PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of Finding Nemo

MickeyMoose15
05-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Released May 30th, 2003

Director: Andrew Stanton

Starring: Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Willem Dafoe, Geoffrey Rush, Allison Janney, Barry Humphries, Brad Garrett, Austin Pendleton, Stephen Root, Vicki Lewis, Joe Ranft, John Ratzenberger, Alexander Gould

Premise: In the colorful and warm tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef, a Clownfish named Marlin lives safe and secluded in a quiet cul-de-sac with his only son, NEMO. Fearful of the ocean and its unpredictable risks, he struggles to protect his son. Nemo, like all young fish, is eager to explore the mysterious reef. When Nemo is unexpectedly taken far from home and thrust into a dentist's office fish tank, Marlin finds himself the unlikely hero on an epic journey to rescue his son. In his quest, Marlin is joined by a good Samaritan named Dory, a Regal Blue Tang fish with the worst short-term memory and biggest heart in the entire ocean. As the two fish continue on their journey, encountering numerous dangers, Dory's optimism continually forces Marlin to find the courage to take risks and overcome his fears. In doing so, Marlin gains the ability to trust and believe, like Dory, that things will work out in the end. Confronting seabirds, sewer systems, and even man himself, father and son's fateful separation ends in triumph. And the once-fearful Marlin becomes a true hero in the eyes of his son, and the entire ocean.

You can always count on a Pixar film to create loads of family fun as parents and children alike take some time off their busy schedules to enjoy another one of their features. They sure have a great record for it. They began with the surprise hit Toy Story, which started the long-standing trend of computer animated films. They followed with A Bug's Life in 1998, Toy Story 2 in 1999 and Monsters Inc. in 2001. Pixar outperforms each of their previous efforts which is very rare in the modern Hollywood scene. Now, after taking a year off, they take audiences to the ocean in Finding Nemo. But how well will the film do? This is the first time a Pixar film has been placed during the summer time (all previous efforts had been released in November) but this allows for more success with children finishing school. Another problem for the film is lack of voice talent. Monsters Inc. had the advantage of John Goodman and Billy Crystal in the leading roles but the voices for this film are less known. This doesn't matter to children but it can be for some adults. The question is whether Finding Nemo can continue Pixar's trend of success or will be the film be sunk by the competition?

The story goes that Marlin, an orange and white striped clownfish, lives with his son Nemo, who has a "lucky" fin that is smaller then his other fin, in the ocean near Australia. Marlin is very cautious after the death of his wife and fears for the safety of his son. He fears so much that follows his son on a field-trip on his first day of school. Nemo, who seems embarrassed by his father's over-protective behavior, swims to a boat as dare to prove that he is not like his father. But this courage gets him in trouble as he is captured by a scuba-diver and taken away to a dentist's office in Australia. Marlin goes on a rapid search for his only son and along the way he meets a variety of colorful characters. Among those are Dory, a blue fish with short-term memory loss, Bruce, a shark who forms a club for vegetarian sharks, and Crush, a surfer talking turtle. Marlin will go to any length to find his son and bring him home even if it means facing his own fears head on. Like all previous films, Finding Nemo's story is far superior to most animated films though, it can be said, it is not totally perfect. Much like A Bug's Life, which was also directed by Andre Stanton, the story tends to drag a bit in parts making it less consistent then Toy Story or Monsters Inc.

As previously stated, the voice cast for Finding Nemo is less well-known then most Pixar films, which gives it another similarity toward A Bug's Life. Albert Brooks gives a perfect timid voice to the character Marlin. Brooks, who is also appearing in the In-Laws currently, deserves more attention for his role in this film then he is currently getting. He presents sarcastic humor at the right time with this characters as well as emotion which makes you feel for him as he struggles to find his son. Ellen DeGeneres is absolutely delightful as the forgetful Dory. The funniest moments in the film come from her characters especially the hilarious scene where she tries to speak whale. Some of the most thought provoking moments come from her character as well, which is ironic coming from a fish with short-term memory loss. William Dafoe is wonderfully cast as Gill, who tries to help Nemo escape from the dentist's office fish-tank. Geoffrey Rush, who stars in Pirates of the Caribbean later this summer, is humorous as the pelican but most of his most funny scenes had been seen in the trailers. And Pixar regular, John Ratzenburg, is great as the school of fish that poke fun at Marlin and teach him to lighten up.

