine but struck me as over-produced and intollerably saccherine and cutesy; Audrey Tautou's performance in Dirty Pretty Things shows her essential limitation. All three of these movies would be in a category I usually include now in my year's end list: Most Overrated, and that's why I just didn't mention them in my list for the year back then.

Oscar: Interesting set of categories and list. You can be my editor. You're right about the release date thing, as usual. The list I posted here must have been an earlier draft, at which time I had not yet seen In the Mood for Love. I certainly would agree that it, and anything by Wong Kar Wai, can be enjoyed over and over. I suppose Mulholland Drive is in that category for those who have not become disaffected with Lynch for his failure to tell coherent stories. For me it's therefore another Overrated item. Lynch however is very like Wong in the emphasis on style. I haven't yet seen Eureka and can't seem to remember even hearing of Divided We Fall. Or do you mean Divided We Stand, which I haven't seen either? I don't share your passion for David Gordon Green, not yet anyway. I couldn't bear the unremittingly grim The Circle, and seem to have this problem with a lot of Iranian films. I'm glad you allow the much maligned A.I. into the charmed circle.

oscar jubis
03-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Chris Knipp
can't seem to remember even hearing of Divided We Fall. Or do you mean Divided We Stand, which I haven't seen either?

I was surprised you hadn't heard of Divided We Fall so I looked into the box office for this Oscar nominee from the Czech Rep. A paltry 1.3 million!! I've come to the realization that films that appeal to Jewish, Latino and Gay audiences do much better here than in the country as a whole. Maybe this story about a small-town young couple hiding a Jew from nazi collaborators didn't even open in some markets. Jan Hrebejk concocts a fusion of black comedy and humanist drama that enhances rather than dilutes either ingredient. Accesible without being facile. Moving without being sentimental. With enough heart to grant a modicum of humanity to the villains. Top of your "To Rent" list, I'd suggest.

Chris Knipp
03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Those markets are all strong here; I think it was showing at some point, but maybe not for long, and without any "buzz." I don't see everything.

oscar jubis
04-01-2004, 10:45 PM
One film I recommend you watch is the March 2001 release from Brasil called Me, You, Them. It uses widescreen compositions to take advantage of the Northeast Brasil landscape. It's ravishing, with a rather bold story about a mother-earth type who builds a functional family unit with three husbands living under the same roof. The arrangement has an internal logic. The music is by Gilberto Gil. Performances by all the principals are outstanding, effortless. The humor translates well and the whole experience will put a smile on your face.

Howard Schumann
04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
BEST OF 2001

1. Yi Yi
2. Chunhyang
3. A.I.
4. The Circle
5. I'm Going Home
6. Son of the Bride
7. Royal Tenenbaums
8. Beijing Bicycle
9. Donnie Darko
10. L.I.E.

oscar jubis
04-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Howard Schumann
BEST OF 2001

1. Yi Yi

A wonderful film from Edward Yang. The Shanghai-born, Taipei-raised director is a major exponent of the Taiwan New Wave. I love YiYi (AKA and a one and a two...) but I have it listed on my 2000 Top 10, since it was released in September of that year in the USA.

My favorite movie directed by Edward Yang is 1991's A Brighter Summer Day, as good as Hou masterpieces like The Puppetmaster and Flowers of Shanghai. I couldn't find it in any format other than the inferior VCD. C'est la vie.

Howard Schumann
04-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
Originally posted by Howard Schumann
BEST OF 2001

1. Yi Yi

A wonderful film from Edward Yang. The Shanghai-born, Taipei-raised director is a major exponent of the Taiwan New Wave. I love YiYi (AKA and a one and a two...) but I have it listed on my 2000 Top 10, since it was released in September of that year in the USA.

My favorite movie directed by Edward Yang is 1991's A Brighter Summer Day, as good as Hou masterpieces like The Puppetmaster and Flowers of Shanghai. I couldn't find it in any format other than the inferior VCD. C'est la vie. I have long wanted to see that film but it is unavailable here in Vancouver. Actually I did dream I was watching the film (A Brighter Summary Day) but don't remember anything about the plot. If you know where I can get a copy, please let me know.

oscar jubis
04-06-2004, 06:20 PM
You have two options right now, on ebay. Both use the same print: somewhat used but widescreen, with burned (not removable) English AND Chinese subtitles. You can spend as little as US $10 for the vcd (4 video discs lasting about one hour each) or buy the harder to find dvd (2 digital discs of 2 hrs. each) that sells for $21 and up. The dvd version has better definition, same print. I want to think we live in a world in which a work of art like A Brighter Summer Day will eventually get a proper home release. I bought the vcd.

Howard Schumann
04-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
You have two options right now, on ebay. Both use the same print: somewhat used but widescreen, with burned (not removable) English AND Chinese subtitles. You can spend as little as US $10 for the vcd (4 video discs lasting about one hour each) or buy the harder to find dvd (2 digital discs of 2 hrs. each) that sells for $21 and up. The dvd version has better definition, same print. I want to think we live in a world in which a work of art like A Brighter Summer Day will eventually get a proper home release. I bought the vcd. Thanks. I'll check it out.

EarlXX
04-12-2004, 08:00 AM
I personally think 2001 is one of the weakest years for movies in general in ages. I still have to see a few major ones, such as Monsters Ball, but of what I have seen, there hasn't been that many true standouts.

I always do my own version of the Oscars, and I still have two slots left open for best picture. What are included are Black Hawk Down, Iris and Fellowship Of The Ring

For what its worth, heres my top ten...

1. Black Hawk Down
2. Fellowship Of The Ring
3. Iris

(from here on, its really good films, but nothing excellent...on a better year, none of them may have made the list)
4. Training Day
5. Gosford Park
6. Bridget Jones's Diary
7. In The Bedroom
8. Memento
9. Royal Tennebaums
10. Sexy Beast

Here comes assorted 2001 ramblings...

Are there actually many people who think Beautiful Mind deserved to win best picture, or even be nominated? Sure, it was okay, and Crowe was fantastic, but it was overblown, over-glossy and uneven.

Moulin Rouge was amazing from a technical point of view, but its more of a freakshow than a movie. Thats not really an insult, but it was so outrageous that I found it impossible to get into the thin story because it was pushed into the background, you know?

While I'm at it, heres my personal picks for the Oscar categories...and I can nominate those who weren't up for Oscars.

Picture: Black Hawk Down
Director: Ridley Scott
Actor: Jim Broadbent, Iris (he had as much screen time as Judi Dench)
Actress: Judi Dench
Supporting actor: Ben Kinglsey, Sexy Beast
Supporting actress: Maggie Smith, Gosford Park (wow...a lot of Brits kicking it so far, huh?)
Original screenplay: not too sure yet...maybe Gosford Park
Adapted screenplay: Iris
Cinematography: Moulin Rouge
Art direction: Moulin Rouge
Editing: Black Hawk Down
Sound: Black Hawk Down (I combine the two sound catergories...honestly, who can tell them apart? hehe)
Costume design: Moulin Rouge
Makeup: Planet Of The Apes (why the hell wasn't this nominated?)
Visual effects: Lord Of The Rings
Score: Lord Of The Rings
Song: undecided

One last babble....Ethan Hawke was nominated at the Oscars for supporting actor, despite the fact that he had more screen time than Denzel in Training Day, and the story was about Hawke, with the film following him around the entire day...

And now, I select rant mode to Off...

SinjinSB
07-10-2004, 06:53 PM
My Top Ten of 2001
A Beautiful Mind
The Others
Black Hawk Down
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Mostly Martha (Bella Martha)
Dogtown and Z-Boys
i am sam
Das Experiment