my favs
5 Sweet and Lowdown
4 Take the Money and Run
3 Manhattan
2 Crimes and Misdemeanors
1 Hannah and her Sisters

oscar jubis
05-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I am a fan. I have seen all 34 Allen features at the theatre except Tiger Lily and Take the Money. At the end of the 70s I included Annie Hall and Manhattan in my top 10 films of 70s (english language). I continue to see his films on opening week even though the last Allen I consider very good is 1994's Bullets over Broadway. In a weird way, I am looking forward to squirming at the sight of Allen(67) kissing Cristina Ricci(22), pissing off dad(D.DeVito) and breaking Jason Biggs' heart in Anything Else. Woody Allen's major gifts are of course his witty one-liners and hilarious sight gags. I adore his taste in pre-bepop jazz; and many of his films (Stardust Memories, Manhattan, Radio Days) feature breathtaking cinematography. I developed tremendous sympathy towards the Allen persona -neurotic, unattractive, horny and "culture-hungry"- when I was a teenager.

No other person has given me more laughs and this is how I thank him: I no longer consider Annie Hall and Manhattan to be masterpieces, after more recent viewings. Other favorites like Radio Days, Purple Rose of Cairo and Hanna have depreciated slightly. On the other hand, I'm glad to see Stardust Memories, Allen's then-maligned, autobiographical remake of 8 1/2 get some respect after its dvd release.

treadman
05-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Allen's best films (number is spot on Ten Best list if applicable)

60s
TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN (#4)

70s
SLEEPER (#7)
LOVE AND DEATH (#9)
INTERIORS (#3)
MANHATTAN (#10)

80s
STARDUST MEMORIES (#2)
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE (#10)
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (#1)
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (#1)
RADIO DAYS (#1)
ANOTHER WOMAN (#6)
CRIMES AND MISDEMANORS (#1)

90s
SHADOWS AND FOG (#10)
HUSBANDS AND WIVES (#10)
MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (#10)
BULLETS OVER BROADWAY (#10)
MIGHTY APHRODITE (#9)
CELEBRITY (#3)

2000s
SMALL TIME CROOKS (#7)

Johann
05-16-2003, 11:41 PM
I loathed the day when someone would mention Woody Allen.

I've only seen three Allen features: Annie Hall, Mighty Aphrodite and The Curse of The Jade Scorpion.
Based on these three (which I liked), I am hesitant to explore this highly regarded director's ouvre. I guess I feel the same way about Allen as Greenaway felt about Bergman: "I have to see his pictures, but I dread the thought". Don't ask me why. I guess I'm just out of sympathy with someone who doesn't "blow me away" a la Kubrick or Malick. I respect Woody, but like Hitchcock, he doesn't inspire me.

oscar jubis
05-17-2003, 12:32 AM
Allen is no Kubrick, but if ever so inclined you may appreciate the b&w cinematography by Gordon Willis in Manhattan and Stardust Memories. The latter of interest to Felliniphiles.
Will Johann be able to resist the allure of Christina Ricci and pass on Allen's Anything Else? Stay tuned.

Johann
05-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Don't say Christina Ricci is in an Allen film.
Don't say it. oscar! She'd better be used .
To quote Forrest Gump: "That's all I got to say about that".

oscar jubis
05-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Danny DeVito and Jason Biggs are cast as Christina's dad and boyfriend, but she wants to do it with the Woodman. Squirm City! Scheduled for September.

treadman
05-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Johann
I loathed the day when someone would mention Woody Allen.

I've only seen three Allen features: Annie Hall, Mighty Aphrodite and The Curse of The Jade Scorpion.
Based on these three (which I liked), I am hesitant to explore this highly regarded director's ouvre. I guess I feel the same way about Allen as Greenaway felt about Bergman: "I have to see his pictures, but I dread the thought". Don't ask me why. I guess I'm just out of sympathy with someone who doesn't "blow me away" a la Kubrick or Malick. I respect Woody, but like Hitchcock, he doesn't inspire me.

Those three are far from his best work. I wholeheartedly recommend his 80s work, which to me is his peak period when he was churning out one great movie after another..the only weak links of that decade are MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY (1982), which is fun but slight, and SEPTEMBER (1987), which doesn't go anywhere for 82 minutes. ANOTHER WOMAN (1988) is a film that needs to be seen more than once to fully capture its' subtle brilliance. I didn't like it the first time I saw it but with repeat viewings I've come to love it.

I always thought ANNIE HALL was just OK. Why it won all those Oscars is a mystery considering that STAR WARS and THE TURNING POINT were nominated and are much better films.

HorseradishTree
05-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I personally prefer his earlier slapstick type work. Favs:

5. Bananas
4. Annie Hall
3. Sleeper
2. Love & Death
1. Take the Money and Run

I crack up every time the chain gang scene comes up in Take the Money.

By the way, those Woody Allen collection box sets are a real bargain.