Overall, Finding Nemo is another great film from the folks at Pixar but not their best work. The visuals are the best that have ever been seen in an animated film, that is for sure, but the story is not as hilarious as Monsters Inc. was. The story also tends to drag a bit in parts which makes it quite inconsistent. Finding Nemo also seemed to have a lot more intense scenes then most films aimed toward children, which is better for the older crowd but is sure to frighten some children. But the spectacular visuals, the delightful characters and those Pixar tributes to famous films make this a must-see anyway. The best family film to date and looks to be for quite some time.

My Rating: ****1/2 out of 5 (Grade: A-)

tabuno
06-09-2003, 04:35 AM
This movie never dragged for me and like "Bambi" I think this movie is a serious family movie production that deserves an Oscar nomination for best picture. The rich animation has finally come of its own and rivel live action films and place animation on an equal footing to any live comedy, adventure, children's movie, epic thriller.

MickeyMoose15
06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
I hate to do this but one must compare it to Monsters Inc. Monsters flowed much better then Nemo, I thought.

oscar jubis
06-14-2003, 12:57 AM
FINDING NEMO is clearly the best commercial film in theatres right now. It is the most visually arresting film so far this year, with the possible exception of "Russian Ark". Don't bet on seeing another comedy this witty and lilting. Mr. Brooks and Ms. De Generes deserve kudos for their vocal characterizations. We get parallel odysseys (thus the obligatory cross-cutting) peppered with bizarre bits like dental surgery as object d'voyeurism for fish in an aquarium; and a self-help group for repentant sharks (an homage to a classic, 50s "Sylvester and Tweety" toon short).

Chris Knipp
06-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Oscar Jubis writes:

"Finding Nemo is the best commercial film showing in the theaters right now."

I can almost believe you but I haven't seen it. Have you, however, seen the others as a basis for this statement? Have you seen X-2, Matrix Reloaded, Italian Job, Bruce Almighty? Have you seen Bend It Like Beckham (also a commercial hit)? Are you going to see Hollywood Homicide, the weekend's big opener?

Finding Nemo is certainly commercial. The kids were mobbing it even in the previews. But I'm wondering if there may be some truth in Anthony Lane's New Yorker review this week (June 9, 2003 issue, p. 109):

"I don't want to assign blame here, but was it wise to expend such labor on a film about fish? Here's the main problem with fish: they look like fish. Didn't Pixar learn its lesson from 'A Bug's LIfe,' whose mild dullness could be traced to the fact that most of it was set in an anthill? Insects and fish: the bony extrras of the animal kingdom, inexplicably promoted to leading roles. If Pixar ever got hold of Adam Sandler, I hate to think what would happen."

I'm kind of looking forward to watching Harrison Ford and Josh Hartnett, sturdy examples of homo sapiens (even if the emphasis intentionally this time is somewhat on the "sap" part).

tabuno
06-15-2003, 01:06 PM
To have qualms about a movie because of its fishy concept is to ignore analogy and imagination using symbols to represent and expand on human understanding. To think that Old Yeller or any movies with a predominate animal theme or that sci fi movies which obviously tend towards non-human characterizations should be downgraded just become homo sapiens don't get top billing leaves me stunned. I believe some people know where I'm gonig with this. Perhaps we could look at Don Knotts or 101 Dalmatians, poor Bambi.

HorseradishTree
06-21-2003, 01:58 PM
I personally don't intend to see Finding Nemo until it is rentable. The way I see it, the Pixar movies are decreasing in quality through the years. Toy Story was perfect, and I'm surprised no one has even mentioned that yet.

tabuno
06-21-2003, 04:55 PM
I've seen X-2, Matrix Reloaded, Italian Job, Bruce Almighty as well as Hollywood Homocide and I have to see Finding Nemo dazzles and inspires with its charm, vivid color, amazing animation, and personal storyline between a father and son. This movie really has Oscar (not the fish) written or splashed all over it.