PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong with Hulk?

HorseradishTree
06-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Ok, let's look at the advantages of the movie (that's possibly the wrong word):

--Ang Lee directing

--A great lineup of actors like Jennifer Connely and Nick Nolte

--Cutting Edge CGI

--Music from my favorite composer, Danny Elfman

--A Stan Lee cameo as well as Lou Ferrigno

Added on to all of the above, I'm also a huge fanboy. Ever since I saw it last night, I've been contemplating why I didn't like this film. Though I'm still not quite sure, I think it might have had a little bit to do with those constant split screen techniques constantly going on. Sure, maybe it worked for two seconds, but then it just got annoying. If I wanted multiple angles, I would have gone and rented Timecode. I also think it might have been due to the graphic violence. This sounds really wierd because it all seems just as bad as something like any of the other comic films. I think especially when {{SPOILER}} he sucker punched that dog in its unmentionables. Actually I'd say that whole scene was too much. {{END OF SPOILER}} I guess the last possible way to contemplate it is that it was just plain BORING. The Hulk comic is a pretty basic concept. A guy gets mad and turns into a green goliath. But in the movie they made it more complicated than it had to be. Overall, I'd just suggest this as a rental.

3/10

tabuno
06-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Haven't seen the Hulk yet and never had a lot of interest to see it in the first place. The cartoonish images of the Hulk in the trailers really turned me off in the first place. I imagine if unlike "Godzilla" that they took the Hulk into a really serious character study and made a comic strip character and plotline into a major dramatic epic then I could see the Hulk being a really cutting edge movie, like with Jennifer Connelly with "A Beautiful Mind." But with all the comic-inspired movies out there, the very little left to capture the imagination of the American movie going public anymore. I may get around to seeing it but so far I haven't heard much reason to.

tabuno
06-22-2003, 10:07 AM
I really didn't want to go to see The Hulk. The trailers made the bulging looking monster look childish and absurd. But by the time I left the theater I had great respect for the director Ang Lee for putting the entire comic genre onto a solid adult footing. This comic movie isn't for children especially but more directed towards the adult themes of relationships, science gone awry, about sharp drama with charcter development and the hidden demons that hide within us. While there were slow, perhaps, even boring moments in the early going, such concerns may have been the change in expectations in the movie.

Ang Lee has made a great comic book movie for adults. Like Daredevil, this whole genre has merged with a larger fan base and made it into a serious industry with wide-open possibilities much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did for science fiction. While this movie will definitely rise to the level of Finding Nemo in breaking box office receipts because of its more limited attraction, especially children offending, The Hulk will have broken new ground and make a decent enough profit to justify further exploration into this rich comic genre.

HorseradishTree
06-22-2003, 06:58 PM
You know, that just really bugs me when people say or assume that comics are just for kids. If you actually look around, not many serious kids even read them that much anymore. Anyone who wants a captivating and imaginative story can merely read one of these. One should especially notice the writings of Alan Moore. Who says comics are just for kids? Moore's From Hell was a "comic" or graphic novel, and that seemed to open things up. Road to Perdition, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, all open to any willing enough. Sorry if I seem like a holy-roller type for the comic industry, but I really want to state the facts.

Johann
06-27-2003, 03:52 PM
THIS is how you make a comic book movie.

As soon as the credits started rollling I marched to the box office and bought another ticket. Twice in one day and I still couldn't get enough.

There are points to nitpick (i.e. his pants), but I refuse to be petty with this film. I loved every minute of HULK. That's all I can say.

(Arnold might usurp the green guy- I saw him on Leno last night and the clip they showed was pretty sweet....)

My man Johnny Depp is on tonight to promote PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN .

Anybody see Diaz, Liu & Barrymore on Conan? Saucy Saucy Saucy!