One last thing: What did you guys think of Interiors? I guess it was well done, but a little too depressing for my tastes. It just wasn't Woodman's style.

oscar jubis
05-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Mr. Allen plays a famous film director in Stardust Memories. In one scene (borrowed from 8 1/2) he is walking and being accosted by people. They ask questions and make comments like: "I used to like you when you made them funny". Allen's way of incorporating a common complaint from critics and audience following the release of Interiors.
Allen has confessed to initially failing to appreciate the genius of Fellini and Bergman. Somewhere during the 70s, they became his favorite directors. He increasingly "borrowed"(or paid homage, if you wish) from these artists-as well as others like the American director Preston Sturges. Just like Stardust Memories channels Fellini, Interiors owes heavily to Igmar Bergman, particularly his grim Oscar-winner Cries and Whispers. I enjoyed Interiors, particularly the performances and Gordon Willis' cinematography, but I cannot find anything original or fresh that Mr. Allen adds to the mix.
If you are a fan of comedy H.T., I'd venture to say you'd enjoy Zelig(1983). Have you seen it? Is Zelig the first "mockumentary"?

treadman
05-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
Mr. Allen plays a famous film director in Stardust Memories. In one scene (borrowed from 8 1/2) he is walking and being accosted by people. They ask questions and make comments like: "I used to like you when you made them funny". Allen's way of incorporating a common complaint from critics and audience following the release of Interiors.
Allen has confessed to initially failing to appreciate the genius of Fellini and Bergman. Somewhere during the 70s, they became his favorite directors. He increasingly "borrowed"(or paid homage, if you wish) from these artists-as well as others like the American director Preston Sturges. Just like Stardust Memories channels Fellini, Interiors owes heavily to Igmar Bergman, particularly his grim Oscar-winner Cries and Whispers. I enjoyed Interiors, particularly the performances and Gordon Willis' cinematography, but I cannot find anything original or fresh that Mr. Allen adds to the mix.
If you are a fan of comedy H.T., I'd venture to say you'd enjoy Zelig(1983). Have you seen it? Is Zelig the first "mockumentary"?

Woody had made an earlier mocumentary in 1969 called TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN..I think he's done two more since ZELIG:
HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992) and SWEET AND LOWDOWN (1999)..the latter film has its moments but overall it didn't impress me much.

INTERIORS has the Bergmanesque style but owes more to Eugene O'Neill (LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT in particular), the American playwright. I thought it was an excellent film but the last third lost focus towards the end.

The most Bergman like of Woody's films is A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY (1982), which practically was a mirror image of SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT (1955)

rocketrogerhood
05-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by treadman
Allen's best films (number is spot on Ten Best list if applicable)

60s
TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN (#4)

70s
SLEEPER (#7)
LOVE AND DEATH (#9)
INTERIORS (#3)
MANHATTAN (#10)

80s
STARDUST MEMORIES (#2)
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE (#10)
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (#1)
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (#1)
RADIO DAYS (#1)
ANOTHER WOMAN (#6)
CRIMES AND MISDEMANORS (#1)

90s
SHADOWS AND FOG (#10)
HUSBANDS AND WIVES (#10)
MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (#10)
BULLETS OVER BROADWAY (#10)
MIGHTY APHRODITE (#9)
CELEBRITY (#3)

2000s
SMALL TIME CROOKS (#7)

You're awfully kind to Woody in the 90's. Husbands and Wives is classic, and Bullets,Mighty, and MMM are all enjoyable, but the rest of your picks are for fans only.

Small Time Crooks was funny until they got rich, and then it all went to hell.

Whats with the Purple Rose of Cairo? I love the woodman, he is by far my favorite filmmaker, but this movie was awfully medicore. Woody Allen has had a number of slight films over the years (Alice, Radio days) which is fine. I just dont understand it being remembered with the likes of Crimes and Misdemanors.

HorseradishTree
05-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis

No, can't say I have. And actually I believe Take the Money is referred to a s a "pseudo-documentary" since most of it is not documentary style at all. Another thing I might inquire your tastes about is Shadows and Fog. I found it cute and light-hearted ironically in a set of dark streets and fog. I found John Cusack's performance to be superb.

oscar jubis
05-25-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree with your whole post H.T. I enjoyed the amiable Shadows and Fog too. This time Allen is operating in German Expressionist mode (those German films made in the 20s and 30s by Lang, Pabst, etc. oozing mood and atmosphere). I found it a pleasure to look at (a scene or two a tad underlit though). I loved the music of Kurt Weill (Mack the knife, 3-penny opera). I found the cameos amusing. I had no problem identifying with the simpatico John Cusack.

tabuno
05-26-2003, 11:34 AM
For a while I liked Woody Allen's movies but after a while I found him to be rather predictable, obnoxious and repeating the same themes over and over and over again. He plays the same character and doesn't seem to possess the depth of other actors in terms of broadening his appeal or talent into other realms of reality or movies. After I caught onto his sense of humor, his repeated rehash of old movies has become quite boring and tired.

HorseradishTree
05-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Probably my favorite Woodman scene is the duel scene from Love and Death. Its slapstick genius mixed with intriguing one-liners just makes it absolutely a joy. I don't think I've laughed so hard at a Woody Allen joke before. Of course my preferences of comedy are absurd, ranging from the stupidly funny Kung Pow to intelligent things like Woody.