PDA

View Full Version : BLOODY SUNDAY is 2002's best film in English

oscar jubis
05-13-2003, 10:26 AM
BLOODY SUNDAY, the Irish/English co-production about the infamous events that took place in Derry, Northern Ireland on 1/30/72, is 2002's best english-language film. The film, while not a Dogme film, abides by most of the dogme rules. The effect is to convey a naturalistic immediacy. Director Greengrass' approach is to stage events and cover them with hand-held cameras. The film allows us to experience the full impact of the tragedy while presenting a balanced viewpoint. We are afforded the complexity of the internal divisions and contradictions within each side. Greengrass and his English producers have lovingly crafted a carefully detailed and extremely moving work.

I am happy to opine that the film loses little in its translation to the small screen. I had the opportunity to watch it in the theatre but I know many did not, since the release was limited to a few markets. Lucky you, the dvd released a coupla weeks ago looks good and includes commentaries, historical background, etc. I would enjoy further discussion of Bloody Sunday.

I can't believe the news today
I can't close my eyes and make it go away
But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up against the wall

Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2

Johann
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I saw the trailer for "Bloody Sunday" and i was very impressed.

I'm sure the film captures the times (it hasn't played here yet), and that U2 song is incredible- "makes you wanna storm the ramparts" to quote Rolling Stone. I look forward to this most political of films- feels like it was inspired by Alan Parker..

oscar jubis
05-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Johann
I'm sure the film captures the times
It does. But what was most difficult to capture was its place. Apparently Derry looks too prosperous nowadays so Derry residents who serve as extras were bused to a depressed section of Dublin, where the film was shot.

bootleg10879
05-20-2003, 10:26 AM
I was lucky enough to see this film in the theatre, and it was intense. No one got up until after the credits were over. Everyone just sat there, listened to U2, and stared at the screen.

oscar jubis
05-20-2003, 11:28 AM
You were lucky that the film was playing near you but I give you credit for figuring out that Bloody Sunday was worth your time and money. The film grossed a paltry $768K in U.S.A. during 15 weeks. My screening's audience reacted with stunned respect for the intense depiction of events. I was sad to learn Bloody Sunday did not qualify for academy nominations(because it premiered on tv, I believe). A couple of likely nominations would have probably earned the movie some advertisement dollars.